Raid Problems

Hello all. Yesterday I installed two 3.0TB WD Reds in my computer and used the onboard raid on my z97 pro to put them in raid one. I then plugged in my os ssd and it would not boot. Does anyong know why this is? Whats the fix?

Travis

Hello all. Yesterday I installed two 3.0TB WD Reds in my computer and used the onboard raid on my z97 pro to put them in raid one. I then plugged in my os ssd and it would not boot. Does anyong know why this is? Whats the fix?

Did u configured raid1, or just market those drives as raid in bios?

What kind of an error u get? Or u just see "sorry, I will not boot" label on the screen?

I configured the two drives(by fallowing linus' video) and there is no error just the "sorry, will not boot".

Travis

Did u configured raid1, or just market those drives as raid in bios?

What kind of an error u get? Or u just see "sorry, I will not boot" label on the screen?

I configured the two drives(by fallowing linus' video) and there is no error just the "sorry, will not boot".

Travis

did they change your boot device order in the bios =P

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

In the BIOS I guess you would have had to set the controller to RAID, Is where the SSD connected still set to AHCI or IDE?

If you've set the SSD port to RAID, then it would be trying to pass the drive through to the RAID chip, hence it wouldnt be detected

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

In the BIOS I guess you would have had to set the controller to RAID, Is where the SSD connected still set to AHCI or IDE?

If you've set the SSD port to RAID, then it would be trying to pass the drive through to the RAID chip, hence it wouldnt be detected

Does this mean I have to reset up my ssd? (re install my os?)

Travis

Hey slavano,

If you remove the drives from the system and attach only the SSD, are you still able to boot? What mode is the SSD on? 
I would support @Jarsky and also suggest that you put the SSD into AHCI mode and try booting up again. If it passes through the RAID controller, it shouldn't be detected. You should still have your data on it (including the OS).

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

I was able to boot when the motherboard was set to AHCi mode soo I think i have to install the Os when the board is in RAID mode. 

Travis

I was able to boot when the motherboard was set to AHCi mode soo I think i have to install the Os when the board is in RAID mode. 

Yes, when swapping modes between AHCI, RAID and IDE you should reinstall the OS. There are ways to do it after you've installed the OS, but it's a bit complicated and involves a certain amount of risk. You can look them up on the internet. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/