Grand Theft Auto V Video Card Showdown

I've been waiting for this!

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

I feel like I've seen this video already. :)

Main PC: 4690k, LMG Edition G1 Gaming GTX 980, 16GB Hyper X Fury, Asus Z97-A, EVGA G2 850W, Crucial MX100 128GB, WD Red 1TB 2.5", Dark Rock 3

Laptop: Asus UX305 Monitor: Asus PB278Q Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 TKL Mouse: Corsair M65

i was waiting for it

==vFmdH1npbZ6PwRT2mQOGutuP3YBPHGvkcIeOximPMDcb7J4/0QDOrFIaXSrSE5DuEZ750w/PS5kLUjTDL3P+gjflJB7iUPDq7rgJTiZn2L5XK98dDMPYyfKrHVvvzkY0

R9 280X/7970 Crossfire benchmarks pls

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

very much wanna see more core/HT numbers on benchmarks.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

There's more to this than meets the eye.

I don't understand something. How can the 750ti only get about 30fps when my 650 Ti Boost 2GB gets 120+ fps?

I think you should tweak the game to show the maximum each card can handle to get 60fps with no stutters. I think the 750ti handled the game so bad because of the VRam usage. If you showed this, we could get much better performance, because GTA is not playable if the VRAM usage bar is red for a card in the settings menu.

Also, you could try loading NVIDIA GeForce optimised game defaults for each card.

Edit: I had so much trouble with this game at first because I used the NVIDIA defaults which put 2330MB settings on my tiny 1023MB card at the time. You're going to have real issues if you don't have a 4GB card!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

Thank you very much for including different CPUs into your Benchmark. However I got a bit of criticism about that. First, you didn't include AMD CPUs in that score which I understand because swapping out mainboards would propably be quite the hassle (would still be nice, though). But then you didn't quite make it clear that all the CPUs in these charts are Intel CPUs although intermediate PC users can propably guess it. For beginners it might be very misleading, though and they might think that an AMD Athlon X4 860K might perform just as well as an Intel I5. So, I'd really appreciate it if you could be more transparent in that regard.

Also +1 for RAM and VRAM usage.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Those videos have become really awesome. Thanks guys.

And yes, I would definitely like to see VRAM usage.

Cheers

Would like to see in next game release video ( or added extra video to GTA5 ) :

- RAM usage 

- AMD cpus

- Load times / texture pop-in with SSD / HDD / SSHD ?

I know it's alot more work , but with Totalbiscuit's gameplay review , and your technical and benchmark review you wouldn't need anything more to decide to buy a game . Continue doing great videos .

Terve!
I like the including of the CPU Core things. I would like to see an 8 core non HT thing though.

If the FPS are continuing to be flat across the board, you can think of dropping them, but again: I like these numbers.

Good Video.

Sayonara!

please have some cpu's names for the cpu cores......... It would help alot. Simply saying 8 core or 6 core is not enough. Is it a AMD 4 quad core processor or an Intel 4 quad processor ?

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Loved the inclusion of cpu cores affect on fps! I would like to suggest benchmarks on other settings as well. As an owner of a budget gaming system I now know I can run it at 30fps on very high but what settings would I get for it to run at 60fps?

Yes, I'd like to see more cpu core and ram capacity scaling info together with graphics card benches.

Thanks!

Great video having the CPU numbers is nice. 1440p numbers would also be nice to have. 

i7 5820k, Asus X99 Pro, 16GB Muskin Blackline, EVGA GTX 980, Corsair Air 540, Samsung SM951 256GB M.2, Samsung 830 256GB, Seagate 3TB, Ducky shine 4 MX clear & brown, Logitech G700s, Asus PB278q

4K CPU benchmarking again. I can't even luke, I can't even.

please have some cpu's names for the cpu cores......... It would help alot. Simply saying 8 core or 6 core is not enough. Is it a AMD 4 quad core processor or an Intel 4 quad processor ?

It's a 5960X at different setups. You basically have an 8C/16T CPU and you can just turn off cores and HT. It's a really poor way of doing it, because IF the game scaled to 8 cores, that wouldn't really be true for AMD CPU's. Since the per-core performance is so low they have less scaling and will be hung up on the mainthreads.

There's more to this than meets the eye.

I don't understand something. How can the 750ti only get about 30fps when my 650 Ti Boost 2GB gets 120+ fps?

I think you should tweak the game to show the maximum each card can handle to get 60fps with no stutters. I think the 750ti handled the game so bad because of the VRam usage. If you showed this, we could get much better performance, because GTA is not playable if the VRAM usage bar is red for a card in the settings menu.

Also, you could try loading NVIDIA GeForce optimised game defaults for each card.

Edit: I had so much trouble with this game at first because I used the NVIDIA defaults which put 2330MB settings on my tiny 1023MB card at the time. You're going to have real issues if you don't have a 4GB card!

Tweaking each and every card to get a stable 60fps?  You must be totally out of your mind.  Not to mention the amount of CPU combinations this can be done with, by the time this benchmark is done, GTA 6 will be out.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I think they just disable cores and hyper threading on a5960x for the cpu tests. I really dont like the way they do that. And only 4k cpu core benchmarks? And for AMD cpu users the charts mean nothing.  A 4 core AMD is going to perform far worse. And then having all the gpu's overclocked throws in more variables.  But they like to do it  differently then everyone else. So who am I to judge their methods  :lol:  :D

I hope I don't get any compatibility issues like with gta 4...

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Just in regards to doing the CPU core benchmark, is there much utility in really doing it? It seems like a lots of work for a relatively even result. 

MOAR CPU BENCHES

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

This is LinusTechTips, what do you think they'd use?

Please dont do cpu benchmarks at 4k, all your doing is gpu bottle necking the game while adding no extra cpu load.

This is LinusTechTips, what do you think they'd use?

Yeah we know they use intel, but at least tell us the CPU they're using.

I agree with a few of the people, have AMD cpu usage and use an FX-8350 or an FX-9590.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.