Turntable -> Speakers

EthanMcL

Heyo!

I have an old turntable (http://imgur.com/a/NTJ8J), and I want to hook it up to my powered speakers (Audioengine A5+)

Does this turntable have an integrated amp, and will hooking up powered speakers blow them?  Want to get some facts together before I introduce this to my $500 speakers ;)

Or does this just have a pre-amp, and hooking them up directly will be fine?  To be honest, I really don't know too much about this area and online wasn't the best, since I can't tell from this turntable!

Help please :D

it probably does not have an amp, but if you want to be sure just hook up your speakers to tape-out

that output is definitely not amplified

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

it probably does not have an amp, but if you want to be sure just hook up your speakers to tape-out

that output is definitely not amplified

Does Tape-out centralize bass and treble, or zero them out?

Does Tape-out centralize bass and treble, or zero them out?

pretty sure it will be flat, directly off of the platter

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Well the turntable doesn't have a Phono output, so it doesn't have a preamp built in, which means you will not blow your speakers.

Just plug it into the speakers L and R and go!

If you want to get rid of that hum, then you will need a separate preamp which you can pick up for pretty cheap. That will complete your system.

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

Well the turntable doesn't have a Phono output, so it doesn't have a preamp built in, which means you will not blow your speakers.

Just plug it into the speakers L and R and go!

If you want to get rid of that hum, then you will need a separate preamp which you can pick up for pretty cheap. That will complete your system.

Either speaker-out or tape-out?  

Either speaker-out or tape-out?  

Not sure what tape out does, but speaker out with a preamp is going to be the best setup here.

So speaker out.

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

Tape out.  It's the only line level output your receiver has available.  Speaker out is *amplified* and besides not sounding good, may damage your speakers, your receiver, or both.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system