What is the difference between Asus ROG G501 and ZB Pro UX501?

Go to solution Solved by brickster,

Hello,

Due to moving to a more cramped apartment, I don't think I can bring my desktop computer. Thus I've been looking into gaming laptops.

I'm a bit picky in the sense that I want mobility and thinness along with some performance. So that left me stopping by at Asus where I found these models:

The ROG G501 (http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G501JW/overview/) and the Zenbook Pro UX501 (http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ZenBook_Pro_UX501/)

Now I wonder: What is the difference between these models? And now I'm not talking about the obvious differences found in the specs-chart and the aluminium body vs non-aluminium. I'm wondering about component quality, cooling systems keyboard-feel, panle quality and stuff like that

ROG is known for having high-durability components and all those goodies, but Zenbook Pro is also their highest line in business class laptops which also should have very durable components.

Do the ROG feature better cooling?

Sub-questions regarding the GTX 960M, which both models feature:

1) Can the 960M really utilize 4GB VRAM or is that just an unnecessary upgrade?

2) My current desktop features an old Radeon 6870 DirectCU TOP (no OC) - is the 960M a upgrade or downgrade in terms of performance? As long as I can play the current game my Radon manages with the 960M I'm happy. Any upgrade in performance is a plus.

Finally: Any suggestions for some other option from other brands are welcome, but 15-inch models ONLY.

The differences between the 2 other than the g501 costing $1600 and the UX501 around $2000 is the g501 has more Vram (yes it can utilize it all) and the option for a 1080p IPS display (I just can't seem to find any places that have the 1080p screen. To answer your other question the HD6870 the gtx 960 would be an upgrade due to the Maxwell architecture and having much more Vram than the 6870. If you wanted a beefier GPU then I would recommend the MSI gs60 shost pro since it has a gtx 970m and comes in 1080 and 4k variants.

Hello,

Due to moving to a more cramped apartment, I don't think I can bring my desktop computer. Thus I've been looking into gaming laptops.

I'm a bit picky in the sense that I want mobility and thinness along with some performance. So that left me stopping by at Asus where I found these models:

The ROG G501 (http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G501JW/overview/) and the Zenbook Pro UX501 (http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ZenBook_Pro_UX501/)

Now I wonder: What is the difference between these models? And now I'm not talking about the obvious differences found in the specs-chart and the aluminium body vs non-aluminium. I'm wondering about component quality, cooling systems keyboard-feel, panle quality and stuff like that

ROG is known for having high-durability components and all those goodies, but Zenbook Pro is also their highest line in business class laptops which also should have very durable components.

2) My current desktop features an old Radeon 6870 DirectCU TOP (no OC) - is the 960M a upgrade or downgrade in terms of performance? As long as I can play the current game my Radon manages with the 960M I'm happy. Any upgrade in performance is a plus.

Finally: Any suggestions for some other option from other brands are welcome, but 15-inch models ONLY.

Spoiler

Mobo: Asus Z370-A Prime

CPU: Intel i7 8700K

RAM: Kingston Fury 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Beast

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB

Case: Fractal Define R6 Tempered Glass, Black

SSD 1: Crucial P3 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen 3 NVMe SSD

SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB

SSD 3: Crucial MX500 500 GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM005 64MB 4TB 7200 rpm

PSU: Corsair RM750X v2

Display 1: AOC Agon AG271QG

Display 2: Dell U2711

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M AIO

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger Z w/ Cherry MX Brown

Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II

Soundcard: Creative AE-5 Soundblaster

Headphones: Sennheiser RS 165 Wireless

Microphone 1: Audio Technica AT2020+ USB

Microphone 2: Antlion Audiio ModMic Wireless

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

The differences between the 2 other than the g501 costing $1600 and the UX501 around $2000 is the g501 has more Vram (yes it can utilize it all) and the option for a 1080p IPS display (I just can't seem to find any places that have the 1080p screen. To answer your other question the HD6870 the gtx 960 would be an upgrade due to the Maxwell architecture and having much more Vram than the 6870. If you wanted a beefier GPU then I would recommend the MSI gs60 shost pro since it has a gtx 970m and comes in 1080 and 4k variants.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, brickster!

I keep forgetting where I've been posting stuff, and since I can't find any option for e-mail notifications on forum posts here on Linus Tech tips this reply comes a bit late.

Thank you for the reply. I have already setteld for the MSI GS60 Ghost pro 1080p version because of the same reasons that you also gave in your post.

It is funny that the UX costs so much more. I guess you are paying for the Zenbook-branding... :D And SHINEY-ness.

Spoiler

Mobo: Asus Z370-A Prime

CPU: Intel i7 8700K

RAM: Kingston Fury 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Beast

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB

Case: Fractal Define R6 Tempered Glass, Black

SSD 1: Crucial P3 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen 3 NVMe SSD

SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB

SSD 3: Crucial MX500 500 GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM005 64MB 4TB 7200 rpm

PSU: Corsair RM750X v2

Display 1: AOC Agon AG271QG

Display 2: Dell U2711

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M AIO

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger Z w/ Cherry MX Brown

Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II

Soundcard: Creative AE-5 Soundblaster

Headphones: Sennheiser RS 165 Wireless

Microphone 1: Audio Technica AT2020+ USB

Microphone 2: Antlion Audiio ModMic Wireless

Hello, brickster!

I keep forgetting where I've been posting stuff, and since I can't find any option for e-mail notifications on forum posts here on Linus Tech tips this reply comes a bit late.

Thank you for the reply. I have already setteld for the MSI GS60 Ghost pro 1080p version because of the same reasons that you also gave in your post.

It is funny that the UX costs so much more. I guess you are paying for the Zenbook-branding... :D And SHINEY-ness.

Glad to be of help