At what bit-rate should I record with my 970 STRIX?

Rayhaan Jiwani

Hello Forum,

I wanted to know at what bit-rate should I record using ShadowPlay where I'll get the maximum quality without stuttering. I was recording Goat Simulator at 1080p, 60FPS at 130Mbps but when I was editing it, the video in the preview screen was stuttering a lot so I don't know whether it's just because it's the preview but I think I should record at a lower bit-rate. BTW, the game ran at a smooth 60FPS at the highest settings.

Thanks! :)

CPU: i5 4690K @ Stock                GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX @ Stock      SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB (OS and Drivers)     Headset: Audio-Technica M20X

Case: Corsair Obsidian 250D        RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB LP             HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB                                         Mouse: Logitech m185

OS: Windows 8.1 OEM                 PSU: Corsair RM650                                Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N Mini ITX                         Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K65 RGB

What video editor were you using? Does it stutter when you view the raw footage? If it doesn't, then it's probably your editor.

CPU: i7-4790K --- HEATSINK: NZXT Kraken X61 --- MOBO: Asus Z97-A --- GPU: GTX 970 Strix --- RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG --- SSD: 512GB MX100 | 256GB BX200 HDD: 1TB WD Black --- PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 --- CASE: NZXT H440 --- DISPLAY3 x Dell U2414H --- KEYBOARD: Pok3r (Clears) --- MOUSE: Logitech G Pro --- OS: Windows 10

Hello Forum,

I wanted to know at what bit-rate should I record using ShadowPlay where I'll get the maximum quality without stuttering. I was recording Goat Simulator at 1080p, 60FPS at 130Mbps but when I was editing it, the video in the preview screen was stuttering a lot so I don't know whether it's just because it's the preview but I think I should record at a lower bit-rate. BTW, the game ran at a smooth 60FPS at the highest settings.

Thanks! :)

its might be that your PC cannot handle editing footage of that size

render the video out and see if it still stutters

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

30Mbps  is a good starting point for Youtube.  My channel is mostly 30Mbps records of WoW raids if you're interested in looking at the quality once uploaded.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AiVern1989/videos

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

130mbps is pretty intense, try 50

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

its might be that your PC cannot handle editing footage of that size

render the video out and see if it still stutters

This build is less than a week old, my CPU is a Core i5-4960k at stock and a GTX 970 STRIX at factory clock. And I'm saving the footage to my Caviar Black which is the same disk which my game is on so if that's the problem but I think it's not.

What video editor were you using? Does it stutter when you view the raw footage? If it doesn't, then it's probably your editor.

I'm using the Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum, BTW thanks for reminding me to notice the stutter in the raw footage but apparently I din't do that and deleted the two episodes since I even had some other audio problems.

CPU: i5 4690K @ Stock                GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX @ Stock      SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB (OS and Drivers)     Headset: Audio-Technica M20X

Case: Corsair Obsidian 250D        RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB LP             HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB                                         Mouse: Logitech m185

OS: Windows 8.1 OEM                 PSU: Corsair RM650                                Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N Mini ITX                         Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K65 RGB

Caviar Black which is the same disk which my game is on so if that's the problem but I think it's not.

that IS the problem, you need to record to a separate drive!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Ok then will a WD My Passport Ultra 1TB USB 3 work?

And so does that mean I can record at a higher bit-rate since 30 during local playback after rendering looks pixelated?