Help deciding processor for parent

Go to solution Solved by Opcode,

If she plays only one video at a time online (not three YouTube videos at once) the A4-6300 may suffice. It's about the same price as it is here in the U.S. What you'll be wanting to invest into is memory. Regardless of browser the more tabs you got going (especially Chrome) it's going to devour memory. So if you're looking to run 10+ tabs in two different browsers at the same time 4GB is an absolute minimum. A4-6300 + 4GB + SSD is where I would start. As long as you order a decent motherboard you can always upgrade the machine to a quad core later on.

I have been given the task of buying a new PC for my Mother. I'll be buying it on a site that specializes in custom PC's

I'm having trouble deciding between 4 processors, and am wondering if I could get some help with this. :)

1. AMD A4-5300 APU - 2x 3400MHz (TurboCore 3700MHz) Price: 35€

2.AMD A4-6300 APU - 2x3700MHz(TurboCore 3900MHz) Price: 39€

3.AMD A6-6420K APU -2x4000MHz(TurboCore 4200MHz) Price: 61€

4.AMD A8-5600K APU -4x3600MHz(TurboCore 3900MHz) Price: 96€

Usage:

The PC will be used for intensive internet browsing, meaning 2 browsers open, with about 10+ tabs open on both browsers, and video streaming.

Which CPU would be best for this ? I just don't to end up buying something that doesn't work well enough and ends up being slow.

Edit: - Added prices, sorted from cheapest to most expensive.

Some details?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Details?

Also, nice profile pic ;)

I'd suggest something along the lines of a G3258 if you're building a new rig.

I have been given the task of buying a new PC for my Mother. I'll be buying it on a site that specializes in custom PC's
I'm having trouble deciding between 4 processors, and am wondering if I could get some help with this. :)

1. AMD A4-5300 APU - 2x 3400MHz (TurboCore 3700MHz)

2.AMD A4-6300 APU - 2x3700MHz(TurboCore 3900MHz)

3.AMD A6-6420K APU -2x4000MHz(TurboCore 4200MHz)

4.AMD A8-5600K APU -4x3600MHz(TurboCore 3900MHz)

Usage:
The PC will be used for intensive internet browsing, meaning 2 browsers open, with about 10+ tabs open on both browsers, and video streaming.
Which CPU would be best for this ? I just don't to end up buying something that doesn't work well enough and ends up being slow.

The least expensive one of those.  The things your mom wants to do are so basic a celeron will be fine.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Some details?

Details?

Also, nice profile pic ;)

I'd suggest something along the lines of a G3258 if you're building a new rig.

sorry about the blank post, hit something while typing and it submitted it like that, fixed.

The least expensive one of those.  The things your mom wants to do are so basic a celeron will be fine.

To put this into perspective, She is currently using a laptop with an intel core 2 duo t5250, cpu usage spikes to 100% when it loads webpages. This pc needs to last 5+ years , so it kinda needs to have some power.

Something I don't like about the AMD A4-5300 is that it came out in 2012, which seems a bit dated to me. Is that a problem ?

I have the A8 5600k.

Shit in games, because of the lack of L3 cache, but it's great for browsing, and streaming.

Though I'd get the cheapest quad core out of that list.

If she plays only one video at a time online (not three YouTube videos at once) the A4-6300 may suffice. It's about the same price as it is here in the U.S. What you'll be wanting to invest into is memory. Regardless of browser the more tabs you got going (especially Chrome) it's going to devour memory. So if you're looking to run 10+ tabs in two different browsers at the same time 4GB is an absolute minimum. A4-6300 + 4GB + SSD is where I would start. As long as you order a decent motherboard you can always upgrade the machine to a quad core later on.

I'd go for the A4-6300, 4€ for 200MHz is not that bad

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

• 4 weeks later...

Got the A4-6300 with 8GB ram and an SSD, everything is working great. 

Thanks for the help everyone!