Piece behind pins on HDD broke off. help.

Rusty_Shackleford

So the black piece behind the HDD broke off and I was able to jury rig it by putting it in PSU cable thingy that connects to it. Is there a way to fix this? I'm building a new rig and I don't really want to have to buy new HDD (if I do it's going to be an SSD) I'm not sure if the piece (backing plate?) would fit into the new PSU cable end. (Not sure what the cable is called It's not the red SATA cable)

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

So the black piece behind the HDD broke off and I was able to jury rig it by putting it in PSU cable thingy that connects to it. Is there a way to fix this? I'm building a new rig and I don't really want to have to buy new HDD (if I do it's going to be an SSD) I'm not sure if the piece (backing plate?) would fit into the new PSU cable end. (Not sure what the cable is called It's not the red SATA cable)

so the psu connecting end broke off? mmmk. get a hot glue gun. a 4 pin molex to sata connector. hotglue the sata end to the hdd. and hook it up via molex. its what i do bud.

"1 shot 1 kill. or in my case 500 shots and a questionable death" ~ Carlos Hathcock + Ryouichi

"Because its windows... it just happens..." ~ G33k 4 L1F3

My Build....sorta. close enough http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YMG4mG

mash connector into sata power cable. transfer all data off drive. replace.

or

mash connector into sata power cable. use drive as normal... sometime later complain about said brand having poor build quality and buy a replacement drive anyway.

The other options require soldering and electrical engineering (not really, just to be able to match the pins with the correct voltage, ground etc), which is not something you should be attempting if your on this forum asking this question.

So you can't really do anything to put the connector back on, I found that one of my predecessors at work had the same issue with the data connector and zip tied it to the sata power cable so the cable wouldn't slip and fall out. needless to say he dosen't work there anymore.

Any other suggestions? :/

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

Hey Rusty_Shackleford,

I photo of what happened would be helpful. What is the drive's brand/model? I would turn to a data recovery company for the best chance of getting the data back. Also, if you have a technician nearby, I would go there to see if the drive can be fixed. A call to the manufacturer's support could also be useful.

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/