GTA V Stuttering/Screen Tearing GTX 970

Hi,

I'm having a hard time getting GTA to run nicely on my GTX 970. If I enable Vsync, the game just...is not nice to play because of significant fps drops below 60 and even when I'm pushing a solid 60fps it doesn't seem to run "smooth".

If I disable vsync then I just get lots of screen tearing as well as stuttering. I notice as well when I change the refresh rate in game to 120Hz from 60Hz it seems to run a lot smoother even though I am only managing to get about 60-70fps???Surely 120Hz would be unplayable with those frame rates..

Having said that, there are points where 120Hz stutters a lot..

ANy ideas?

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Hi,
I'm having a hard time getting GTA to run nicely on my GTX 970. If I enable Vsync, the game just...is not nice to play because of significant fps drops below 60 and even when I'm pushing a solid 60fps it doesn't seem to run "smooth".
If I disable vsync then I just get lots of screen tearing as well as stuttering. I notice as well when I change the refresh rate in game to 120Hz from 60Hz it seems to run a lot smoother even though I am only managing to get about 60-70fps???Surely 120Hz would be unplayable with those frame rates..
Having said that, there are points where 120Hz stutters a lot..
ANy ideas?

Sounds like a VRAM problem. Turn some of the AA options off and lower your shadow quality. See if it helps.

Turn VSync on. 

That's what I did on my 980s.

Sounds like a VRAM problem. Turn some of the AA options off and lower your shadow quality. See if it helps.

Turn VSync on. 

It's not the VRAM problem in this case. I have average 80FPS+ without Vsync with 3.8GB used on my 970s.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

It's not the VRAM problem in this case. I have average 80FPS+ without Vsync with 3.8GB used on my 970s.

Depends on his settings I guess. I had problems with my 980s on max settings. I'm not talking about the RAM-gate thing.

...do you have a 120hz monitor? If so setting ingame refresh rate to 60hz may cause all kinds of issues, avoid that, there's no reason. Vsync will still limit you to 60fps if you can't reach over 120fps.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Turn VSync on. 

It sounds like Adaptive Sync is the solution for you.  I personally refuse screen tearing in all instances, so Vsync is stuck permanently in the On setting for all my games, even if that means stutter when I drop below my monitor's refresh rate.

However, Adaptive Sync allows you to get the benefits of Vsync, but then temporarily disables Vsync if you dip below 60, even if it is just 59 or 58.  This is useful in those moments when a lot of explosions occur or when you spin your car around fast and see a wider shot of the city.

You can force this on in your NVIDIA control panel for GTA 5 only, or globally for all games.

It sounds like Adaptive Sync is the solution for you.  [...]

I'll try that out. Usually I play without VSync, cause I don't care about tearing. GTA V and Lichdom Battlemage are the only games I actually use it, cause otherwise I would have really bad stutters.