quick asus z97 pro Overclocking question

what exactly would my voltage be if I set these settings below:

CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive

Offset Mode Sign: +

CPU Core Voltage Offset: 0.001

Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage: 1.254

I want the max voltage to be 1.255v under load and scale down with the multiplier.

I have tried:

CPU Core Voltage Offset: 0.055

Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage: Auto

Result: 1.210v under load.

========================================

CPU Core Voltage Offset: 0.001

CPU Core Voltage Offset: 0.045

when I change the core voltage in AI Suite, It does make a difference, but I want to do it from the BIOS.

Energy can not be created nor destroyed, just converted to a different Type of energy.
My blog: T3Krant.blogspot.com

where is the question...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

under Advanced Mode>AI Tweaker:

CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive mode

It's usually recommended to dial in an overclockusing BIOS and not AI tweaker software.

OP updated

Energy can not be created nor destroyed, just converted to a different Type of energy.

It's usually recommended to dial in an overclockusing BIOS and not AI tweaker software.

IA tweaker tab from the bios, btw

I just want to verify that from those settings, it will not add 1.255v to the base voltage and fry my CPU and what is the purpouse of the offset?

copy and paste from the Maximus VI series guide stickied in the forum:

Adaptive Mode: Adaptive voltage affects voltage for Turbo multiplier ratios only. Unlike Offset, using Adaptive does not affect idle/light load Vcore. Therefore, Adaptive mode is the preferred method for overclocking Haswell processors if one wishes to retain dynamic voltage changes according to processor load without running into issues with idle Vcore becoming too low..

There is one issue with Offset and Adaptive Mode that needs to be taken into account. The processor contains a power control unit which requests voltage based upon software load. When the PCU detects AVX instructions, it will ramp Vcore automatically beyond normal load voltage. There is no way to lock Vcore to prevent this if using Offset or Adapative Mode. This is pre-programmed by Intel into the PCU.

As an example, a CPU is perfectly stable at 1.25V using a manual voltage (static), if Adaptive or Offset Mode is used instead, it is impossible to lock the core voltage when running software that contains AVX instruction sets – stress tests such as AIDA and Prime contain AVX instruction sets. When the AVX instructions are detected by the PCU, the core voltage will be ramped an additional ~0.1V over your target voltage – so 1.25V will become ~1.35V under AVX load. If you intend to run heavy load AVX software, we recommend using Manual Vcore, NOT Adaptive or Offset Mode.

Most of us do not run AVX related software, so this is a non-issue. Either way, dialing in an overclock using Manual Vcore to determine how much voltage the processor needs under full load is best - Adaptive or Offset mode can be used to match the stable voltage later on. Simply type the target load voltage into the entry box "Additional Turbo Mode CPU core voltage" to set adaptive voltage.

Source: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?41551-Adaptive-voltage-configuration

Quote from : Raja@Asus

IA tweaker tab from the bios, btw

Ah ok I was thinking AI suite that's not the best for overclocking since it's just software.

hmm, I tried those settings and they dont seem to work, still load at 1.210v