Just disassembled an old PC, look what I found

Hi!

I've disassembled our old 10-15 year old PC and the most interesting thing I found in it was a black amd cpu. 

It is freaking beautiful, its very thin too. I'll add some pics:

post-76426-0-34836400-1430051826_thumb.jpost-76426-0-20696000-1430051851_thumb.j

post-76426-0-61738300-1430051899_thumb.j

I have no idea which cpu that is, maybe someone can help me? Yes, I could go and look into BIOS but I've already disassembled it and will put the parts on my shelf as decoration. Also, what is that silver thing around the center square? Thermal paste? And the four little pads are there for the cpu cooler not touching the cpu, right? (I'm not a native english speaker so sorry that I don't know how to describe things better)

Thanks

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

I think its the socket that both Intel and AMD used to work together. Can't remember the name of it,damnit.

Can you tell me more about that socket? I've been into tech for just half a year so I have no idea about anything before that

Expected you to find something really old, or an alive animal in a dirty PC.

disappointed.

It looks like an old CPU, but not sure which one.. The silver stuff looks like thermal paste to me and I think the small pads are for keeping the cooler 'away' 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Expected you to find something really old, or an alive animal in a dirty PC.

disappointed.

It looks like an old CPU, but not sure which one.. The silver stuff looks like thermal paste to me and I think the small pads are for keeping the cooler 'away' 

Well I can put my cat in there if you wish...

edit: it is ok to remove those pads, right?

Hi!

I've disassembled our old 10-15 year old PC and the most interesting thing I found in it was a black amd cpu. 

It is freaking beautiful, its very thin too. I'll add some pics:

post-76426-0-34836400-1430051826_thumb.jattachicon.gifIMAG18321.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG18371.jpg

I have no idea which cpu that is, maybe someone can help me? Yes, I could go and look into BIOS but I've already disassembled it and will put the parts on my shelf as decoration. Also, what is that silver thing around the center square? Thermal paste? And the four little pads are there for the cpu cooler not touching the cpu, right? (I'm not a native english speaker so sorry that I don't know how to describe things better)

Thanks

Go to systemrequirementslab and let it scan your system. It'll tell you the ram, GPU, CPU, etc.

My guess is that it is a Socket A CPU, clean up the thermal compound and most likely you'll find the numbers you are looking for there.

My guess is that it is a Socket A CPU, clean up the thermal compound and most likely you'll find the numbers you are looking for there.

I dont have 99% alcohol at home, only 50%. Will that be enough to clean it?

I dont have 99% alcohol at home, only 50%. Will that be enough to clean it?

Since you won't use it anyways yes

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Since you won't use it anyways yes

Thanks. But just theoreticaly, what would happen to a cpu if you would use 50% alcohol to wipe off the paste?

Thanks. But just theoreticaly, what would happen to a cpu if you would use 50% alcohol to wipe off the paste?

nothing, 50% is still good enough

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

There'll just be microscopic bits of stuff left on it, theoretically

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

longer wait time for remaining liquid to dry out

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

Its Socket A. Clean off the TC and the model is printed on the die. Its a first series athlon or duron for sure, later models came in different colours, green and brown.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Its Socket A. Clean off the TC and the model is printed on the die. Its a first series athlon or duron for sure, later models came in different colours, green and brown.

Will do and will report back. How much are these firat gen athlons/durons worth? Mine is functional

You don't need anything to remove the thermal paste, in reality. Alcohol just makes it easier. So higher the percentage, the easier it will be.

50% will the same as 99%, just requires maybe 2-3 more wipes for a perfect clean, then normal. And that is, assuming the thermal paste is still liquid. Considering the age of the system and the picture, it is dried so it will be just hard/easy to remove.

(This is from personal experience)

Will do and will report back. How much are these firat gen athlons/durons worth? Mine is functional

They are not worth a whole lot of money, because they are extremely common, and there isn't a desire for them. I'd hold onto it for a while.

FairladyZ | If you want to reply to me, please quote my post! Idiocity, the best money wasting PC build ever!

Almost looks like a pre-gigahertz Athlon or Duron.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Really old CPU's had Solid Gold pins, then later they started to just gold plate the pins.

If those pins are solid, then its solid gold, and worth money. 

Dont throw solid gold pins away.

Its one of these for sure (Socket A or Socket 462)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amd_athlon#Thunderbird_.28T-Bird.29 

They sell on EBay for a few quid, nothing special.

I just learned something, they're actually second gen Athlons, 1st gen models were slot based not socket!!

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

You don't need anything to remove the thermal paste, in reality. Alcohol just makes it easier. So higher the percentage, the easier it will be.

50% will the same as 99%, just requires maybe 2-3 more wipes for a perfect clean, then normal. And that is, assuming the thermal paste is still liquid. Considering the age of the system and the picture, it is dried so it will be just hard/easy to remove.

(This is from personal experience)

I tried with that alcohol I had and smeared it all over. After 2.5hrs of scrubbing with alcohol the cpu is grey not black. What to do?

LOL. This has NEVER happened to be before.

And I already removed freshly put thermal paste that is very oily with 50% alcohol.

I don't know what sheet you use, but clearly they don't absorb.

Anyway, Sorry to hear :/ But quiet funny :)

You can look for actual cleaners of thermal paste.

I already worked with this: http://www.amazon.com/Chemtronics-Chempad-Wipes-50-Pack/dp/B00013287E

Which worked surprisingly well. But it is costly, and you need to use like 2-3 of them, if you want perfect clean CPU.

But I am sure you can find cheaper alternative. Then again 99% alcohol, is most likely the cheapest strongest solution.