3D Workstation/Gaming Rig

Daniellis

The two 980's will be replaced by two 980Ti's when or if Nvidia releases one. This will be used for be used for 3D rendering and gaming. Any advice and/or thoughts are appreciated.

CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K

CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard- Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1

Memory- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 Gb (4x4) DDR4-2666

Storage- Samsung 850 Pro 256 Gb SSD (OS), Western Digital Black Series 4 Tb 7200 HDD (Files)

Video Card- (2x SLI) EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked AXC 2.0

Case- Fractal Design Define R5

Power Supply- Corsair Ax860i

Wireless Adapter- Asus PCE-AC68

Case Fans- (5x) Noctua NF-A14 FLX

Operating System- Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Edit: The video cards wont be in SLI

See my signature.. that's my suggestion lol. Well except that new titans don't have double precision compute anymore :(

But seriously...  you have evga video cards... evga is the best. #1 customer support hands down. They turn almost every suggestion/problem in a forum post into a bios update.  Go with a EVGA x99 board. DItch the air cooler and get a water cooler. You already have 2 wd black drives heating up the build, you dont want to also dump all that heat into your case from the cpu. Not to mention your video cards are axial cooled so you CPU will in turn heat up your video cards. I would also go with a case that doesn't have drive cages in the way on air flow like the Define S, Air 540 etc.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

i would suggest getting 2x8 instead of 4x4 for the ram 

The two 980's will be replaced by two 980Ti's when or if Nvidia releases one. This will be used for be used for 3D rendering and gaming. Any advice and/or thoughts are appreciated.

CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K

CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard- Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1

Memory- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 Gb (4x4) DDR4-2666

Storage- Samsung 850 Pro 256 Gb SSD (OS), Western Digital Black Series 4 Tb 7200 HDD (Files)

Video Card- (2x SLI) EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked AXC 2.0

Case- Fractal Design Define R5

Power Supply- Corsair Ax860i

Wireless Adapter- Asus PCE-AC68

Case Fans- (5x) Noctua NF-A14 FLX

Operating System- Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Overkill motherboard just get the x99 Deluxe 

i would suggest getting 2x8 instead of 4x4 for the ram 

Not with x99, quad channel is what you need

my input -

SSD- imo i would replace the 256GB 850 with a 500GB EVO

doesnt cost all that much more (like $60) and youre getting 500GB over 250, obviously :)

and ermmm, yeh thats all i got :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

For 3D Moddeling, SLI won't be happening 

Because he had a hard drive.

Not with x99, quad channel is what you need

dual channel vs single channel has a tangible benefit but going up to quad channel isnt that noticeable 

dual channel vs single channel has a tangible benefit but going up to quad channel isnt that noticeable 

Trust me, you need quad channel for x99

Trust me, you need quad channel for x99

Well since you actually seem to own x99, i'd take your word over someone else who may or may not enough have owned a qual channel platform. 

I always laugh at advice... no specs... no build log.. a grain of salt.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Well since you actually seem to own x99, i'd take your word over someone else who may or may not enough have owned a qual channel platform. 

I always laugh at advice... no specs... no build log.. a grain of salt.

Yeah I am waiting to do a built log because I am going to get a new case, cooler, and monitor soon so I might as well make it right the first time! Also, I put this system together at 1AM with terrible lighting :P

Yeah I am waiting to do a built log because I am going to get a new case, cooler, and monitor soon so I might as well make it right the first time! Also, I put this system together at 1AM with terrible lighting :P

I feel ya. I wish i had waited to do a build log AFTER i bought my dlsr. Looking back at the pictures hurts my eyes. Took much better pictures of my media center build but no one seemed to care about that build log. Should have gone with a boring case that's been use a million times.