COMMAND & CONQUER ULTIMATE COLLECTION - WINDOWS 8.1

I was looking to purchase the Command & Conquer Ultimate Collection from EA's Origin website (since that appears the only place I can find the original games) however after reading some different reviews I've seen that some people have seemingly reported issues with playing the original C&C games, and also C&C 2, as well as Red Alert & Red Alert II on PCs running Windows 8.1

So, what I'm asking is, is this issue real, and widespread of the odd mishap on machines with user errors?

And if it is widespread short of running the games on a Virtual Machine, is there some patch or other means I could use to get the games running on my PC?

Lenovo Y50-70: CPU: Intel Core i7-4720HQ (2.60 GHz) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M (4GB) | RAM: PC3-12800 DDR3L (16GB) | Storage: 512GB SSD | Display: 15.6" FHD IPS | OS: Windows 8.1 (64 bit)

snip

most of those problems are easily solvable by digging around using google.

and the old CnC games haven't had their licenses renewed(I think) so you can easily download them without buying them and you're copy won't be considered piracy.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

most of those problems are easily solvable by digging around using google.

and the old CnC games haven't had their licenses renewed(I think) so you can easily download them without buying them and you're copy won't be considered piracy.

Did some Google searches, not really in-depth though to be honest, however haven't seen any fixes as of yet other then running the games on a virtual machine or Windows XP or 7 (SP1) all of which just seem like a hassel to me, was wondering whether something like running in compatibility mode would work :/

Hmm, the downloading thing seems interesting for me to test the games on the system, although probably the only copies I'd be able to find would be the original and unlikely optimised for new systems

Lenovo Y50-70: CPU: Intel Core i7-4720HQ (2.60 GHz) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M (4GB) | RAM: PC3-12800 DDR3L (16GB) | Storage: 512GB SSD | Display: 15.6" FHD IPS | OS: Windows 8.1 (64 bit)

I bought that package, and the games do work albeit limited to 1680x1050 on my 1920x1200 screen. If I try it on my 2560x1440 screen it just crashes. Weird.

I was looking to purchase the Command & Conquer Ultimate Collection from EA's Origin website (since that appears the only place I can find the original games) however after reading some different reviews I've seen that some people have seemingly reported issues with playing the original C&C games, and also C&C 2, as well as Red Alert & Red Alert II on PCs running Windows 8.1

So, what I'm asking is, is this issue real, and widespread of the odd mishap on machines with user errors?

And if it is widespread short of running the games on a Virtual Machine, is there some patch or other means I could use to get the games running on my PC?

This is why I use Window 7. :) I love C&C. I bought that collection twice to show my love for C&C. A digital and disk version muahahahaha.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.