[Review] Fiio E10

Gorgatron

I was looking into getting the Fiio E17 but I don't think I need anything portable ATM. I use my Sansa Clip Zip with Rockbox. MY headphones of choice are my portapro's or my ATH-CKM55.

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

Thanks for this. I was back and forth between this and the E17 for awhile but I finally went for this one.

I started looking into the E10 when this thread went up.  Then I saw something about the E7-K (updated E7 obviously).  Only about $10 difference.  Now I'm having trouble deciding...

Fractal Define R4 - Asus P8Z77-V Pro - Intel 3570k - MSI GeForce 660 TF/2OC - Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600 16GB (2X 8GB) - OCZ Vector 128GB SSD - WD Black 1TB HDD

e10 if you only want usb and analog volume control

e7k if you want a portable amp with digital volume control

I hate digital volume it's either too loud or too quiet.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

I started looking into the E10 when this thread went up.  Then I saw something about the E7-K (updated E7 obviously).  Only about $10 difference.  Now I'm having trouble deciding...

E07K has a ADI AD8692 OP Amp which specs at a 10 Ohm output impedance.  So much for "updated".

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Now that a little time has passed. Could someone please explain the significance of 24-bit/96kHz Sample rate on the E10

Across the vast and majestic gulf of time and space, the jimmies rustle softly.

Now that a little time has passed. Could someone please explain the significance of 24-bit/96kHz Sample rate on the E10

http://tweakheadz.com/16-bit-vs-24-bit-audio/

tl;dr

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

you only really need 16/44.1 (actually, less) theoretically to be perfectly audibly transparent but it's nice to have extra headroom.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

There they go again with the stairsteps.  It makes sense mathematically and is a good way to express limits, but it makes people think you actually "lose" something.

protip: you don't, the conversion is always audibly perfect thanks to sampling theorem.

This might help too:

https://www.xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml

protip#2: this video is in the FAQ.  You should read it!

k thanks peeps. understand it more now

Across the vast and majestic gulf of time and space, the jimmies rustle softly.

I use my Sansa Clip Zip with Rockbox. MY headphones of choice are my portapro's or my ATH-CKM55. 

I use to have the same setup had a sansa clip+ with a pair portapro's till this bitch in my class through it across the room and cracked the casing which dislodged a component causing it to freeze for hours for a week till it bricked. Returned it to Futureshop just for them to tell me they don't sell sansa anymore but can give me a shitty Coby MP3 player or my money back...... let's just say I was not pleased.

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

I use to have the same setup had a sansa clip+ with a pair portapro's till this bitch in my class through it across the room and cracked the casing which dislodged a component causing it to freeze for hours for a week till it bricked. Returned it to Futureshop just for them to tell me they don't sell sansa anymore but can give me a shitty Coby MP3 player or my money back...... let's just say I was not pleased.

I would've punched this female in the face. Did you take your money back? At that point you could buy a Clip+ on Amazon  :P

At that point you could buy a Clip+ on Amazon   :P

Problem is I don't have a credit card and amazon doesn't accept paypal  :(

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

Problem is I don't have a credit card and amazon doesn't accept paypal  :(

That feel

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to pick up a FiiO E10 with this deal going on: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/24282-audio-deal-of-the-day/page-2#entry506035

[spoiler Unboxing Images]

Nice Packaging

post-2468-0-15274900-1376807605.jpg

No USB cable included, but I guess everyone's got a box of various cables lying around.

post-2468-0-64589200-1376807636.jpg

I've heard many people say it's smaller than they expected, but you don't really understand that until you hold it in your hand...

post-2468-0-73430400-1376807655.jpg

hey is it true the E17 rivals the Xonar U7? or U7 is just "garbage"..

They are different type of products. The FiiO E17 is portable and designed to be used with cellphones, while the Xonar U7 is not. The Xonar U7 has a microphone input while the FiiO does not. A more comparable product from FiiO would be the E10, but like the E17, the E10 does not have a microphone input. The E10 does have analog volume control, while I suspect the U7's is digital. I also suspect the U7's output impedance is higher than the FiiO products' which may be a problem depending on your headphones (check the FAQ for more info on that aspect).

They are different type of products. The FiiO E17 is portable and designed to be used with cellphones, while the Xonar U7 is not. The Xonar U7 has a microphone input while the FiiO does not. A more comparable product from FiiO would be the E10, but like the E17, the E10 does not have a microphone input. The E10 does have analog volume control, while I suspect the U7's is digital. I also suspect the U7's output impedance is higher than the FiiO products' which may be a problem depending on your headphones (check the FAQ for more info on that aspect).

So for gamers, would you not recommend the U7 over the E10 cos of the mic capabilities in that respect..? Just curious :]

I have this terrible static on my onboard sound and really want an external solution to get rid of it. I went for a xonar u3 but it turns out that had static as well and I tested that device with another computer as well as 2 pairs of headphones to make sure it was the U3 making the static. I'm going to return it and I was thinking of getting the E10 but would that be overkill? I really don't need the amp because my Audiotechnica M50s aren't really high impedance. Is there a better solution that is cheaper than the E10? If not I'll probably just grab it. 

So for gamers, would you not recommend the U7 over the E10 cos of the mic capabilities in that respect..? Just curious :]

I've never owned or seen a review of the U7, and I'm pretty sure it's out of production. I can't recommend the U7 for most headphones due to the output impedance I think it has. So no, I wouldn't recommend it to gamers.

I have this terrible static on my onboard sound and really want an external solution to get rid of it. I went for a xonar u3 but it turns out that had static as well and I tested that device with another computer as well as 2 pairs of headphones to make sure it was the U3 making the static. I'm going to return it and I was thinking of getting the E10 but would that be overkill? I really don't need the amp because my Audiotechnica M50s aren't really high impedance. Is there a better solution that is cheaper than the E10? If not I'll probably just grab it. 

Well, the E10 is pretty cheap at the moment. I think the cheaper option is the Xonar U3 and you see what that got you. :P

I've never owned or seen a review of the U7, and I'm pretty sure it's out of production. I can't recommend the U7 for most headphones due to the output impedance I think it has. So no, I wouldn't recommend it to gamers.

Well, the E10 is pretty cheap at the moment. I think the cheaper option is the Xonar U3 and you see what that got you. :P

There will be a new U3, U5, and U7 soon as well as a new Essence One from Asus.  I'm not holding my breath for a lower output impedance, but it would be nice.

oh the new U7 is available in my country..im referring to this

https://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_U7/

And how does it compare in cost to the E10 in your country?

I can't find the spec sheet for the C-Media 6632A "High-Performance Sound Processor " it uses.