Problems with MSI GTX 970

Toxiic

Hey guys, I've been having this issue with my graphics card recently where it has been randomly crashing in games like CS:GO, Civ 5 and Cities Skylines. It always crashes and I usually get the error,  'Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered.'

I thought that it was a hardware problem so I checked over the specs of my motherboard (only had it for 3 weeks) and realised I only have PCIE 2.0 x16 lanes where as the 970 runs on PCIE 3.0. I understand that PCIE is backwards compatible but I'm not sure whether this is the cause for the crashes as I don't know too much about how these things work.

Cheers in advance for giving me a hand. :)

:)

Your PCI isnt the issue. That just sounds like a thermal, or a power limit throttle. Maybe you pushed the GPU too far in overclocking, or your PSU isnt beefy enough. What are your other specs?

EDIT: Just looked at your profile, you have a 500w PSU with an FX 6300, multiple drives and multiple monitors. You're almost certainly reaching the power limit, so you either can underclock your GPU a fair amount, or buy a new PSU.(Pro tip, Toxiic, follow your topics to get updates :))

Edited by improbablepants

“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

snip

PCIe 2.0 shouldn't be a problem. If you've overclocked, set it back to stock speeds. You could also try turning off GPU boost. 

List your specs.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Specs are:

Corsair CX500M (500w)

AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5GHz

AsRock 990Fx Killer ATX

MSI GTX 970

Corsair Vengence LP 8GB (1 x 8GB)

Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Vector 150 SSD 120gb

Your PCI isnt the issue. That just sounds like a thermal, or a power limit throttle. Maybe you pushed the GPU too far in overclocking, or your PSU isnt beefy enough. What are your other specs?

EDIT: Just looked at your profile, you have a 500w PSU with an FX 6300, multiple drives and multiple monitors. You're almost certainly reaching the power limit, so you either can underclock your GPU a fair amount, or buy a new PSU.(Pro tip, Toxiic, follow your topics to get updates :))

I'll give the underclock a shot and thanks for the tip. :)

something like this is usually a driver or overclock issue. IF you have to underclock your gpu though send it back and get a rma because really you should not have to underclock a 970...

Reinistallting the drivers is a good one, which does mean removing everything restarting the pc, maybe even do a regestry clean and then reinstall...

Sounds like a software issue to me mate.

Try doing a clean install of your graphics drivers.

You'll find the drivers for your card on the nVidia website :)

Hope this helps!

This seems to have solved it, ran some tests on 3D Mark (Sky Diver and Firestrike) and I havent see any crashes or fragmentations on the screen! (Crashed before) Thanks!

Update: Driver reinstall hasn't seemed to fix the issue (it just didn't occur for a while :( ). It seems like if I overclock my graphics card by even +1 (on Msi Afterburner) It causes my games to crash every now and again (haven't tried this with CS:GO yet). This doesn't seem right to me; If anyone is able to give their thought of what the possible problem could be, that would be great!

Thanks!

500w is more than enough. And what do the monitors have to do with it anyway? The gpu won't pull much more from the psu because of that.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud