LG G3 or Oneplus One

Chri5

I can get a LG G3 for $410+tax new 

I can sell my Oneplus one for $450

I'm worried about the Oneplus One not lasting very long as I use authenticator on it a lot and am worried I'll get locked out if my phone stops starting one day. 

Is the LG G3 a step down or a step up?

Which would you go for and why?

I know the G3 has:

Better screen

Better camera

Better build

but the Oneplus One has:

Better battery life (1-3 more hours of screen on time)

Better OS (cyanogenmod 12 is pretty quick)

What I value most is the battery life and the speed.

I was also thinking of getting a 6000/7500mAh extended battery for the LG G3 that makes it one phat phone. I'm not sure how I'll like that though. I wear somewhat tight work pants and it might get a little annoying.

Case: Fractal Design R4 (x2 Noctua 140mm Fans, x2 Fractal Design Fans)            Processor: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.2GHz (Hyper 212 Evo)             Audioengine A5+ Black Speakers

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3                                           Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC                                               Corsair K65 RGB Cherry MX Red

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4X4GB DDR3-1600                                                     Power Supply: OCZ Z-Series Semi Modular Gold 850W                 ASUS & LG 21.5 Monitor (Dual monitor arm)

If authenticator stops working, you can use your backup codes, text message to another number, ... or a list of other things.

I don't see why the oneplus is any more likely to stop working as compared with the lg g3. 

BTW the g4 is coming out tomorrow. 

I have the g3, how much value to you give to wireless charging/IR blaster though? I use both daily, just feels very IoT

I'm still an adventurer like you, and I have yet to take an arrow in the knee

One plus one. And the g3 has a bad screen. High res does not equate to a better screen. From what I saw it looked like it had terrible colors. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

but the Oneplus One has:

Better battery life (1-3 more hours of screen on time)

Better OS (cyanogenmod 12 is pretty quick)

What I value most is the battery life and the speed.

I was also thinking of getting a 6000/7500mAh extended battery for the LG G3 that makes it one phat phone. I'm not sure how I'll like that though. I wear somewhat tight work pants and it might get a little annoying.

Absolutely go for the G3.

If you want CM12, just flash it on the G3 with TWRP(must be rooted), stock firmware is fast enough with Nova Launcher.

Battery life is good, once I got to 4% when I arrived late home, but that was after like 9 hours of recording video and taking photos+internet browsing with 3G... Or 18% in the first week, after 12 hours of playing games on the subway and taking pictures+ 3G usage.

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

@Chri5 Get the OnePlus. The screen on the G3 is NOT better. The colors on it are awful, as @SeanBond stated and I have personally tested. It's slightly more sharp but unless you're actually comparing side-by-side you won't tell the difference between 1080p and 1440p at 5.5".

"Rawr XD"

If authenticator stops working, you can use your backup codes, text message to another number, ... or a list of other things.

I don't see why the oneplus is any more likely to stop working as compared with the lg g3. 

Yeah but will take a while to come to market :(

Groomlake Authority

Yeah but will take a while to come to market :(

Worth the wait if the price of the g3 comes down...

Some websites don't offer the other methods. Google is the best for backup codes and other methods of 2 factor though.

I have the g3, how much value to you give to wireless charging/IR blaster though? I use both daily, just feels very IoT

I barely watch TV and don't find wireless charging to be efficient enough yet.

Absolutely go for the G3.

If you want CM12, just flash it on the G3 with TWRP(must be rooted), stock firmware is fast enough with Nova Launcher.

Battery life is good, once I got to 4% when I arrived late home, but that was after like 9 hours of recording video and taking photos+internet browsing with 3G... Or 18% in the first week, after 12 hours of playing games on the subway and taking pictures+ 3G usage.

Do you mind posting your Screen on Time at the end of the day? Its in settings > Battery > Screen.

I saw on reddit that most people don't get more than 3-4 hours on it. Do you run any battery saving things? Different kernal? Greenify?

I smile at the LG G4 :D but yeah get the G3.

Will probably cost a finger or two :( $700+?

Case: Fractal Design R4 (x2 Noctua 140mm Fans, x2 Fractal Design Fans)            Processor: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.2GHz (Hyper 212 Evo)             Audioengine A5+ Black Speakers

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3                                           Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC                                               Corsair K65 RGB Cherry MX Red

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4X4GB DDR3-1600                                                     Power Supply: OCZ Z-Series Semi Modular Gold 850W                 ASUS & LG 21.5 Monitor (Dual monitor arm)

Will probably cost a finger or two :( $700+?

Well i think it will be 650$ and more than 700$ for the leather version for sure.

Groomlake Authority

OnePlusOne.

The battery is far better, I normally got around 5-6hours on screen time.

Do you mind posting your Screen on Time at the end of the day? Its in settings > Battery > Screen.

I saw on reddit that most people don't get more than 3-4 hours on it. Do you run any battery saving things? Different kernal? Greenify?

No problem. I only use battery saving for like 30 minutes when I start my day(way from home to the subway station where I change for another lane) in which I listen to music and play some games or browse 9gag with 3G... I will try to post a screenshot of it when I get home tomorrow... I usually get home with 70-65% left after 8 hours.

Heyyo,

Tbh I thought the LG G3 would have a great screen... but after reading deeper due to this thread? I found the technical issues with the screen here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/+supercurioFrançoisSimond/albums/6025967797182346385

So it's not the greatest screen but it's an ok screen. Pretty much all the smartphone screens won't produce the most accurate colors and have a lot of color saturation but such is life unless you're probably buying some ridiculous $1k smartphone that isn't made of gold lol... then again, is there any smartphones with accurate colors? I know the Samsung Galaxy S6 is maybe the only phone that tromps the iPhone 6's screen.

Although... if we look at the LG G3 compared to the Galaxy S5...

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Screen-comparison-iPhone-6-vs-Galaxy-S5-vs-G3-vs-One-M8-vs-iPhone-5s_id3810

The LG G3 is still a better screen than the Galaxy S5. More accurate colors albeit the contrast isn't quite as good.

If you were buying a smartphone for a screen though? The Galaxy Note 4 or the Galaxy S6 are among the best Android phones right meow.

As for color temperature between the LG G3 and the OnePlus One? The OnePlus One has better color temperature of 7066 vs the G3's 7099... so the gap isn't insane or anything though... but the G3 has better overall color accuracy of 3.60 good RGBCMY score vs the OPO's 5.1 average RGBCMY score.

I dunno, in the end? Both the LG G3 and OnePlus One are awesome phones... as for longevity? I haven't really heard reports of OnePlus One's dying after only one year (we just passed their one year birthday) and I've been more than happy with my OPO... In the end? Odds are unless you drop the phone on the ground a lot? The lithium polymer battery in smartphones will die before the phone itself. Such is the weakness of lithium polymer batteries just like lithium ion batteries before it.

Looking at teardown guides for the OPO? It's actually really easy to replace the battery which is good in the long run. :)

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/OnePlus+One+Teardown/26484

Luckily? The LG G3 also has a really easy battery replacement which is also good in the long run. :)

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/LG+G3+Battery+Replacement/32334

.... hey wait, did your first post really say you want to sell your OnePlus One for an LG G3? Really? That's more of a side-step or potentially on how you like the button layout and such a potential down-grade... to be honest either way? that's a waste of money. It's not going to be an extremely different device... and I don't know if you game or not but any games with 3d models will run worse on the LG G3 due to the screen resolution... but in the end? That's my opinion and yours to make of it what you will.

If you're clumsy like me and don't want to risk the health of the OnePlus One on a drop? Get the Ringke Fusion case. It's freaking amazing and very slim form factor plus it's got a clear version or smoke haze depending on which you prefer. I went with the smoke.

http://www.amazon.com/Rearth-Absorption-Premium-Protector-OnePlus/dp/B00SX1NNMU

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

http://imgur.com/a/nqYyC

Screen on time 2h 45m 37s, 100% brightness... this was a short day though, when I was gone for Easter holiday, I used it for 16+ hours and it didn't die on me, but got to around 10% or something and that was when I put my sim card in my iPhone 4s just for phonecalls and music.

@Chri5

Heyyo,

Tbh I thought the LG G3 would have a great screen... but after reading deeper due to this thread? I found the technical issues with the screen here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/+supercurioFrançoisSimond/albums/6025967797182346385

So it's not the greatest screen but it's an ok screen. Pretty much all the smartphone screens won't produce the most accurate colors and have a lot of color saturation but such is life unless you're probably buying some ridiculous $1k smartphone that isn't made of gold lol... then again, is there any smartphones with accurate colors? I know the Samsung Galaxy S6 is maybe the only phone that tromps the iPhone 6's screen.

Although... if we look at the LG G3 compared to the Galaxy S5...

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Screen-comparison-iPhone-6-vs-Galaxy-S5-vs-G3-vs-One-M8-vs-iPhone-5s_id3810

The LG G3 is still a better screen than the Galaxy S5. More accurate colors albeit the contrast isn't quite as good.

If you were buying a smartphone for a screen though? The Galaxy Note 4 or the Galaxy S6 are among the best Android phones right meow.

As for color temperature between the LG G3 and the OnePlus One? The OnePlus One has better color temperature of 7066 vs the G3's 7099... so the gap isn't insane or anything though... but the G3 has better overall color accuracy of 3.60 good RGBCMY score vs the OPO's 5.1 average RGBCMY score.

I dunno, in the end? Both the LG G3 and OnePlus One are awesome phones... as for longevity? I haven't really heard reports of OnePlus One's dying after only one year (we just passed their one year birthday) and I've been more than happy with my OPO... In the end? Odds are unless you drop the phone on the ground a lot? The lithium polymer battery in smartphones will die before the phone itself. Such is the weakness of lithium polymer batteries just like lithium ion batteries before it.

Looking at teardown guides for the OPO? It's actually really easy to replace the battery which is good in the long run. :)

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/OnePlus+One+Teardown/26484

Luckily? The LG G3 also has a really easy battery replacement which is also good in the long run. :)

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/LG+G3+Battery+Replacement/32334

.... hey wait, did your first post really say you want to sell your OnePlus One for an LG G3? Really? That's more of a side-step or potentially on how you like the button layout and such a potential down-grade... to be honest either way? that's a waste of money. It's not going to be an extremely different device... and I don't know if you game or not but any games with 3d models will run worse on the LG G3 due to the screen resolution... but in the end? That's my opinion and yours to make of it what you will.

If you're clumsy like me and don't want to risk the health of the OnePlus One on a drop? Get the Ringke Fusion case. It's freaking amazing and very slim form factor plus it's got a clear version or smoke haze depending on which you prefer. I went with the smoke.

http://www.amazon.com/Rearth-Absorption-Premium-Protector-OnePlus/dp/B00SX1NNMU

That was one comprehensive post. I read it all and checked out the links. I don't have a huge concern with screen quality at the flagship level.

I was a victim of fear mongering in /r/oneplus so I've been looking around for new phones. Nothing really compares to the OPO and anything that does isn't quite worth it or has some other flaw... like touchwiz or lower battery life.

http://imgur.com/a/nqYyC

Screen on time 2h 45m 37s, 100% brightness... this was a short day though, when I was gone for Easter holiday, I used it for 16+ hours and it didn't die on me, but got to around 10% or something and that was when I put my sim card in my iPhone 4s just for phonecalls and music.

@Chri5

Thanks!

Your G3 seems like a beast

Thanks!

Your G3 seems like a beast

No problem :D 

Yeah, it is indeed. I can't wait to try out the G4 and get it early next year :)

the g3 ofc. i'm sure it will get the new g4 UI with 5.1 update that looks great and runs smooth. its more compact,way better camera and a lot of functions like ir remote,multiwindow,knock code,that selfie gesture etc. heck the g2 camera is better than oneplus

Heyyo,

the g3 ofc. i'm sure it will get the new g4 UI with 5.1 update that looks great and runs smooth. its more compact,way better camera and a lot of functions like ir remote,multiwindow,knock code,that selfie gesture etc. heck the g2 camera is better than oneplus

Yeah the camera is better on the flagship no doubt... well, minus the HTC One M8 lol, that Ultrapixel without OIS (dunno why they dropped it when it was present in the M7's identical Ultrapixel camera). Still, the Sony Exmor IMX214 with 13 MP f/2.0 is pretty good overall... I just wish it has Optical Image Stabilization but maybe OnePlus will add it in with the OnePlus 2 that will eventually come out this year.

Yeah I've heard that there was some complains with the LG UX on the G3 so it will be nice if it gets a little more refined in a future update.

As for custom roms on the OnePlus One? If you're comfortable with unlocking your bootloader and rooting? You can always install Exodus Android which should improve battery usage... cause it definitely feels like CM12s does have a bit of battery drain issues (maybe it's fixed in the CM12.1 nightlies but I haven't tried it yet)... and then on top of that if you want even better battery performance? Flash Franco Kernel as they're even better on battery performance than the stock kernel. :)

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case