Macbook pro for college

Hello, I am looking to purchase a Macbook pro for college, my major is computer science. Of the 13 inch retina models, which model would you recommend? I'm searching for the best price/performance ratio, the sweet spot. I would like it to last me through four years of college.

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/buy-mac/macbook-pro

Thank You, 

Base line Macbook Pro Retina 13inch for best money. If you need it to be super portable Macbook Air 13inch. For power and bigger screen Macbook Pro Retina 15inch.

13in 256GB SSD model

That's the one I've been eyeing, I guess my next question would be if a cpu bump would drastically effect it's longevity. Is the i7 worth it, also will 8gb of RAM be suitable? I do not plan to do any heavy editing. 

That's the one I've been eyeing, I guess my next question would be if a cpu bump would drastically effect it's longevity. Is the i7 worth it, also will 8gb of RAM be suitable? I do not plan to do any heavy editing. 

i5 should be fine. I wouldn't get one without 256GB/8GB myself. I'm looking for the same thing you are, just different application.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

8GB of RAM should be fine unless you plan on doing some work in VMs. OS X is pretty efficient with RAM. 

A CPU bump would have a negligible boost in performance for coding stuff. 

Are you sure though you want a macbook? There are great options on the PC side. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

Base line Macbook Pro Retina 13inch for best money. If you need it to be super portable Macbook Air 13inch. For power and bigger screen Macbook Pro Retina 15inch.

I have a suspicion that the 15 inch models are a bit overkill for my desires. I have a powerful Windows based desktop at home that I built for games but can also handle editing. It's important to note that I will be commuting to college from home, my Macbook pro would be primarily used on campus for notes/work while I'm away from home.

I personally would go for a Y50

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I have a suspicion that the 15 inch models are a bit overkill for my desires. I have a powerful Windows based desktop at home that I built for games but can also handle editing. It's important to note that I will be commuting to college from home, my Macbook pro would be primarily used on campus for notes/work while I'm away from home.

MBA 13inch if you ask me, just because it'll wont need to do anything to powerful, MBA will easily do everything you want and it's cheaper and smaller.

8GB of RAM should be fine unless you plan on doing some work in VMs. OS X is pretty efficient with RAM. 

A CPU bump would have a negligible boost in performance for coding stuff. 

Are you sure though you want a macbook? There are great options on the PC side. 

Yes, I'm certain. I've spoken with a few friends that have gone through computer science programs and they swear by them. I do my best to always keep an open mind though, I'm curious as to what you would suggest on the Windows side. Lenovo's Thinkpad T series has caught my eye in the past. 

Yes, I'm certain. I've spoken with a few friends that have gone through computer science programs and they swear by them. I do my best to always keep an open mind though, I'm curious as to what you would suggest on the Windows side. Lenovo's Thinkpad T series has caught my eye in the past. 

Macs are solid and reliable. But also quite expensive. I was about to suggest the Thinkpad T series as well, and thinkpads in general. There might be something there that might catch your eye. However, the rMBP 13 has a standard wattage processor vs the ULV stuff in the lenovos, so you will get a bit more performance on the Apple side (who would have thunk it?)

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs