Gaming PC Build Help

ducati

Hey guys,

I have decided to build a new PC from scratch as mine is becoming antique at this point and has some trouble playing the new gen games.

The purpose will be mainly gaming, browsing etc. No video rendering, streaming or all that stuff.

I would like to be able to play all/most new gen games on max settings on 1080p with 60+ fps.

I also needs to be able to last a few years. Like if it still could play the new games on medium quality 60 fps in a year or two that would be great. But we never know what the future has in store, so take that with a grain of salt. I am not interested or do not plan on overclocking. Never done it and I don't think overclocking my CPU will translate to much or any difference in FPS in most games.

Here is what I specifically have in mind:

Intel Core i5-4590 Boxed

Gigabyte G1.Sniper B6

Club 3D Radeon R9 290 royalKing

Fractal Design Define R5 Zwart

Gelid Solutions Tranquillo Rev.2

Crucial Ballistix BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00CEU

Antec VPF Series 450W

I did not include an SSD because I already own a 250 Samsung 840 EVO SSD. Also got Windows 7 copy.

My initial GPU was a gtx 970 but I heard from various sources it is not worth the extra 70-100 for a marginal 5% performance increase. As well as the fact that it only uses 3.5 GB VRAM effectively, which is not a problem now but might be in the future. Although it is more efficient when it comes to power consumption and noise. 

Now I think it is a good system overall which caters to my needs, however I'd like some input from people more knowledgeable than I am. So if you have any suggestions, please do not hesitate to point them out!

Also, let me know if you do think this is a good build as it is.

I will do the assembly myself.

Hello, thank you for your input and time.

I see you made quite some changes to my initial build. I appreciate it. However, could you clarify it. Also, would like to know why you went for the i5 4440 instead of the newer 4460 which is practically the same price. You went for a different RAM, which is exactly the same as mine in performance, but a little bit more expensive and better looking. Which is not needed, because I do not have a windowed case. Your PSU has 70 more WATT and is a little bit more expensive. I do not think my system will need 520 if I am honest. 450 should suffice. 

I will look more into the GTX 970. However, I heard it from numerous sources. 

Thank you!

Hello, thank you for your input and time.

I see you made quite some changes to my initial build. I appreciate it. However, could you specify it. Also, would like to know why you went for the i5 4440 instead of the newer 4460 which is practically the same price. You went for a different RAM, which is exactly the same as mine in performance, but a little bit more expensive and better looking. Your PSU has 70 more WATT and is a little bit more expensive. I do not think my system will need 520 if I am honest.

I will look more into the GTX 970. However, I heard it from numerous sources. 

Thank you!

I will address each thing individually.

- The clock difference between the 4460 and the 4440 inst noticeable  , we are talking about 100 mhz . I usually pick the 4440 because being non haswell refresh works on all motherboards out of the box.

- The ram is just a personal thing , I have used ripjaws memory for 5 years and its very reliable.

- The PSU is the cheapest seasonic unit I could find , seasonic psus are extremely reliable and efficient.

I will address each thing individually.

- The clock difference between the 4460 and the 4440 inst noticeable  , we are talking about 100 mhz . I usually pick the 4440 because being non haswell refresh works on all motherboards out of the box.

- The ram is just a personal thing , I have used ripjaws memory for 5 years and its very reliable.

- The PSU is the cheapest seasonic unit I could find , seasonic psus are extremely reliable and efficient.

Thank you for explaining.

Even though the difference between the 4460 and 4440 is only 100 mhz. The fact that the 4460 is 1 euro (I know, don't ask) cheaper than the older 4440, makes it an easy choice. 100 mhz more for 1 euro less, why not   :lol: .

Even though you have some valid points, I do not see any noteworthy upgrade over mine when it comes to price/performance.  Except maybe the case and motherboard. Although my case is very expensive, it provides very good cooling and noise reduction. And it looks just very good. But the case is kind of a personal thing.

Thank you for explaining.

Even though the difference between the 4460 and 4440 is only 100 mhz. The fact that the 4460 is 1 euro (I know, don't ask) cheaper than the older 4440, makes it an easy choice. 100 mhz more for 1 euro less, why not   :lol: .

Even though you have some valid points, I do not see any noteworthy upgrade over mine when it comes to price/performance.  Except maybe the case and motherboard. Although my case is very expensive, it provides very good cooling and noise reduction. And it looks just very good. But the case is kind of a personal thing.

My build will get you better performance in games full stop.

You can keep it the same and just swap the 4440 with the 4460.

My build will get you better performance in games full stop.

You can keep it the same and just swap the 4440 with the 4460.

Yes, you are right. But that is due to the gtx 970, which will definitely perform better than the r9 290. But I am not sure if it is better or worth it price/performance wise. I will look into the GTX 970 for sure since it was in my initial build. Thank you!

One last thing, do you have by chance a link or any proof that it does actually perform 10/15% better than the 290? I'd be interested.

One last thing, do you have by chance a link or any proof that it does actually perform 10/15% better than the 290? I'd be interested.

You have a video here comparing the both in real time.

Its 10% at the most really at stock but the thing is are you interest in overcloking your gpu?

If so you can get gtx 980 stock like performance out of an 970.

Its 10% at the most really at stock but the thing is are you interest in overcloking your gpu?

If so you can get gtx 980 stock like performance out of an 970.

Well, seeing overclocing your GPU is as easy as pressing a button or two, why not.

Well, seeing overclocing your GPU is as easy as pressing a button or two, why not.

I recommend the 970 , the oc headroom is much better than the 290 .

MUCH better.

Relevant image.

8y6JB8O.png

So you can see that a overclocked 970 keeps up with a stock 980 which is 200 dollars more expensive.

The only problem is the memory issue which inst a problem at 1080p and even at 1440p and its only a problem really at 4k with some games.

I recommend the 970 , the oc headroom is much better than the 290 .

MUCH better.

Relevant image.

8y6JB8O.png

So you can see that a overclocked 970 keeps up with a stock 980 which is 200 dollars more expensive.

The only problem is the memory issue which inst a problem at 1080p and even at 1440p and its only a problem really at 4k with some games.

Yes, thank you. I will have to seriously reconsider my GPU.