G sync framerate above refresh rate

ianjd27

I'm looking into buying a g sync enabled monitor although I'm a little confused. Let's say my framerate is 100 fps and my g sync monitor's refresh rate is 75hz. Would it just introduce tearing or would it enable v sync and introduce stuttering and lag? Anyone know?

Thanks

As far as I know it simply wouldn't let the monior refresh rate go above what the gpu is putting out and vice versa. edit: and most certainly avoids what v-sync does.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

it would "introduce v-sync", but not exactly. Gsync is a technology that allows the GPU and the monitor to communicate. Your framerate will be 75FPS/Hz, as the GPU will only send a image when the monitor is ready to display it. This also works in the inverse, if the Monitor is ready but the frame isn't(<75FPS), then the last frame will be repeated until there is a new one, removing any possible tearing due to the display of a partially processed image. There shouldn't be any noticeable lag and definitely no sttutering.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

So with g sync I won't have to worry about my graphics card being too beefy for my monitor to play without tearing?

I'm looking into buying a g sync enabled monitor although I'm a little confused. Let's say my framerate is 100 fps and my g sync monitor's refresh rate is 75hz. Would it just introduce tearing or would it enable v sync and introduce stuttering and lag? Anyone know?

It will run/cap at 75 FPS.

"Rawr XD"

Ok, yes and no. To be specific. G Sync past the refresh rate of the monitor is V sync. You will not get tearing on a G Sync monitor if you have G Sync enabled because it will force V Sync on. Freesync, on the other hand, gives you the option to have V Sync turn on or remain off when the fps passes the refresh rate of the monitor. With G Sync you have no choice. Therefore, it's impossible to get tearing on a G Sync monitor unless you have G Sync off completely.

| Intel 5820K OC'd 4.6Ghz (Swifttech H320 X2) | Asus x99 Deluxe w/ USB 3.1 | 32GB Corsair DDR4 Ram | 2 Nvidia GTX 980ti Classified's | 250gb Samsung EVO SSD OS Drive | 128GB Samsung SSD Cache Drive | 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 2TB & 4TB Western Digital HDD | Corsair K70 Keyboard | Beyerdynamic 990 Pro 250 | ASUS 27" ROG Swift

Ok, yes and no. To be specific. G Sync past the refresh rate of the monitor is V sync. You will not get tearing on a G Sync monitor if you have G Sync enabled because it will force V Sync on. Freesync, on the other hand, gives you the option to have V Sync turn on or remain off when the fps passes the refresh rate of the monitor. With G Sync you have no choice. Therefore, it's impossible to get tearing on a G Sync monitor unless you have G Sync off completely.

So this would imply that g sync when forcing V sync on would cause the input lag and stuttering associated with it.

So this would imply that g sync when forcing V sync on would cause the input lag and stuttering associated with it.

No, because the stutter comes from refresh rate dropping below the monitor's refresh rate while V-SYNC is active. In this case as soon as the refresh rate drops below the monitor's refresh rate, V-SYNC is deactivated so you don't get the associated stutter. The input lag likewise is only really apparent at low refresh rates.

Knowing that the monitor's frequency will be doubled of the framerate from the gpu, when the frame rate is lower then the minimum frequency of the monitor. I would think it would happen the other way around when the fps is higher then the maximum frequency of the monitor. But we dunno the specs og G-sync2 yet.

Rob