Can you ever be classed an enthusiast with a i5 4690k

No, its not high end but you can be an enthusiast.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Its what I consider "High end mid-tier".  True enthusiast stuff is on the X79 and X99 platforms.

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

Enthusiast is the person, not the hardware. I'm a big believer in that... Mainstream is what most people buy, only.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

How are we defining "high end"? It's high end in the consumer market, but in the professional market, it doesn't offer that much.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It's no slouch but would you consider it high end/enthusiast?

Haha. Nice one. You almost got me with that joke there. :P

Anyway, No to your question. More like mainstream consumer. It's cheap and good for gaming. How could a cheap product be classified as high end (in a way).

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

Its what I consider "High end mid-tier".  True enthusiast stuff is on the X79 and X99 platforms.

x99 rules but I can't justify the £200+ motherboard prices in a few years x99 will be dead and people will still use z97!

Enthusiast is the person, not the hardware. I'm a big believer in that... Mainstream is what most people buy, only.

this.

i wouldn't classify the 4690k as enthusiast grade (but it is a good cpu non the less) but an enthusiast certainly can have one.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

Not really "High end enthusiast grade" but you don't need 5960x and big components to be an enthusiast in computer hardware.

Enthusiast can be running FXs or i3s or Core 2 duos and still be an enthusiast in hardware.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I wouldn't say interest is based on the hardware you own. Money doesn't dictate the level of enthusiasm. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

How are we defining "high end"? It's high end in the consumer market, but in the professional market, it doesn't offer that much.

This leads to the path of "anything under a Xeon E5 2699 V3 is low grade".  Isn't implied that someone using a 4690k isn't in the professional market?

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

Haha. Nice one. You almost got me with that joke there. :P

Anyway, No to your question. More like mainstream consumer. It's cheap and good for gaming. How could a cheap product be classified as high end (in a way).

maybe because it's basically more expensive then most amd stuff and the EXACT SAME as the 4970k besides from core clock and hyperthreading

To achieve the title of "PC enthusiast", you must own an AMD FX-9590, an i5 4690k isn't going to cut it with that lower performance. Sorry!

junker build in the making

This leads to the path of "anything under a Xeon E5 2699 V3 is low grade".  Isn't implied that someone using a 4690k isn't in the professional market?

No it does not lead to the path that you mention. It's high end, but in what segment? Consumer or professional? A Honda Civic isn't high end in horsepower/torque compared to a Mustang GT, but beats it in fuel economy, cost, and reliability. Therefore, one might consider it high end in those three areas or at least better than a Mustang.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

To achieve the title of "PC enthusiast", you must own an AMD FX-9590, an i5 4690k isn't going to cut it with that lower performance. Sorry!

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-vs-AMD-FX-9590

maybe because it's basically more expensive then most amd stuff and the EXACT SAME as the 4970k besides from core clock and hyperthreading

AMD are usually cheaper. (Not expert here) But I think some how, they don't perform that well when it comes to gaming.

On a serious note, 4690K is really just normal mainstream product for gaming. Maybe it's just to me, high end will usually be referring to those X99 stuff. 4690K is really good for gaming now, I'm also having 4690K in my rig. Loving it!

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

Exactly. If you are enthused about computers (or anything), you are an enthusiast. Calling a certain class of hardware "enthusiast" is absurd. It's basically synonymous to high tier/overkill tier anyway, so why not just use those terms?

AMD are usually cheaper. (Not expert here) But I think some how, they don't perform that well when it comes to gaming.

On a serious note, 4690K is really just normal mainstream product for gaming. Maybe it's just to me, high end will usually be referring to those X99 stuff. 4690K is really good for gaming now, I'm also having 4690K in my rig. Loving it!

nice there is no benefit in gaming thats noticeable compared to a haswell I7

No it does not lead to the path that you mention. It's high end, but in what segment? Consumer or professional? A Honda Civic isn't high end in horsepower/torque compared to a Mustang GT, but beats it in fuel economy, cost, and reliability.

But that mustang get's crushed by the top fuel dragster with 10K HP.   There's truly only 1 best of the best, top-end anything in any category ever invented.  Where to draw the line is the subjective part that isn't easy to do.  

But that mustang get's crushed by the top fuel dragster with 10K HP.   There's truly only 1 best of the best, top-end anything in any category ever invented.  Where to draw the line is the subjective part that isn't easy to do.  

Terms aren't always cut-and-dry.

Exactly. If you are enthused about computers (or anything), you are an enthusiast. Calling a certain class of hardware "enthusiast" is absurd. It's basically synonymous to high tier/overkill tier anyway, so why not just use those terms?

according to Wikipedia not even the 4790k is high end

post-196573-0-81878800-1430202901_thumb.

nice there is no benefit in gaming thats noticeable compared to a haswell I7

Not sure about that. But at least in the GTA V video LTT compared the 4 core and 4 core with HT. 4 core perform 1 fps better than the other 4 core with HT. I'm still new at all this. So, kind of a noob here. Haha. 

Spoiler

i disagree. there is definitely enthusiast grade hardware. unlocked hex core processors on intel's side isn't needed for professional work and they would fill the professional requirements quite well at stock. the 295x2 graphics card wasn't exactly needed. it was made for enthusiasts. hardware can certainly be enthusiast grade, but having enthusiast grade hardware doesn't make you an enthusiast.

you could be running an amd phenom ii x4 and a gtx 560 and still be an enthusiast. just like you could have a 5980X and quad sli titan x and not be an enthusiast. however there are parts made for enthusiasts. an i5 4440 isn't enthusiast grade. can't overclock it, not top teir performance. the 4690k is high end consumer, can be overclocked so it is affordable to enthusiasts that can't get the high end stuff.

i'm going to stop rambling at somepoint, i swear ;)

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

For fuck sake I wish I spent the extra and got an i7 Amazon won't let me return it now!