Designing my mancave

Tadgh

I need your help on a MAGICAL adventure :)). By winter of this year I'm gonna be living in a new house, it's in the country, and it's a shell ATM - so we have both space and flexibility. I'm dedicating an area of 10 meters long and 8 across to a big ass mancave.

Now that's cool and all, but let's face it, people have mancaves. Normal mancaves are boring

I need a big ass awesome community to come up with some ideas on how to make the ballaest mancave possible :)). Any ideas I like I will do my best to actually use, I will post pictures, and I will put the username of the idea's first poster somewhere in the room.

Budget is kind of a thing, so nothing huge. Building is made of stone, room will be plaster and wood, and roof will be caved up for acoustic purposes.

Let's do something cool, design advice is appreciated too!

P.S. One PC, three screens on triple monitor stand: 1080p 60Hz - Dream monitor (???) - 1080p 60Hz. TV on top of that slanted down on arm, sofa behind PC.           Bookshelf speakers and sub.
        Two Servers, one 4U, one mATX

4-6m long desk, 0.5m deep, thick, will be making from worktop, probably pine.

Small Fridge + Kettle

^^^^^^^^^ Decided on so far

Sleepy: |  R7 1700@ 3.7GHz (NHD-15) | MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic | GIGABYTE Windforce GTX 1080 | 16GB of RAM | 8TBs of HDD | 128GB SSD| S340 Tempered Glass | XFX 550w Bronze 80+ PSU | 40" 4K panel, and 3 1080p bois

What about a massive TV or projector for movies and games...

I'm thinking the TV about the three monitors should be like 40"?

Projector would be cool, do you have any experiences with them? (Cost, image quality, bulb replacement?)

Sleepy: |  R7 1700@ 3.7GHz (NHD-15) | MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic | GIGABYTE Windforce GTX 1080 | 16GB of RAM | 8TBs of HDD | 128GB SSD| S340 Tempered Glass | XFX 550w Bronze 80+ PSU | 40" 4K panel, and 3 1080p bois

FOUR U server?  Dafaq are you hosting?  I work at a game publisher where we host MMOs and we have nothing above 2U for single servers, and phasing out the 2Us completely.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

FOUR U server?  Dafaq are you hosting?  I work at a game publisher where we host MMOs and we have nothing above 2U for single servers, and phasing out the 2Us completely.

Oh sorry 6U. ;) It's hella old though, Dell Poweredge 4600, using as NAS.

Oh sorry 6U. ;) It's hella old though, Dell Poweredge 4600, using as NAS.

That noise must be unbearable... >.<

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

That noise must be unbearable... >.<

It is, about 16 tiny fans in it - along with 10 10000RPM drives turning it on creates a whirlwind and earthquake. :/ Blows off anything bluetacked onto any of the walls in the study. Hence the upcoming mATX NAS ;p

I'm thinking the TV about the three monitors should be like 40"?

Projector would be cool, do you have any experiences with them? (Cost, image quality, bulb replacement?)

Well I have built a projector (quite a bit of work and I wouldn't recommend it) and I also own just a normal consumer projector. The cost of a decent 1080p projector these days has dropped a lot, a good one might set you back $700, but it really is worth the money especially if you watch a lot of TV shows, movies, or even just YouTube. In terms of image quality, a HD projector with a nice bright lamp can really have good colors and a sharp image. Lamp replacement probably won't happen too often as most projectors will get anywhere between 3500-6000 hours out of them before they need replacing. Even when it comes time to replace it a new lamp would only cost around $150. If I was to recommend a really decent 1080p projector right now, I would have say the BenQ HT1075, it is really good value for money.

Well I have built a projector (quite a bit of work and I wouldn't recommend it) and I also own just a normal consumer projector. The cost of a decent 1080p projector these days has dropped a lot, a good one might set you back $700, but it really is worth the money especially if you watch a lot of TV shows, movies, or even just YouTube. In terms of image quality, a HD projector with a nice bright lamp can really have good colors and a sharp image. Lamp replacement probably won't happen too often as most projectors will get anywhere between 3500-6000 hours out of them before they need replacing. Even when it comes time to replace it a new lamp would only cost around $150. If I was to recommend a really decent 1080p projector right now, I would have say the BenQ HT1075, it is really good value for money.

I was actually pretty surprised by that answer. All of a sudden I can't help but feel like that's a viable alternative. I'm spending a lot of money on a sound system though, one that will be pointing to me from behind my monitor. Accordingly it might be projecting onto a slanted ceiling (or I could place some kind of wind down sheet to project onto). Why would you go for a projector above a TV? I'm looking at the HT1075 rn, interesting option.

I was actually pretty surprised by that answer. All of a sudden I can't help but feel like that's a viable alternative. I'm spending a lot of money on a sound system though, one that will be pointing to me from behind my monitor. Accordingly it might be projecting onto a slanted ceiling (or I could place some kind of wind down sheet to project onto). Why would you go for a projector above a TV? I'm looking at the HT1075 rn, interesting option.

You could project it onto a slanted wall, it really all depends on the viewing angle and whether it will be a comfortable to watch. You can always put together a projection screen, you don't need to spend $200 for one, there are plenty tutorials on how to make one for cheap. In terms of a projector vs a TV, well a projector can produce an image 100 inches or larger which a TV just can't compete with, and even if you were to find a TV around that size it would cost heaps. When it comes to color and picture quality, a TV would probably beat a projector but nothing beats the sheer immersion you get from a projector. Also a projector is great when friends come over, because its just great for movies or sports games.

You could project it onto a slanted wall, it really all depends on the viewing angle and whether it will be a comfortable to watch. You can always put together a projection screen, you don't need to spend $200 for one, there are plenty tutorials on how to make one for cheap. In terms of a projector vs a TV, well a projector can produce an image 100 inches or larger which a TV just can't compete with, and even if you were to find a TV around that size it would cost heaps. When it comes to color and picture quality, a TV would probably beat a projector but nothing beats the sheer immersion you get from a projector. Also a projector is great when friends come over, because its just great for movies or sports games.

Mate, you've just opened my eyes to something I had actually never looked at before. I'm not totally sure about this, but it's looking like a possibility now. Thanks for this :). The projector seems pretty cool for relaxed viewing, and the BenQ HT1075 looks pretty small, so I could probably just move it about for when people come over/I'm sick and in bed. I could work on some in home streaming devices like a better doko for my PC, and then I could bring the projector about to have continuous access for relaxed gaming on the sofa/console emulation.. Wooow man my brain is buzzing with the possibilities.. 

Mate, you've just opened my eyes to something I had actually never looked at before. I'm not totally sure about this, but it's looking like a possibility now. Thanks for this :). The projector seems pretty cool for relaxed viewing, and the BenQ HT1075 looks pretty small, so I could probably just move it about for when people come over/I'm sick and in bed. I could work on some in home streaming devices like a better doko for my PC, and then I could bring the projector about to have continuous access for relaxed gaming on the sofa/console emulation.. Wooow man my brain is buzzing with the possibilities.. 

No problem, projectors are a lot of fun and I use my a lot. Before I got a projector I never really even watch movies, but once I got the big screen I found myself watching movies all the time. Although projectors aren't very good for competitive gaming, they are great for games with really good campaigns, I pretty much played the whole Skyrim campaign on a projector and it was amazing!

Put a urinal in it! Also if you are willing to put in some labor, a MAME cabinet would be dope as fuck. If you don't know, MAME is an arcade machine emulator. You can get a cheap computer (something like Raspberry Pi 2) and monitor and build your own arcade cabinet out of wood with a USB arcade joystick for a controller. Not too expensive (other than the monitor), and super cool, but labor intensive. Also I would look on Craigslist for a poker table. If you have the money, a pool table would be cool. Also cool art work is a must. I would find a cool print shop and buy some nice prints and get them framed. They'll run you $20-$30 each (or a lot more if you get test prints and what not), along with the price of the frame. They are cool, unique, and much cooler than just posters, in my opinion. I'm a really big fan of the Aesthetic Apparatus (http://aestheticapparatus.com/store/?orderby=price).

No problem, projectors are a lot of fun and I use my a lot. Before I got a projector I never really even watch movies, but once I got the big screen I found myself watching movies all the time. Although projectors aren't very good for competitive gaming, they are great for games with really good campaigns, I pretty much played the whole Skyrim campaign on a projector and it was amazing!

They look it, I know this might be jumping into a big commitment, but I'm thinking about a 120" screen for the mancave? I've been searching about online and look are immersive af :) Gods I'm all excited now!

Put a urinal in it! Also if you are willing to put in some labor, a MAME cabinet would be dope as fuck. If you don't know, MAME is an arcade machine emulator. You can get a cheap computer (something like Raspberry Pi 2) and monitor and build your own arcade cabinet out of wood with a USB arcade joystick for a controller. Not too expensive (other than the monitor), and super cool, but labor intensive. Also I would look on Craigslist for a poker table. If you have the money, a pool table would be cool. Also cool art work is a must. I would find a cool print shop and buy some nice prints and get them framed. They'll run you $20-$30 each (or a lot more if you get test prints and what not), along with the price of the frame. They are cool, unique, and much cooler than just posters, in my opinion. I'm a really big fan of the Aesthetic Apparatus (http://aestheticapparatus.com/store/?orderby=price).

Urinal, nooo, I'll have a bathroom near enough and I'd like to keep it clean! The MAME cabinet does sound hella cool though, and I do do a lot of emulation as is, so I'm gonna price that one up! I'm already doing a lot of pine woodwork so building another cabinet would be no problem (plus I really enjoy woodwork). Oooohhh a poker table sounds cool, I used to play a lot of poker and have a 500 chip set sitting around somewhere! Although, any table will do for poker I find, and pool is also something I'd like to look into. Cool artwork is definitely a must and I have some pieces selected already - unfortunately that site probably isn't going to work out for me bc Ireland and postage costs, I'll take a look at it though! Thanks for your answer :) Definitely getting the ideas flowing

what about a driving sim? you know, with triple monitor and a driving wheel.

what about a driving sim? you know, with triple monitor and a driving wheel.

This. I'm super into driving sims, but that would be seriously expensive and once I got into that I'd want force feedback on the seat and stuff. I mean, in the far future yes - but in the meantime I gotta keep it somewhat cheap. For now my driving experience will likely be projector and remote I'm afraid!

This. I'm super into driving sims, but that would be seriously expensive and once I got into that I'd want force feedback on the seat and stuff. I mean, in the far future yes - but in the meantime I gotta keep it somewhat cheap. For now my driving experience will likely be projector and remote I'm afraid!

just wanna ask? how much do you wanna spent? 10X8 room is pretty big.

just wanna ask? how much do you wanna spent? 10X8 room is pretty big.

Yeah, it's a big old farmhouse being renovated, and pretty much the topfloor is mancave, minus a bedroom and small ensuite. Open plan ofc. 

Well it's kinda up for debate rn because it is a few months in the future so far - 800 on sound system - 800ish on projector and screens - 500ish on furniture (reusing old sofa, building own desk) 

So there's maybe a few hundred more if I'm lucky. Idk though, parents treating it as an investment and mortgaging the house to renovate it, so I'm kinda subject to their rules, and around 1K of this is coming out of my pocket for working over the summer. There's kinda no answer except - not too expensive, but there is some wriggle room for good ideas (like Projector instead of TV and Arcade system and etc)

Yeah, it's a big old farmhouse being renovated, and pretty much the topfloor is mancave, minus a bedroom and small ensuite. Open plan ofc.

Well it's kinda up for debate rn because it is a few months in the future so far - 800 on sound system - 800ish on projector and screens - 500ish on furniture (reusing old sofa, building own desk)

So there's maybe a few hundred more if I'm lucky. Idk though, parents treating it as an investment and mortgaging the house to renovate it, so I'm kinda subject to their rules, and around 1K of this is coming out of my pocket for working over the summer. There's kinda no answer except - not too expensive, but there is some wriggle room for good ideas (like Projector instead of TV and Arcade system and etc)

i see, why spend 800 on sound system? do you want Audiophile grade speaker?

i see, why spend 800 on sound system? do you want Audiophile grade speaker?

I'm really finicky with sound, but this setup includes bookshelf speakers, a sub, amp for speakers, a set of headphones, amp and dac for headphones, mic, mixer, and mic stand.

To be honest I'm pretty pleased I could fit all that in high quality equipment in for 800

I'm really finicky with sound, but this setup includes bookshelf speakers, a sub, amp for speakers, a set of headphones, amp and dac for headphones, mic, mixer, and mic stand.

To be honest I'm pretty pleased I could fit all that in high quality equipment in for 800

how about the room interior? like the wall? is it repainted? sorry asking a lot question, i love this kind of thing ^_^

how about the room interior? like the wall? is it repainted? sorry asking a lot question, i love this kind of thing ^_^

No no not at all, I'm glad you like it :).

Well it's a 1600s building so we're gonna plaster over it. Being Irish it's a solid stone wall so insulation is pretty well handled already. I'm thinking of draping some curtains over the wall behind the speakers for acoustic concerns though. It might only be plaster, but at the same time it's flat :////

I have the aesthetical taste of a broken chair, so I can't really help you with what may look cool, however things that in my opinion are cool regardless are:

-3d printers

-montitor-holding cockpits like the one Linus showcased

-4k monitors

-surround speaker setups

-pcs encased in glass desks, preferably watercooled

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

No no not at all, I'm glad you like it :).

Well it's a 1600s building so we're gonna plaster over it. Being Irish it's a solid stone wall so insulation is pretty well handled already. I'm thinking of draping some curtains over the wall behind the speakers for acoustic concerns though. It might only be plaster, but at the same time it's flat :////

AFAIK plaster make the room noise isolated, am i right? ( heard somewhere but forgot :wacko: )