Questions Regarding Fan Hubs

Mattrixx

Yours truly here has a couple too many fans, and is looking into purchasing a fan hub, but has some doubts regarding his choice of fan hub.

I have Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition (3 pin) http://www.corsair.com/en-us/air-series-af140-quiet-edition-high-airflow-140mm-fan fans and plan on getting more, but I need to power them. I think going with a fan hub that would allow me to control the speed via a motherboard fan header would be a good option as a 5.25 drive bay fan controller is out of the question. The fan hub would need to offer control of the 3 pin fans that would be attached, and be able to power 6 fans. For the hub, size doesn't matter (heh), and I would prefer it if it didn't cost over 30USD.

I had settled on the Phanteks PH-PWHUB_01 PWM Fan Hub as the reviews for it on Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811984004&cm_re=fan_hub-_-11-984-004-_-Product are positive, but upon "digging" a bit more, I have my doubts.

According to several reviews on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-PWM-Fan-Controller-PH-PWHUB_01/product-reviews/B00M0R05WE/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending, the hub has limited low-rpm control. As my "Quiet Edition" fans run at a relatively low rpm, I wasn't sure if using those low rpm fans with the hub would be the best idea, and thought I'd draw from the store of knowledge residing in the collective consciousness of those hanging around the forums to either allay my fears or tell me something else entirely.

1. So are my fears unfounded, or will i need another fan hub? Comments on the fan hub or anything i should know about it?

2. Is my choice in fan hub a bad one, with a better one to be had? Is there another option?

3. If I need another hub, do you have any recommendations?

4. Is this post too long for just a couple questions about fan hubs?

Thanks for your time!

EDIT: Clarified I wanted the fan hub to be controllable by way of a motherboard fan header.

I don't do signatures.

Honestly, What I did is I needed to power 4 fans in total. NZXT had these great little splitters that were sleeved and thats the way I did it. has great RPM Control and powers 100 Percent. As for fan hubs, I have no Idea. Hopefully that helps Somewhat.  :(

Fan splitter : http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Individually-Sleeved-Premium-CB-3P-Y/dp/B003ZDNXZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430016966&sr=8-1&keywords=Fan+splitter+NZXT

Honestly, What I did is I needed to power 4 fans in total. NZXT had these great little splitters that were sleeved and thats the way I did it. has great RPM Control and powers 100 Percent. As for fan hubs, I have no Idea. Hopefully that helps Somewhat.  :(

Fan splitter : http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Individually-Sleeved-Premium-CB-3P-Y/dp/B003ZDNXZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430016966&sr=8-1&keywords=Fan+splitter+NZXT

Thank you! It most certainly will help if the fan hub idea doesn't pan out. Going with splitters does sound attractive after hearing it worked for you; I only need to power 6 fans in the foreseeable future after all.

Only real issue I take with going with splitters is that it won't look nearly as clean as a fan hub. Aesthetics are something I take into serious consideration, as I like to show off my build.  :unsure:

I don't do signatures.

Thank you! It most certainly will help if the fan hub idea doesn't pan out. Going with splitters does sound attractive after hearing it worked for you; I only need to power 6 fans in the foreseeable future after all.

Only real issue I take with going with splitters is that it won't look nearly as clean as a fan hub. Aesthetics are something I take into serious consideration, as I like to show off my build.  :unsure:

Well, one of my things when I build computers is the cable management in my systems has to be gorgeous. So using those fan splitters are really a godsend for the cable management side of things. Oh and if its a white case you are building, the only help I can offer there is get a white splitter. These are nicely wrapped in paracord black. :D

Well, one of my things when I build computers is the cable management in my systems has to be gorgeous. So using those fan splitters are really a godsend for the cable management side of things. Oh and if its a white case you are building, the only help I can offer there is get a white splitter. These are nicely wrapped in paracord black. :D

Nope, the black is just what i wanted/needed. Thanks again  :D

I don't do signatures.