Laptop or Desktop ?!?!?!

Hi at this current moment I have just a regular desktop that I use for Video Editing and GFX work (occasional gaming, normally arma3). I was just wondering if there is any notebook out there that would deliver similar performance for these tasks. I need a laptop because I spend a lot of time traveling and need something that helps me do what I have to do on the go. Also I need good audio and was thinking about getting the "FiiO E10" that linus reviewed to replace my sound blaster z. Any Replies would be very appreciated.

"Bigger screen size the better"

FX 8320

GTX 460 (OLD AS F*#K)

120gb SSD & 750gb HHD

Creative Sound Blaster Z

8gb Memory (Wanting 16)

Hi at this current moment I have just a regular desktop that I use for Video Editing and GFX work (occasional gaming, normally arma3). I was just wondering if there is any notebook out there that would deliver similar performance for these tasks. I need a laptop because I spend a lot of time traveling and need something that helps me do what I have to do on the go. Also I need good audio and was thinking about getting the "FiiO E10" that linus reviewed to replace my sound blaster z. Any Replies would be very appreciated.

FX 8320

GTX 460 (OLD AS F*#K)

120gb SSD & 750gb HHD

Creative Sound Blaster Z

8gb Memory (Wanting

Hmmmm...what is your budget ?  first off. How much are you willing to spend for a nice gaming laptop ?

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Also I need good audio and was thinking about getting the "FiiO E10" that linus reviewed to replace my sound blaster z.

About that DAC, you'll need to look at the FiiO E10K, the updated version. It's all around more polished and feels more solid, and it's $75 vs $100-something.

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

FX 8320

GTX 460 (OLD AS F*#K)

120gb SSD & 750gb HHD

Creative Sound Blaster Z

8gb Memory (Wanting 16)

1. Probably the most irrelevant title I've ever read, please make sure that your question matches the topic title.
  2. As @cjm86 and @Ramamataz said, we do need a budget. Otherwise we would just recommend MSI's laptop with Titans in SLI :P.
  3. What are the specs for that you have put there?

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Given that your asking Laptop or Desktop, I'm going to assume that a budget and price over performance isn't the main concern. My answer is Laptop as I get the impression from your question that you wont be gaming in the same place at the same desk all the time. You WILL spend a little more to get the same hardware/performance in a laptop, which is why most people are asking for your budget, but given the question I think your already leaning towards a laptop. If you want a desktop rig you want a desktop rig there is usually no conflict. If your questioning it and thinking about getting a Laptop that tells me that you know your going to be out and about a lot.

My Rig- CPU: Phenom II X4 955 3.2@3.6ghz (OC) Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70 Ram: 2x4GB Patriot Viper 1333@1666Mhz (OC) Cooling: Corsair H55 liquid cooler (CPU), 3x120mm 3 speedTricool blue LED case fans (2 front 1 rear), 1x200mm 3 speed Tricool turbine (top)  PSU: Corsair CX600  GPU: XFX R9 270X 1050@1150 (OC) Storage: 1x60gb OCZ Vertex III (Boot) 1x500GB Western Digital Black (Storage) Keyboard: Roccat ISKU Alien FX Multicolor  Mouse: Roccat Cone Pure Multicolor  Headset: Logitech G430 Display: LG Flatron W2353V

Hmmmm...what is your budget ?  first off. How much are you willing to spend for a nice gaming laptop ?

Budget would be around £1000 which is like $1500 :)

FX 8320

GTX 460 (OLD AS F*#K)

120gb SSD & 750gb HHD

Creative Sound Blaster Z

8gb Memory (Wanting 16)

I'd probably go with a 17 inch ROG laptop from ASUS. they have quad core intel processors, are available with various options for GPU and aren't incredibly loud.

they also include two 2.5 inch drive slots with a cd bay

Given that your asking Laptop or Desktop, I'm going to assume that a budget and price over performance isn't the main concern. My answer is Laptop as I get the impression from your question that you wont be gaming in the same place at the same desk all the time. You WILL spend a little more to get the same hardware/performance in a laptop, which is why most people are asking for your budget, but given the question I think your already leaning towards a laptop. If you want a desktop rig you want a desktop rig there is usually no conflict. If your questioning it and thinking about getting a Laptop that tells me that you know your going to be out and about a lot.

I named it Laptop or Desktop just in case anyone had any portable desktop ideas ;):P (You never know)

For that pricetag, I'd say looking into an Asus ROG one because they have great build quality for the money, as far as I've felt. If that's not what you're looking for, then MSI also has that great quality and specs. IIRC, MSI is generally a bit cheaper than Asus, but it depends on your local pricing.

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

For that pricetag, I'd say looking into an Asus ROG one because they have great build quality for the money, as far as I've felt. If that's not what you're looking for, then MSI also has that great quality and specs. IIRC, MSI is generally a bit cheaper than Asus, but it depends on your local pricing.

Appreciated http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GE70-17-3-inch-Notebook-Black/dp/B00IZFM1D6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430086837&sr=8-1&keywords=msi+ge70 What you think

Never seen this one in person, so I can't speak for build quality, but MSI's Steelseries branded keyboards are great. Like fantastic.

Great specs, good price (that's up to you), and it's super thin for a gaming laptop. I'd love this one myself, I'm a bit jelly.

Moto G (1st Gen)

You probably won't get something ALL that good for 1000 euroes... one sec.

http://mysn.co.uk/shop/xmg-u505-gaminglaptop.html

http://mysn.co.uk/shop/xmg-u705-gaminglaptop.html

From mySN they're too expensive for your budget, but they're the best if you want CPU intensive work. The current mobile CPU using laptops are not meant for anything beyond "medium-light" CPU loads (not "medium" loads).

from Scan UK:

http://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/15in-gaming-laptop-geforce-970m-980m-clevo-p751zm

http://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/17in-gaming-laptop-nvidia-geforce-970m-980m-clevo-p771zm

Yeah, even more out-of-budget.

They're worth the price if you can pay for them, though.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I completely disagree, for that budget you could get something quite good.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Asus-G750JX-17-3-FHD-Gaming-Notebook-i7-4700HQ-32GB-Ram-256GB-SSD-2TB-HDD-/331488629302?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d2e431236

That's pretty beastly spec wise in my opinion, given the price, especially.

My Rig- CPU: Phenom II X4 955 3.2@3.6ghz (OC) Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70 Ram: 2x4GB Patriot Viper 1333@1666Mhz (OC) Cooling: Corsair H55 liquid cooler (CPU), 3x120mm 3 speedTricool blue LED case fans (2 front 1 rear), 1x200mm 3 speed Tricool turbine (top)  PSU: Corsair CX600  GPU: XFX R9 270X 1050@1150 (OC) Storage: 1x60gb OCZ Vertex III (Boot) 1x500GB Western Digital Black (Storage) Keyboard: Roccat ISKU Alien FX Multicolor  Mouse: Roccat Cone Pure Multicolor  Headset: Logitech G430 Display: LG Flatron W2353V

I completely disagree, for that budget you could get something quite good.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Asus-G750JX-17-3-FHD-Gaming-Notebook-i7-4700HQ-32GB-Ram-256GB-SSD-2TB-HDD-/331488629302?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d2e431236

That's pretty beastly spec wise in my opinion, given the price, especially.

Except that for the video editing/rendering he wants, his CPU is very likely to throttle, as with all the HQ chips, which are not meant for anything but light to medium-light CPU work. Medium CPU load and heavy CPU load throttles them, and they're not good to recommend for people who want CPU power.

When people are doing 60fps gaming and the CPU isn't being stressed very much, those CPUs are fine.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Hi at this current moment I have just a regular desktop that I use for Video Editing and G

FX 8320

GTX 460 (OLD AS F*#K)

120gb SSD & 750gb HHD

Creative Sound Blaster Z

8gb Memory (Wanting 16)

Lenovo y50 is good, as well as Asus laptops

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Except that for the video editing/rendering he wants, his CPU is very likely to throttle, as with all the HQ chips, which are not meant for anything but light to medium-light CPU work. Medium CPU load and heavy CPU load throttles them, and they're not good to recommend for people who want CPU power.

When people are doing 60fps gaming and the CPU isn't being stressed very much, those CPUs are fine.

I disagree with your opinion but I do agree with some of what you've said. However, Its marketed as a mid tier gaming laptop, capable of running AAA games at 60FPS+ and it has the reviews to back that up. I do completely hear what your saying about throttling when using turbo frequency's on HQ chips, it is common, your right there, but you can easily use throttlestop to avoid that AND if you don't max it out (e.g run it at 3.4ghz) it will usually be fine/not bottleneck your GPU at all. The frequency of you RAM can also have a big impact in that department. Here's some benchmarks in regards to the Y50 and G750JX. The G750JX is a much better laptop than you give it credit for.

9VpElth.png

I5uFyGI.png

AzERUKg.png

sKXBNoC.png

but you can easily use throttlestop to avoid that AND if you don't max it out (e.g run it at 3.4ghz)

The G750JX is a much better laptop than you give it credit for.

As far as I know now, throttlestop does not circumvent the power limitations of the HQ chips. Maybe TS8's beta does; I haven't had anyone with an HQ and limited CPU test it yet, but I doubt it, since even BIOS/XTU settings are ignored. You're probably right about the 3.2GHz mark, but it depends on the load. Just because a CPU's at 100% doesn't mean it's pulling as much as it can, or that another type of load can't stress it more. At stock voltage/settings for me (but relaxed power limits) on my CPU, rendering a video using x264 when it's fast compression, high-bitrate source (like a shadowplay video) can pull ~10W more than something like XTU's stress test. Another example is TS8's bench test, which is optimized with newer instruction sets, and as a result stresses the CPU *MUCH* less than the old test, etc etc. The point I made stands: if you want a machine with a CPU that you can have control over, especially for heavier workloads than gaming, you don't want a HQ chip.

The specs excepting the GPU are indeed good for the price being asked, but it's also second hand. While it won't do all that great in new AAA titles, it should pretty much run anything you toss at it otherwise, I do agree.

As far as I know now, throttlestop does not circumvent the power limitations of the HQ chips. 

You're probably right about the 3.2GHz mark, but it depends on the load. Just because a CPU's at 100% doesn't mean it's pulling as much as it can, or that another type of load can't stress it more.

The specs excepting the GPU are indeed good for the price being asked, but it's also second hand. While it won't do all that great in new AAA titles, it should pretty much run anything you toss at it otherwise, I do agree.

I'm not necessarily sure how it does it, whether its by "circumventing the power limitations" or not. But it does help to stop throttling.

Not only does reducing the turbo frequency from max to 3.2ghz help but I also meant to imply that you could reduce the maximum processor state for the current power plan from %100 to combat what you specified.

Do you mean second hand as in the Graphics Card is not the best or the item is used? From what I can see on my end it says "New" in the items posting. Not to mention, in my opinion, its Graphics Card is quite good. 3GB of GDDR5, sure the core clock is low (811) but you can boost it. It still has a solid memory interface and plenty of shaders/CUDA cores. Yeah it may not run AAA titles on ultra high... but it will easily push 60+ FPS on normal/medium-high settings.

Everything aside though, all in all I agree with a lot more of what you have said.

I'm not necessarily sure how it does it, whether its by "circumventing the power limitations" or not. But it does help to stop throttling.

Not only does reducing the turbo frequency from max to 3.2ghz help but I also meant to imply that you could reduce the maximum processor state for the current power plan from %100 to combat what you specified.

Do you mean second hand as in the Graphics Card is not the best or the item is used? From what I can see on my end it says "New" in the items posting. Not to mention, in my opinion, its Graphics Card is quite good. 3GB of GDDR5, sure the core clock is low (811) but you can boost it. It still has a solid memory interface and plenty of shaders/CUDA cores. Sure it may not run AAA titles on ultra high... but it will easily push 60+ FPS on normal/medium-high settings.

Everything aside though, all in all I agree with a lot more of what you have said.

I'll have to ask people to run tests with throttlestop 8 then and see. My CPU guide has more information about what the HQ CPUs (at least the current gen, 4710HQ and later ones) seem to do.

Yeah, I understand this, but that still results in you not getting the full potential of the CPU you paid for, which as far as I can see, is just bad bad bad. Even you would agree with that one. What's the purpose of buying a racecar if you never get to race with it, you know what I mean?

The 770M is an old card, and while it was decidedly midrange at the time, it's not very strong right now. It's actually, as far as I would consider it, quite weak for anyone who wants to play newer games. A 780M is a full 50% stronger in most cases, and a 970M is even better than that.

scroll down for benchmarks (not even counting OCing/modified vBIOSes; where 780M is even stronger and 970M easily overclocks like a madman)

770M

780M

970M

That one is my bad though. I thought it was used, but it appears to be new as you correctly stated. It's still sufficiently old enough tech (since it's non-upgrade-able) that I would have suggested something newer, but if it's new it's a good deal still.

I'll have to ask people to run tests with throttlestop 8 then and see. My CPU guide has more information about what the HQ CPUs (at least the current gen, 4710HQ and later ones) seem to do.

Yeah, I understand this, but that still results in you not getting the full potential of the CPU you paid for, which as far as I can see, is just bad bad bad. Even you would agree with that one. What's the purpose of buying a racecar if you never get to race with it, you know what I mean?

The 770M is an old card, and while it was decidedly midrange at the time, it's not very strong right now. It's actually, as far as I would consider it, quite weak for anyone who wants to play newer games. A 780M is a full 50% stronger in most cases, and a 970M is even better than that.

scroll down for benchmarks (not even counting OCing/modified vBIOSes; where 780M is even stronger and 970M easily overclocks like a madman)

770M

780M

970M

That one is my bad though. I thought it was used, but it appears to be new as you correctly stated. It's still sufficiently old enough tech (since it's non-upgrade-able) that I would have suggested something newer, but if it's new it's a good deal still.

Please, ask your people. Lol.

Those were honestly just suggestions I've heard and come across amongst the tech community from my peers and mentors. I've never actually had a problem with HQ chips and throttling myself. I've never had to turn it down or apply any of those fixes. In my opinion, their fine. It seems to be common in certain systems and configurations and as I said previously, your RAM plays a big part.

Understandably It may be "old" by your standards, but a 5770 is whats "old" by mine, and as a business owner and certified IT Technician by trade I still see those daily in systems people use to play LOTS of popular and common games as well as tasks such as editing. The real world isn't the plethora of $2500 systems you see everyday on the internet. Lots of people have to make do. Your expectation are honestly set a little high, especially for a $1500 budget. Have you actually seen all of this specified hardware perform in different systems and configurations first hand? Its a little short sighted to take the full word, without consideration of the latter, of a guide or benchmark which most likely ran the chip or GPU for that matter in a single configuration, in a completely different system than the one I specified, over thousands of reviews left on the product by actual owners.

We'd all like to live in a world where everyone can afford your taste in laptops  :P . That Clevo is gorgeous I must say.

Please, ask your people. Lol.

I've never actually had a problem with HQ chips and throttling myself. I've never had to turn it down or apply any of those fixes. In my opinion, their fine. It seems to be common in certain systems and configurations and as I said previously, your RAM plays a big part.

Understandably It may be "old" by your standards, but a 5770 is whats "old" by mine, and as a business owner and certified IT Technician by trade I still see those daily in systems people use to play LOTS of popular and common games. The real world isn't the plethora of $2500 systems you see everyday on the internet. Your expectation are honestly set a little high. Especially for a $1500 budget. 

Oh I will be. I want to make sure, so I can keep correct/up to date information going.

I did not think there would be any problems either. It was only until someone on notebookreview (a well-known overclocker; he's the guy that does things like this: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5826830 etc) was complaining about "those BGA turds" being power limited. I was confused, since my non-extreme CPU has flexible limitations, and I expected the HQ chips to be simply soldered versions of the same. So I went around asking people. Then I found out that many many users had problems getting their chips to surpass a certain TDP. And in most of their games, that was fine... but some more CPU heavy games they got stuttering and noticed heavy throttling, and when I gave them XTU setups to use (adjusting TDP limits like mine, etc) the settings would never "stick". They could adjust voltage up/down, so undervolting the CPU was the only way around it. But it wasn't a GOOD way around it, as each CPU has a different tolerance for it. My own chips is a shining example: my first 4800MQ could max its OC bins at -80mV offset to the core. I had a board replacement, and they replaced my CPU (against my wishes, mind) and this new one will BSOD if I so much as use -10mV at its max OC and apply midrange loads to it. So undervolting isn't a "end all" solution I could give people. When I notice users wanting to do certain workloads (that I have noticed use a lot of power myself) I instantly make sure to inform them that taking one of the HQ chips is likely to induce throttling and/or overheating (depending on the laptop and workload). It's based on my own demands of a PC doing what I tell it to do, but it still holds water.

As for the RAM, it doesn't seem to make a difference to CPU throttling via TDP or not. It DOES however, matter for some benches like XTU bench, which LOVES dual-channel RAM, and tight timings. Battlefield 4 (and frostbite 3 in general) seems to like fast RAM and tight timings.

You are right, popular games do get played by decidedly midrange hardware, at lower settings, by people who likely don't ever check a framerate counter, etc. Not denying that. But since those consoles have come out, we've seen a jump in many bad directions with newer games, especially AAA titles. Namely in high CPU usage (dying light, GTA V, BF Hardline, BF4, etc) or ridiculously demanding and terrible overall system usage (CoD: Ghosts, Far Cry 4, AC: Unity, Watch Dogs, etc). Even lack of multi-GPU support for games on engines that were almost designed to be multi-GPU friendly (Toxikk, Killing Floor 2, Evolve, Titanfall) etc. I know two of those are in Early Access still, but even so, it's almost built into the engine. I've had games run day 1 with SLI turned on WITHOUT using game-friendly drivers, so I know for sure it is possible.

There are also 970M machines in-budget; in the same price bracket as the ASUS you linked (despite that user being from the UK) that he should be able to get a small SSD with, and maybe 16GB of RAM if he wants. BUT that's not what I was trying to say. I was pointing out that for what he wanted, if he wanted a machine with proper CPU that he could manage as he pleased, he would need more in his budget. In retrospect i could have linked the other models like the P650SE, which would have been closer to his budget.

Hi at this current moment I have just a regular desktop that I use for Video Editing and GFX work (occasional gaming, normally arma3). I was just wondering if there is any notebook out there that would deliver similar performance for these tasks. I need a laptop because I spend a lot of time traveling and need something that helps me do what I have to do on the go. Also I need good audio and was thinking about getting the "FiiO E10" that linus reviewed to replace my sound blaster z. Any Replies would be very appreciated.

FX 8320

GTX 460 (OLD AS F*#K)

120gb SSD & 750gb HHD

Creative Sound Blaster Z

8gb Memory (Wanting 16)

If u still wanna get a gaming laptop, try to take a look at MSi Ghost Pro 2QE. I have one as my dialy use and it's AWESOME!

Trust me!

FYI i also have a gaming rig with GTX 780 in it and that laptop perform almost the same as my rig.