How much does open back actually help in fps games?

Jaquavius

Ya... so everything is in the title kind of. I have never tried anything but closed back, but I like bass and noise-cancellation so I am wondering if open back is worth it.

Thanks!

wouldn't that make it worse? Never heard of anyone using open for fps gaming.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

It increases the soundstage. This makes it easier to hear footsteps and gunshots and pinpoint exactly where they are coming from.

Also

Then your lagging behind.

Op:it would really depend on the game as some recent fps have had crap sound and useful footsteps etc

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Then your lagging behind.

Op:it would really depend on the game as some recent fps have had crap sound and useful footsteps etc

Don't all CSGO players use closed headsets? Like Siberia V2s?

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Don't all CSGO players use closed headsets? Like Siberia V2s?

Only the uneducated ones.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Only the uneducated ones.

The pros aren't uneducated all of them wear those..

open backed all the way. 

out of all the closed back headphones I've tried with FPS games the dt770 is not that bad and does decent. but compared to my ad700 the 770 fails. 

and if you've never heard of people using open backs for fps games then you've been on the wrong parts of the internet. the "pros" are paid to wear those shitty fucking ass headsets or the event is supplied with them

In tournaments, pros use in ear monitors, because the ambient sound is far too loud. That's why I don't really think that closed vs open really makes too big of a difference. I've played on my HD650's, and my Shure SE535, and both of them work just as well for me. I don't think that there is too much of a difference once you get into higher end gear, where you have a dedicated headphone with a separate mic. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

lol, most pro's haven't got a clue. Besides, they are forced to wear the headphones they do because of sponsorships and such.

CSGO has a shitty sound engine anyway but having open headphones definitely helps.

In tournaments, pros use in ear monitors, because the ambient sound is far too loud. That's why I don't really think that closed vs open really makes too big of a difference. I've played on my HD650's, and my Shure SE535, and both of them work just as well for me. I don't think that there is too much of a difference once you get into higher end gear, where you have a dedicated headphone with a separate mic. 

Yeah I find no difference aswell granted I'm only a LE, and not a pro in CSGO, I actually prefer closed back more.

That's what a good iem gives you, an actual 2D and 3D imaging.

Have you started saving for that A12 :P?

That is also very true about higher end closed backs that just become open sounding in higher price points.

My Sony mdr z7 has pretty big soundstage and while while not like the ad500 for example it's defiantly close to that and also isolate.

Another example is the mr speakers alpha dog which if it didn't isolate and you would blind test it you would probably think you listen to an open back headphone.

There are many more examples for both in ears and over ears

I prefer open backed to closed back for FPS gaming (with games that actually care about sound programming) but with quality headphones the difference is less than most will imagine.  That said I'd rather have a really good pair of closed back cans than a crappy pair of open ones.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

Big soundstage/stereo imaging helps in positioning and accuracy. This doesn't mean that it's impossible to hear positioning with small soundstaged headphones. Harder maybe, but not impossible. It all brew down to skills. Naturally, the higher the skills, the better they are at positioning, regardless of what headphone they're using.

I believe even if I'm using HD800 (known for its big soundstage), vs a champion using beats, he/she would still kick my ass.....

That's what a good iem gives you, an actual 2D and 3D imaging.

Have you started saving for that A12 :P?

Yeah, maybe. Anyway, I have a house sitting job lined up for this summer, and I'll probably be working full time, in addition. I think I'll be good :P

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)