4 pin pwm fan cable max length ?

im setting up a external rad does anyone know what is the max length you can make a pwm cable and still have it send the pwm signal good enough for my fan controller to control them?

around 3-6 feet it will be away from my pc .  i know someone will ask what im using to connect the fans its  swiftech pwm splitter + a two way fan splitter to connect the last one,  all 9 fans are ek vardars . the voltage to them i will either use some external power source .if not i will run a molex/sata extension to it to power it. ive seen on some sites the max length custom you can get is 24-36in .

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

im setting up a external rad does anyone know what is the max length you can make a pwm cable and still have it send the pwm signal good enough for my fan controller to control them?

around 3-6 feet it will be away from my pc .  i know someone will ask what im using to connect the fans its  swiftech pwm splitter + a two way fan splitter to connect the last one,  all 9 fans are ek vardars . the voltage to them i will either use some external power source .if not i will run a molex/sata extension to it to power it. ive seen on some sites the max length custom you can get is 24-36in .

For being 3-6 feet away that might be pushing it, I'm not to sure about the signature of the EK Vardar fan's PWM requirements, since I do know some require stronger PWM signals like the Corsair fans where they just won't work on a swiftech PWM splitter. I would say do some testing to see what it can do that would be my best guess.

I'm currently in the process of waiting for parts to build a PWM singal booster to control my Corsair fans on the swiftech splitter which should help. If your interested here's the link:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/700653-Boosting-PWM-signal-from-Mobo

For being 3-6 feet away that might be pushing it, I'm not to sure about the signature of the EK Vardar fan's PWM requirements, since I do know some require stronger PWM signals like the Corsair fans where they just won't work on a swiftech PWM splitter. I would say do some testing to see what it can do that would be my best guess.

I'm currently in the process of waiting for parts to build a PWM singal booster to control my Corsair fans on the swiftech splitter which should help. If your interested here's the link:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/700653-Boosting-PWM-signal-from-Mobo

I built that signal booster on a breadboard and it didn't seem to work. I will try soldering it together tomorrow and see what happens. 

I built that signal booster on a breadboard and it didn't seem to work. I will try soldering it together tomorrow and see what happens. 

Oh that's not good then  :mellow:

I was hoping to get the parts by the end of the month and start soldering it together so I can properly control the speed of my fans, let me know what happens I'd be interested in the results.

atm i have 5 of them on the splitter with my software that controls them is happy i guess i will just have to order the cables and see if it will still work on pwm i pray they do these things get load at full speed

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

atm i have 5 of them on the splitter with my software that controls them is happy i guess i will just have to order the cables and see if it will still work on pwm i pray they do these things get load at full speed

Give it a try I do know however if you use larger diameter wire it will have less signal loss over longer distance, which may help a little.

Good to see the Vardar fans have no problems, can't say the same for my Corsair fans.

i have corsairs 2 of them on a splitter dont work which is sad

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler