Games that programmed a generation

slightlyjaded

So I'm looking at yet another game with companions that features programmable AI. And I'm thinking final fantasy iX....

Anybody else go a game that formed a generation? First person who mentions deus ex gets a programmable bitch slap.

deus ex

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

So I'm looking at yet another game with companions that features programmable AI. And I'm thinking final fantasy iX....

Anybody else go a game that formed a generation? First person who mentions deus ex gets a programmable bitch slap.

Can you give some further clarification? I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

You mean mods or something that you can use to make NPC's act differently?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

do you mean hardcoded programmable? or just their behaviors and such through in-game options?

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

Duke Nukem Forever ....

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Dragon Age?  All 3 had follower AI settings.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Sorry to clarify. Everyone has a game that probably didn't sell well, but did feature something that changed the gaming landscape. Yes deus ex was one such title with it's multi branching storyline, and multiple ways of solving problems (why I banned it, and still love the game).

My example was final fantasy IX and it's programmable AI for companions, something I think will be noticed for at least a couple of generations to come.

A computer games who's  reach will be felt for generations....

Dragon Age?  All 3 had follower AI settings.

yup, done before. which is what I was referencing with final fantasy IX

Sorry to clarify. Everyone has a game that probably didn't sell well, but did feature something that changed the gaming landscape. Yes deus ex was one such title with it's multi branching storyline, and multiple ways of solving problems (why I banned it, and still love the game).

My example was final fantasy IX and it's programmable AI for companions, something I think will be noticed for at least a couple of generations to come.

A computer games who's  reach will be felt for generations....

Skyrim for the modding and random generating quests (and paid mods Kappa )

Super Mario Bros. (for the NES) for 'story' and gameplay

The Legend of Zelda (NES) for having a battery in the cartridge (to save on)

Wii Sports for bringing motion control into games

Quake or Unreal Tournament (and also Doom and Wolfenstein earlier) for innovating 1st person shooters

CoD and Battlefield for bringing it more to the mainstream

Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart (all versions of those games) making games that are easy so play, but hard to master

Pokemon for bringing JRPG monster catching to the mainstream

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Who needs to re-program anything when we have DOOM?

CPU: Intel i5-4690k                                                               RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengance Pro DDR3-2400                                                                     Case: NZXT S340

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo                                                  Storage: Intel 730 SSD                                                                                                            PSU: EVGA 850G2

Mobo: Asus Z97-A 3.1                                                          GPU: 980ti G1                                                                                                                          OS: Windows 10 Pro

Skyrim for the modding and random generating quests (and paid mods Kappa )

Super Mario Bros. (for the NES) for 'story' and gameplay

The Legend of Zelda (NES) for having a battery in the cartridge (to save on)

Wii Sports for bringing motion control into games

Quake or Unreal Tournament (and also Doom and Wolfenstein earlier) for innovating 1st person shooters

CoD and Battlefield for bringing it more to the mainstream

Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart (all versions of those games) making games that are easy so play, but hard to master

Pokemon for bringing JRPG monster catching to the mainstream

Fair call on most, but I would argue that doom, and wolf brought it to the mainstream. (I was a lowly geek before those)

Oh, and ultima8, brought story driven RPG, eye of the beholder for CRPG.

Fair call on most, but I would argue that doom, and wolf brought it to the mainstream. (I was a lowly geek before those)

Hmm, you can argue that, but I was mostly talking about FPS games on consoles (since at least Doom was not very good on SNES and I am not sure about Wolfenstein)

minecraft?

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

Hmm, you can argue that, but I was mostly talking about FPS games on consoles (since at least Doom was not very good on SNES and I am not sure about Wolfenstein)

I'd like to go PCMASTERACEFORLIFE.......but no. there's times I just haven't had the money. Seriously, both were really PC games, yes they were ported, but they weren't a serious contender.

minecraft?

Actually, yeah. It was something someone hadn't done successfully before. A creativity tool, with just enough gameplay to drive it, and enough freedom to explore.

Although I might argue with littlebigplanet.

I'd like to go PCMASTERACEFORLIFE.......but no. there's times I just haven't had the money. Seriously, both were really PC games, yes they were ported, but they weren't a serious contender.

You can go PCMasterRace all you want, but I wouldn't care :P

Maybe CoD and BF brought multiplayer fps games on console to the mainstream.. Because in the past when you wanted to play an fps online (like Quake) you needed to do IP stuff and such..

Consoles (with their limitations) made it so games needed game server lists that you can join very easily.

You can go PCMasterRace all you want, but I wouldn't care :P

Maybe CoD and BF brought multiplayer fps games on console to the mainstream.. Because in the past when you wanted to play an fps online (like Quake) you needed to do IP stuff and such..

Consoles (with their limitations) made it so games needed game server lists that you can join very easily.

Actually I started with a microbee my mother brought home from work, so I hope I at least get alumni status. Seriously though, my uni lifestyle did inbclude numerous LAN cafes, and day of defeat. COD, and battlefield didn't do anything new, they just optimised the communication portion to make it playable over an internet connection.

Pong - for being the first mainstream video game that most people played

Space Invaders - for being one of the first mainstream shooting games

Metal Gear Solid - for cinematic storytelling

Half Life 2 - for its amazing physics engine (and source engine in general)

WOW - set the standard for MMOs

COD - mainstream gaming with wide range appeal, from kids and girls to grown ups

Minecraft - speaks for itself I think

Dune/Command and Conquer/Warcraft - for defining the RTS genre

could probably go on for days haha but im bored so heres like 5% of a list

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

montezuma's revenge/pitfall?   Patforming  pince of persia for getting it right.

for those that weren't around metal gear started out as a top down 2d stealther. brilliant for it's time, and marginally worth a playthrough today (it's a bit dated 20 years on)