Building My First Gaming PC, Need Help Choosing CPU, Motherboard and RAM

I am working on putting a list of parts together for my first gaming PC. My first question is on choosing the CPU, I am thinking of getting either the Intel Core i5-4460 or the i5-4690 non "k" version, I do not plan to overclock. For gaming, will there be a difference in performance between these two processors, or should I go with the cheaper one, since the 4460 is about $40 less than the 4690 and the only thing I noticed different between the two was the 4690 has 300mhz more than the 4460.

The next thing I had trouble with was the motherboard, I know basically nothing about these, I don't know what brand is better and what I need. I will not be overclocking and I do not plan to have more than one GPU, so if that helps in any way. I most likely will want to get a normal ATX board, I don't know the difference between H87 and H97 and if there are any other H boards, if someone could briefly explain the difference, that would be a big help (I know that Z boards are for overclocking and SLI/Xfire builds, so I don't think I will need one of those).

Finally, the memory, or RAM. There are so many different brands out there, I don't know if it is worth spending $10 more for one brand, or if there is no benefit of spending more. I would like a set of 2x4GB sticks, DDR3-1600. I was looking at G.Skill memory but it was a bit more expensive than the rest, I would like to know if it is worth spending more for RAM or should I save?

Thank you to anybody who is able to help with all my questions!

300mhz can be quite a significant difference in some games.

There is no difference in RAM brands, just look at the MHz, volts and CAS latencies.

You can get away with a pretty cheap motherboard, unless you want specific features like custom fan control that is motherboard powered.

300mhz can be quite a significant difference in some games.

There is no difference in RAM brands, just look at the MHz, volts and CAS latencies.

You can get away with a pretty cheap motherboard, unless you want specific features like custom fan control that is motherboard powered.

Do you think it would be worth spending around $40 more for the 4690 then, or do you think it will be fine? I will look for a few different RAM brands and compare, am I looking for higher or lower volts? I don't really care for any fancy features on a motherboard, I just want to be able to easily install all the parts on it, have a simple bios, and a durable good quality board.

Save the $40 and get the 4460, it's nearly as good as the 4690, plenty to game on for a while.

2x4gb Ripjaws are currently on shell shocker for $49:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

If you don't want to buy them now, just get whatever is cheapest at the time of purchase, they'll all work fine.

9 series chipsets come with support for haswell refresh cpus out of the box, both of those cpus are haswell refresh. If you get a 8 series (h87) it will still work but will need a bios update to support haswell refresh. I believe 9 series chipsets (h97 and z97) also support m.2 storage where 8 series don't. Just buy from a reputable brand like MSI, Gigabyte, Asrock, Asus whatever board has the features you want at a low price.

Save the $40 and get the 4460, it's nearly as good as the 4690, plenty to game on for a while.

2x4gb Ripjaws are currently on shell shocker for $49:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

If you don't want to buy them now, just get whatever is cheapest at the time of purchase, they'll all work fine.

9 series chipsets come with support for haswell refresh cpus out of the box, both of those cpus are haswell refresh. If you get a 8 series (h87) it will still work but will need a bios update to support haswell refresh. I believe 9 series chipsets (h97 and z97) also support m.2 storage where 8 series don't. Just buy from a reputable brand like MSI, Gigabyte, Asrock, Asus whatever board has the features you want at a low price.

ok thanks, I will most likely get a 9 series then, I will put a list of parts together now, just tell me what you think, thanks for the help.

just came across a site comparing the 4460 and the 4690 for gaming, here is the link: http://www.game-debate.com/cpu/index.php?pid=2076&pid2=2074&compare=core-i5-4460-3-2ghz-vs-core-i5-4690-3-5ghz at the right, under the label saying, Gaming Performance Comparison, it shows how the 4690 is more powerful than the recommended CPU for the games listed, but the 4460 shows some games still above the recommended CPU, but a bit lower percentage, also some games are a bit below the recommended CPU, do you think it will be noticeable or should I still be able to play games smoothly without lag spikes or any other fps drops with the 4460?

just came across a site comparing the 4460 and the 4690 for gaming, here is the link: http://www.game-debate.com/cpu/index.php?pid=2076&pid2=2074&compare=core-i5-4460-3-2ghz-vs-core-i5-4690-3-5ghz at the right, under the label saying, Gaming Performance Comparison, it shows how the 4690 is more powerful than the recommended CPU for the games listed, but the 4460 shows some games still above the recommended CPU, but a bit lower percentage, also some games are a bit below the recommended CPU, do you think it will be noticeable or should I still be able to play games smoothly without lag spikes or any other fps drops with the 4460?

I wouldn't really go by what that site says I put in a core I5-2500 and it had higher ratings than your newer and benchmark proven better cpu choice.

Some (not many) games prefer cpu speed and others prefer core count. save your money.

As to the chipsets

H - is the no overclock (sometimes) light features chipset (note: I have not found an H chipset that supports sli, but most do support crossfire)

Z - Overclock enabled, also usually has the newest/largest feature set

87 / 97 - this is the chipset model number and usually is tied to a socket type

I wouldn't really go by what that site says I put in a core I5-2500 and it had higher ratings than your newer and benchmark proven better cpu choice.

Some (not many) games prefer cpu speed and others prefer core count. save your money.

As to the chipsets

H - is the no overclock (sometimes) light features chipset (note: I have not found an H chipset that supports sli, but most do support crossfire)

yea I will just get the 4460, I am also getting an MSI GTX 970 so I should be set for gaming, just not sure which motherboard I should get, out of the motherboards in the link I posted before, which should I get? Or if there is another in mind, please tell me, thanks.

out of these motherboards, which one should I get, I would like whichever one that is the most durable and reliable that is easy to build with and a simple bios.

https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#s=24&c=100&sort=d6&page=1&f=2&R=5,4

https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#s=24&c=100&sort=a8&page=1&f=2&R=5,4&E=1,2

M.2 slot is something I would want.

The Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H does also have support for nvme ssd's (the next new in storage)

https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#s=24&c=100&sort=a8&page=1&f=2&R=5,4&E=1,2

M.2 slot is something I would want.

The Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H does also have support for nvme ssd's (the next new in storage)

what are M.2 slots and what do they do? also, I don't think I am getting an SSD, at least for now since I am kinda on a budget.

what are M.2 slots and what do they do? also, I don't think I am getting an SSD, at least for now since I am kinda on a budget.

M.2 is an interface design (like sata and pci-express) infact M.2 can support sata (protocol) and pcie (protocol) [sata/pcie are both an interface design and a protocol]

M.2 has a higher data bandwidth (with pcie on M.2 based ssd's) than a traditional sata drive.

Nvme is a new protocol that can run over the pcie connector (by design) or the m.2 connector (with an adapter) but the motherboard has to support the protocol for devices that run on it to work.

You may not think about getting an SSD now but it is better to have the ability to use those types of interfaces in the future as an upgrade path.

M.2 is an interface design (like sata and pci-express) infact M.2 can support sata (protocol) and pcie (protocol) [sata/pcie are both an interface design and a protocol]

M.2 has a higher data bandwidth (with pcie on M.2 based ssd's) than a traditional sata drive.

Nvme is a new protocol that can run over the pcie connector (by design) or the m.2 connector (with an adapter) but the motherboard has to support the protocol for devices that run on it to work.

You may not think about getting an SSD now but it is better to have the ability to use those types of interfaces in the future as an upgrade path.

ok, thank you for explaining that to me, which board do you recommend I get for my build?

As to the chipsets

strongly disagree.. most games prefer 4 fast cores more than 6-8 slow ones.

We're all dying slowly

Pentium G3258 3.2 ghz / ECS z97 pk MOBO / Intel Stock Cooler / R9 290 DD / Corsair Carbide Air 240 / 4GB mushkin stealth ram at 1600 / XFX 650W 80+ gold PSU / Kingston v300 240GB drive W/300GB seagate drive / HP x2301 / Gateway KB / Monoprice GM

strongly disagree.. most games prefer 4 fast cores more than 6-8 slow ones.

Looking back I can see how that comes across as saying that. What I wanted to convey was.

Compared to the 4460 some games would want a faster cpu and some more cores. Meaning that the cpu choice would be good for all around gaming (not targeted at a specific games preference)

Looking back I can see how that comes across as saying that. What I wanted to convey was.

Compared to the 4460 some games would want a faster cpu and some more cores. Meaning that the cpu choice would be good for all around gaming (not targeted at a specific games preference)

true have to agree with that but yeah more cores doesnt mean more fps

We're all dying slowly

Pentium G3258 3.2 ghz / ECS z97 pk MOBO / Intel Stock Cooler / R9 290 DD / Corsair Carbide Air 240 / 4GB mushkin stealth ram at 1600 / XFX 650W 80+ gold PSU / Kingston v300 240GB drive W/300GB seagate drive / HP x2301 / Gateway KB / Monoprice GM

I don't know much about the motherboard and memory, but I've learned from experience that i5's perform MUCH better overclocked.  I highly recommend spending a bit more to get a k version.  Even if you don't plan to overclock in the beginning, it will make overclocking an option in the future.  If you do, the Hyper 212 Evo is a perfect cooler for light overclocking, and it will be worth the price.

I don't always use Vessel.... but when I do, it's because of Scrapyard Wars.