Can I put my OS onto my SSD with nothing else?

woochikaboo

Hi, I have been looking around but I don't really understand how to do it. Everyone is saying to put their whole hard disk onto the SSD, but I can't fit 900GB onto my 250GB SSD. I want to put only the operating system onto it, because that will speed it up right? If I'm wrong please tell me and I need help because I have no idea how to do this and nothing I've tried works.

Corsair 230T Black with red LEDs • AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core • Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+  Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (2 x 4GB) Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB (2 x4GB)  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB • Corsair RM 650W • Windows 10 • Logitech G403 + G810 • Audio Technica ATH-TAD300 • 1TB Seagate HDD x 2 256GB SanDisk SSD

fresh install windows onto the SSD.

you could go through and remove all your stuff so you could image it, but images aren't ideal.

Take out your HDD put your SSD in change your sata controller to AHCI mode in the bios.

Install windows.

then plug your other drive back in.

After your done I would sort out your HDD copy all the files you need off it. format it then put all your data back on it.

Then you end up with an SSD with only an OS and then a storage drive.

Edit: Aaaand I just realised I didn't even answer your question. As far as I know there is no way to image only OS files to another drive.

Even if your could it would be terribly broken as it would have linked dll's and registry entries with no corresponding data.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4