Best air filter?

1Scotty1
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

Happy to - front intakes are 3x Noiseblocker eLoops B12-3 running at full speed, exhaust is the stock case NZXT fan, undervolted to 7V and on top are two fans from the Kraken X61, also spinning @900RPM at idle... this should be positive pressure, but still dust gets inside :( that is why I am looking for a fine filter

2x 140mm's + 120mm > 3x 120mm's. 

It seems like you have negative airflow and not positive. I'd suggest getting a single magnetic dust filter for the rear and flipping that fan to intake.

Greetings,

I wanted to ask, if anyone can suggest the best filter for my H440 front intake (size 3x120mm). The stock one is good, but still dust accumulates in the case, can be seen mostly on SSD, GPUs...

So any fine dust filter that would provide better filtering without hindering airflow would be good.

I have put some filtering stuff I found at work behind the front intake mesh and in the bottom (can be seen in pic if you look closely), but that stuff is thick (almost 2cm) and pretty dense :(

ZGisKLl.jpg

Any suggestions are welcome :)

Thanks

Greetings,

I wanted to ask, if anyone can suggest the best filter for my H440 front intake (size 3x120mm). The stock one is good, but still dust accumulates in the case, can be seen mostly on SSD, GPUs...

So any fine dust filter that would provide better filtering without hindering airflow would be good.

I have put some filtering stuff I found at work behind the front intake mesh and in the bottom (can be seen in pic if you look closely), but that stuff is thick (almost 2cm) and pretty dense :(

-PIC-

Any suggestions are welcome :)

Thanks

Since it's such a small slot area something like 20x20 window screen works well with some magnetic strips being a very fine bug screen, another is using a filter foam like you are using or thinner fabric.

Another option is get filter for the fans themselves to stop the air from coming in at that point of the system

The stock filter should be fine. If dust is accumulating, it might have something to do with badly configured fans. 

It would help to explain the current airflow setup.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The stock filter should be fine. If dust is accumulating, it might have something to do with badly configured fans. 

It would help to explain the current airflow setup.

Happy to - front intakes are 3x Noiseblocker eLoops B12-3 running at full speed, exhaust is the stock case NZXT fan, undervolted to 7V and on top are two fans from the Kraken X61, also spinning @900RPM at idle... this should be positive pressure, but still dust gets inside :( that is why I am looking for a fine filter

It seems like you have negative airflow and not positive. I'd suggest getting a single magnetic dust filter for the rear and flipping that fan to intake.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I know the equation is pointing to negative, but doesn't the under-volting help? I am kinda mixed up about this

I know the equation is pointing to negative, but doesn't the under-volting help? I am kinda mixed up about this

The front dust filters restrict much of the air when the rear and top have much less restriction. 

The front dust filters restrict much of the air when the rear and top have much less restriction. 

Understandable... I should have a single 140 magnetic fan lying around, I think it is a Silverstone, should do the trick, right? When I flip the rear to intake :)

Understandable... I should have a single 140 magnetic fan lying around, I think it is a Silverstone, should do the trick, right? When I flip the rear to intake :)

That seems fine. 

That seems fine. 

You are a money saver, thanks :D

i did have problem with dust building up inside since i live in a very dusty area, i use only the stock fans atm, what i did was i used electrial tape to cover some of the open spots, like unused Pcie covers, av some of the hole behind the front panel and set down the speed even more for the exaust fan. i dont notice as much now as before but i still notice some

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC

Not so sure about the PCIe covers and all, but covering up the front-side intakes of my Ethnoo Pro with electrical tape really did help a lot. If you don't mind the way it looks, I could highly recommend it.

Sleepy: |  R7 1700@ 3.7GHz (NHD-15) | MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic | GIGABYTE Windforce GTX 1080 | 16GB of RAM | 8TBs of HDD | 128GB SSD| S340 Tempered Glass | XFX 550w Bronze 80+ PSU | 40" 4K panel, and 3 1080p bois

Not so sure about the PCIe covers and all, but covering up the front-side intakes of my Ethnoo Pro with electrical tape really did help a lot. If you don't mind the way it looks, I could highly recommend it.

Front-side intake? Do you mean the place where the white mesh is on my case? I am kinda lost here...

Front-side intake? Do you mean the place where the white mesh is on my case? I am kinda lost here...

Sorry my bad, yeah those, see my case has a mesh on the front panel but it's filtered :)

Sleepy: |  R7 1700@ 3.7GHz (NHD-15) | MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic | GIGABYTE Windforce GTX 1080 | 16GB of RAM | 8TBs of HDD | 128GB SSD| S340 Tempered Glass | XFX 550w Bronze 80+ PSU | 40" 4K panel, and 3 1080p bois

Sorry my bad, yeah those, see my case has a mesh on the front panel but it's filtered :)

Yeah, but for the H440 that is the only place to get air inside from the front, so taping it up is a big no-no... there is a hole from the bottom-front also, but I have that filtered too

Yeah, but for the H440 that is the only place to get air inside from the front, so taping it up is a big no-no... there is a hole from the bottom-front also, but I have that filtered too

Try tights for the filtering, if a girlfriend/mother has some low denver tights (preferably without sparkles ;) ) you can cut those up and cover the intake from the inside :)

this is where i taped it

post-186894-0-84903300-1430141267_thumb.

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC