The hell?

The Crazed Child

I'm attempting to do a fresh install of Windows 7 but for some reason Microsoft Software Recovery says this?
03EX99Z.png?1
I don't understand, my PC isn't a prebuilt, so why would it say this?

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Its saying that the product key that you are using is made for a pre-built.

If you're trying to use one from a pre-built, that would be the issue.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Because you bought from G2A.  :P

/s incoming flame war.

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Cant you see it says its installed.....

My god...

;)

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Its saying that the product key that you are using is made for a pre-built.

If you're trying to use one from a pre-built, that would be the issue.

It isn't a prebuilt though. It's custom built.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Contact microsoft.. they will sort it out.. they have licencing issues all the time (Have a friend that works for them in licencing)

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

It isn't a prebuilt though. It's custom built.

I'm not saying that your rig is a pre-built, I'm saying that the PRODUCT KEY that you are trying to use WAS MADE FOR A PREBUILT, and can ONLY BE USED ON THAT PREBUILT.

You'll have to buy a new product key.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Because you bought from G2A.  :P

/s incoming flame war.

No, I bought legitimately via a PC store

Did you use an OEM copy Windows?

Yes.

Pirated copy?

Nope.

Contact microsoft.. they will sort it out.. they have licencing issues all the time (Have a friend that works for them in licencing)

k, I will try that

I'm not saying that your rig is a pre-built, I'm saying that the PRODUCT KEY that you are trying to use WAS MADE FOR A PREBUILT, and can ONLY BE USED ON THAT PREBUILT.

You'll have to buy a new product key.

It shouldn't be. Everything was bought from a PC part store, including the OS.

If I have to buy a new product key I won't bother, I will just wait for Windows 10 I guess

-snip-

For my own knowledge (along with all others here)....might I ask which sight you bought from?

*edit: Or brick and mortar store...

Edited by projectmayhem

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

For my own knowledge (along with all others here)....might I ask which sight you bought from?

*edit: Or brick and mortar store...

http://www.computeralliance.com.au/

I bought it 4 years ago.

No, I bought legitimately via a PC store

Yes.

Nope.

k, I will try that

It shouldn't be. Everything was bought from a PC part store, including the OS.

If I have to buy a new product key I won't bother, I will just wait for Windows 10 I guess

Well, if that pc store got that key from somewhere other than microsoft, its probably a bad key.

And if you used it on your pc before, it could have become invalid after being used.

http://www.computeralliance.com.au/

I bought it 4 years ago.

Thank you sir.

I am American, so I am not familiar with the site but I will keep this information in mind for the future.

Nothing makes sense here.

So far I've learnt that Microsoft's Recovery site won't accept OEM keys.

Except most people here use OEM copies for their PCs that they built from scratch, even myself.

Someone explain.

OEM copies can only be tied to one motherboard. Did you install it on another computer or upgrade your current motherboard?

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

OEM copies can only be tied to one motherboard. Did you install it on another computer or upgrade your current motherboard?

No, I'm just trying to do a fresh reinstall but I don't have the original disc so I'm using an ISO

Anyway I've given up now, looks like Windows 10 is just over the horizon so I'm probably upgrading then

People here are confusing activation process of the key and the OS taking the key.

Here is the problem. You are using "Microsoft Software Recovery Tool", a software that you are getting online at Microsoft website. This software ONLY works with retail licenses of Windows, and hence only distributed to them.

As a OEM/System Builder, you are supposed to have the Windows 7 disk. To re-install Windows, insert the disk, and boot from it, and install Windows.

To repair Windows. Insert you Windows 7 disk into your system, boot from it, and you'll have the option to recover your system, instead of install.

windows7_3.jpg

Click on "Repair your computer" link, instead of "Install" button.

These are the only choice you have.

If you have lost Windows 7 OEM disk, then this is your responsibility, it all part of the lack of support from Microsoft, to reduce the price of the OEM license. You need to go online, and find a genuine, non-altered (and cross your finger for that), ISO of Windows 7 64-bit of the correct edition, for OEM (retail ISO won't work).

*snip*

Hmmm, I thought that was so.

As I said above I'm probably going to wait for Windows 10. Maybe I won't be an idiot next time and actually keep the copy.

Yea wait for Windows 10. Here is what I do normally.

I have an external drive, and the first thing I do is make an ISO backup of the disk, put it on the external drive in a folder, and add a basic text file with the serial code. This is my backup of Windows, if anything happens to the disk or box. That external drive has basically all my ISO backups.

I also have a shelf section specifically used for Game disks, Windows and software box. So I basically have my WiiU games, then followed by CoD MW2 which I bought as a disk, Batman Arkham Asylum, Batman Arkham City, Windows Vista boxes (for each of my systems at the time), and Windows 7 Upgrade boxes. Windows 8 was purchased online during Microsoft offer upon its release. Was like 40$. So that one I have no disk, just the ISO.

Hope this helps.

Yea wait for Windows 10. Here is what I do normally.

I have an external drive, and the first thing I do is make an ISO backup of the disk, put it on the external drive in a folder, and add a basic text file with the serial code. This is my backup of Windows, if anything happens to the disk or box. That external drive has basically all my ISO backups.

I also have a shelf section specifically used for Game disks, Windows and software box. So I basically have my WiiU games, then followed by CoD MW2 which I bought as a disk, Batman Arkham Asylum, Batman Arkham City, Windows Vista boxes (for each of my systems at the time), and Windows 7 Upgrade boxes. Windows 8 was purchased online during Microsoft offer upon its release. Was like 40$. So that one I have no disk, just the ISO.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.