Guys, I'm panicking here, pls help!

orate.cl

What's killing me BIG TIME is that I have a "deadline" which is the time I've got to return all the things that I bought with no questions asked by the stores, thats why I've been breaking my head to solve the problems that I found so far so I can rest assured I won't regret returning everything and I've been failing miserably.

I spent like 1200 bucks in updating my PC which consist of the following components:

- ACER predator 1440p 144hz freesync monitor

- 1000W corsair gold PSU

- 2x r9 290 ASUS 4g OC

- corsair 750d case.

What I already had was:

core i7 4770k

gigabyte z97x - gaming 5

16GB hyper-x ram 2400mhz

500GB samsung EVO SSD (I install games in this baby)

All this "investment" was to play GTA 5 and the witcher 3 flawlessly silky smooth and so far to play GTA 5 I gotta turn off one card and then and only then runs really decently almost smooth all the time (with freesync on seems really smooth).

Never CFX before never knew of "microstutter" before, but what I'm getting when playing GTA5 it's not micro it's a HUGE BIG SUTTER OF LIKE 1 second which happens at random specially when driving FAST, running the game with one GPU there's no problems at all. Gotta add also that the game runs in between 70 - 90 fps everything as low as very high (nothing on ultra) in 1440p.

So far tested:

- Borderlands 2 maxed out at 1440p NO VSYNC, runs super smooth no stutter.

- AC black flag maxed out at 1440p NO VSYNC,, runs super smooth no stutter. 

From time to time I wonder why the hell I just didn't pick up a GTX 980 and I would be laughing right now, but since (in theory) 2x r9 290 OC should be superior to a single GTX 980 and I payed like 460 euros for both of them (GTX 980 it's as low as 630) I though I was making a great deal and not inmersing myself in this nightmare.

Some notes to take into consideration.

- Overall CFX seems to increase the FPS like it should.

- I'm using latest BETA 15.4.

- RAM running at 2133mhz.

- cards get as HOT as 80 ºC MAX

- CPU won't seem to reach 100% use.

- Both cards at 8x 8x 3.0.

- Did a fresh windows 7 64 reinstall yesterday.

- The stutter won't seem to be "graphics options related" it's really random, but something it's not, like when you crash a car you get stutter,

Now, what I need from you guys is:

- To tell me something like "Calm down man it's gonna for sure get better, just gotta have some patience, rest assured you didn't waste your money wait for the drivers."

"this happened before, wait for the drivers"

OR

- "dude return all that crap and get out of there, ASAP, just get ONE POWERFUL card and FORGET ABOUT CFX"

- "dude NVIDIA or nothing"

- "JAJAJA ur screwed"

I don't know what to say I just feel this heavy preasure to make a decission and I just wanna "end" this matter and continue.

Thank you guys in advance.

It's probably drivers. AMD has only released a beta driver for GTA 5 so far, so if you haven't already, grab it. Otherwise just wait for the full release of their driver.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Take a deep breath. If the stuttering is all your getting then perhaps try reinstalling the latest beta drivers. 15.4 pretty sure. If it was anything super serious then you'd be seeing far worse problems, in a much further arrangement of games. Secondly, don't sweat it. As an educated guess from me, it's nothing that bad, just software things.

-EDIT- Try running some more games in CFX, if you've not already and see if they work about as well as they should with dual cards. I.E. running far more frames than with one card. Unless, those Borderlands and AC runs were with CFX on. If that's the case, then really, don't worry bout nuthin. Just gonna get better with time and more stable releases of drivers.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Take a deep breath. If the stuttering is all your getting then perhaps try reinstalling the latest beta drivers. 15.4 pretty sure. If it was anything super serious then you'd be seeing far worse problems, in a much further arrangement of games. Secondly, don't sweat it. As an educated guess from me, it's nothing that bad, just software things.

Have you heard of similar problems in the past that have gotten solved eventually by drivers? I just don't want to regret this heavy investment....

Hmmm... how bout a little of both. First off calm down crossfire optimization will come very shortly.  But on the other hand why did you buy r9 290x's with new cards so close on the horizon. I'm sure they were a good deal but you strike me as someone more concerned about the performance than value.

I'd return it all if its simple and wait for 980TI or 390x if amd is your thing.  

And i had 5970 triplefire so i've had to deal with all the crossfire stuff before.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Hmmm... how bout a little of both. First off calm down crossfire optimization will come very shortly.  But on the other hand why did you buy r9 290x's with new cards so close on the horizon. I'm sure they were a good deal but you strike me as someone more concerned about the performance than value.

I'd return it all if its simple and wait for 980TI.  

And i had 5970 triplefire so i've had to deal with all the crossfire stuff before.

Cards would be really simple, monitor really complicated and since it's a freesync monitor even if I return the cards I cannot switch to nvidia so whats the point.

Everyone I look seems like a dead end :(

Cards would be really simple, monitor really complicated and since it's a freesync monitor even if I return the cards I cannot switch to nvidia so whats the point.

Everyone I look seems like a dead end :(

Its still a good monitor without freesync. I'm not buying gsync anyways right now. Nvidia needs to get off the proprietary nonsense bandwagon and support all monitors with adaptive refresh rate. Im banking that they will cave.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Have you heard of similar problems in the past that have gotten solved eventually by drivers? I just don't want to regret this heavy investment....

Ohhh yea. Like i said, when i was running the game on the stable driver version i was getting butter smooth fps, then suddenly for no real reason my game would get about, 1 frame every 2 seconds or so. But for me updating to 15.4 fixed that. In your case, it might be something as simple as poor cfx optimization on their end. And yes, most definitely on a game this big AMD and Rockstar are going to work pretty damn hard to make sure everyone can play it well within a very short time frame. So, expect it to get better pretty soon here.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Ohhh yea. Like i said, when i was running the game on the stable driver version i was getting butter smooth fps, then suddenly for no real reason my game would get about, 1 frame every 2 seconds or so. But for me updating to 15.4 fixed that. In your case, it might be something as simple as poor cfx optimization on their end. And yes, most definitely on a game this big AMD and Rockstar are going to work pretty damn hard to make sure everyone can play it well within a very short time frame. So, expect it to get better pretty soon here.

what case are you using?

what case are you using?

Smart answer:

Case? if you're talking about the "In your case" line, i was referring to the OP having dual 290s and massive frame drops and stuttering, but only in GTA 5 and using the latest 15.4 drivers.

Dumb answer:

If you literally meant what case im using, its a custom modded ostrog.

Smart answer:

Case? if you're talking about the "In your case" line, i was referring to the OP having dual 290s and massive frame drops and stuttering, but only in GTA 5 and using the latest 15.4 drivers.

Dumb answer:

If you literally meant what case im using, its a custom modded ostrog.

No i meant your computer case. Thanks!

No i meant your computer case. Thanks!

Lol ok xD keep im mind its a super budget thing, i plan on upgrading as soon as i can float enough money into my tech budget.

Lol ok xD keep im mind its a super budget thing, i plan on upgrading as soon as i can float enough money into my tech budget.

No judging from me. I like that case. I like to see cases outside the norm. 

honestly, gta v isn't exactly known for its awesome dual card setup performance. in fact, sli/cfx complaints are rather common. so take a deep breath, and calm down. honestly this is the downside to multi-gpu setups. there are games that come out and have horrible performance in multi-card setups. those issues usually get ironed out through drivers/patches. so breath my friend. now on to my advice:

i am going to assume that the monitor may not be possible to return just yet. what you can do then is return the graphics cards and wait for the 390/390X. be patient with those cards because appearently the HBM memory is producing low yields so the availability won't be great at first. however, the 290s aren't anything to sneeze at either so keeping the cards isn't a terrible idea either. just remember that issues like this will arise from time to time.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

Shoulda got a 980.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

seams its only a glitch with the 290 crossfire beta driver as all the other cards seem to work in crossfire lol

i imagine they will make a better driver sooner or later

This is going to sound crazy, but try installing the 13.12 drivers if you have the time. It was the only stable driver for the 290x i had. That card may have just been a big hot mess though.

FX-8350@5ghz - 16GB-XMS@1866 - GIGABYTE GTX 980 G1 GAMING - 990FXA-UD7 - H100i - RM850 - 760T

Hey guys a question, 2x 290 should be more powerful that a single 980?

Just wait for the drivers bro. GTAV doesn't run as well as it should on my rig and I have 2 980's. But it doesn't stutter like what you described but honestly the drivers and a game update SHOULD fix it. Witcher 3 will most likely run beautifully so I wouldn't worry about that to be honest. If the CPU usage was always 100% I'd be worried, it shouldn't be maxed out by any current game so you're good. In GTA, make sure you have all the settings in "Advanced Graphics" disabled.

I won't tell you to take the cards back, but I also won't tell you to keep them either, because in my own experience with AMD cards, they are nothing but trouble and disappointment.

Just wait for the drivers bro. GTAV doesn't run as well as it should on my rig and I have 2 980's. But it doesn't stutter like what you described but honestly the drivers and a game update SHOULD fix it. Witcher 3 will most likely run beautifully so I wouldn't worry about that to be honest. If the CPU usage was always 100% I'd be worried, it shouldn't be maxed out by any current game so you're good. In GTA, make sure you have all the settings in "Advanced Graphics" disabled.

I won't tell you to take the cards back, but I also won't tell you to keep them either, because in my own experience with AMD cards, they are nothing but trouble and disappointment.

I would love to switch but the GTX980 it's 600 for one card and the 2x 290 were 490, kinda unconvinced in spending more!

I will think about it, just wanting to hear more opinions!

I would love to switch but the GTX980 it's 600 for one card and the 2x 290 were 490, kinda unconvinced in spending more!

I will think about it, just wanting to hear more opinions!

Yeah to be honest since you have the 290's just keep em, they aren't terrible but just see how you go. Good luck!