H80i or Hyper 212 EVO

SixThousandFish

Either one, IMO. I'd go for the 212 EVO though since it is cheaper and still does well.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Well an H80i will give you more performance, but a 212 evo will cool very efficiently for the price. On my A10-7850k I Idle at sub-zero temps with the evo (In celsius)

You could go either way, but I would go with the EVO for sheer price to performance value

Depends what you can afford. The H80i is a $90 water-cooler and the 212 Evo is a $30 aircooler. I'd recommend the 212 Evo because you could spend that extra money on a game and you even if you're overclocking you don't NEED that much cooling.

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

Well an H80i will give you more performance, but a 212 evo will cool very efficiently for the price. On my A10-7850k I Idle at sub-zero temps with the evo (In celsius)

You could go either way, but I would go with the EVO for sheer price to performance value

Saying as that's physically impossible unless your ambient is below 0 that's nice.

Id'e personally get a 240mm radiator cooler like the H100i, however for a mild overclock the 212 will suffice.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

The 212 is cheaper, but I don't want to cheap out on performance

The difference is quite small in reality.. if your overclocking it may gain you a little if your pushing But the price difference can allow possibly a GPU upgrade or SSD upgrade which will be much more beneficial.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Should I get an H80i or an HYper 212 Evo for an Intel i5-4690k?

The Hyper 212 EVO is great for it's price but it's not going to be suitable for the same levels of overclocking that something like an H80i would be. It depends on what you want to spend, how much cooling you actually need, and what your case will support.

Can someone explain to me why the h80i would perform better? The 212 is thicker than the h80i from what see in the specs.

This case is quite intriguing for me because I just received a new h80i unit from corsair as a RMA replacement. While my H80 was being sent back, I was using my old hyper 212 plus in it's place. I've noticed that the 212 plus is actually cooling a little better than the h80 was even with only 1 fan installed. I am asking this because I think it might be a good idea to sell the H80i since I haven't noticed much performance variance betweent he H80 and the 212 plus.

Just to be completely transparant, the h80 had gentle typhoon ap14 in push pull while the 212 plus had a single scythe slip stream pwm fan.

By the way, I can't saw enough about the slip stream pwm fan. It pushes so much air and is whisper quiet.

Arc Midi R2 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Intel i5 4690k | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair H80 | Crucial M4 128gb | 8gb 1333 Mushkin Silverline | EVGA G2 750

Filko Ninja TKL Cherry MX Black | Mionix Naos | Fiio e10k | Edifier S330D | Sennheiser HD558 | Blue Snowball | Asus PA238QR | Samsung BX2250

Can someone explain to me why the h80i would perform better? The 212 is thicker than the h80i from what see in the specs.

This case is quite intriguing for me because I just received a new h80i unit from corsair as a RMA replacement. While my H80 was being sent back, I was using my old hyper 212 plus in it's place. I've noticed that the 212 plus is actually cooling a little better than the h80 was even with only 1 fan installed. I am asking this because I think it might be a good idea to sell the H80i since I haven't noticed much performance variance betweent he H80 and the 212 plus.

Just to be completely transparant, the h80 had gentle typhoon ap14 in push pull while the 212 plus had a single scythe slip stream pwm fan.

By the way, I can't saw enough about the slip stream pwm fan. It pushes so much air and is whisper quiet.

Well Rovert, The difference is that the H80i is a liquid cooling circuit. In many cases, and depending on the liquid used, liquid is much more efficient at conducting and dissipating heat that a solid heat pipe. However there is something called adiabatic cooling where pressure can lower the temperature even further. The best advice I can give you, is that it depends entirely on your setup. Obviously nothing's going to outmatch a quad radiator custom loop with a gallon of coolant in it, but sometimes it is a tossup between AIO coolers and air. There's one other thing, When you use an AIO cooler, Your fans and the pressure they cause (Especially in push-pull) can basically turn it into an Air conditioner that gets you ridiculous temperatures. But it is true that air is sometimes quieter than water.

Well Rovert, The difference is that the H80i is a liquid cooling circuit. In many cases, and depending on the liquid used, liquid is much more efficient at conducting and dissipating heat that a solid heat pipe. However there is something called adiabatic cooling where pressure can lower the temperature even further. The best advice I can give you, is that it depends entirely on your setup. Obviously nothing's going to outmatch a quad radiator custom loop with a gallon of coolant in it, but sometimes it is a tossup between AIO coolers and air. There's one other thing, When you use an AIO cooler, Your fans and the pressure they cause (Especially in push-pull) can basically turn it into an Air conditioner that gets you ridiculous temperatures. But it is true that air is sometimes quieter than water.

I'm still a little confused. I was seeing a small performance increase when using the 212 plus over the h80. Is the difference between the h80 and h80i so much that the h80i out performs the 212 plus?

Arc Midi R2 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Intel i5 4690k | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair H80 | Crucial M4 128gb | 8gb 1333 Mushkin Silverline | EVGA G2 750

Filko Ninja TKL Cherry MX Black | Mionix Naos | Fiio e10k | Edifier S330D | Sennheiser HD558 | Blue Snowball | Asus PA238QR | Samsung BX2250

I fail to see why anyone ever goes back to air coolers, an AIO 120mm water cooler can be had for 50 bucks.  I dont care if you can find an air cooler that achieves the same temps. Water coolers exhaust all the heat straight out the case.  The temps of every other component in the case improve immediately. I wouldnt use an air cooler unless it was like a 35 watt tdp part and temps just weren't an issue.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

I'm still a little confused. I was seeing a small performance increase when using the 212 plus over the h80. Is the difference between the h80 and h80i so much that the h80i out performs the 212 plus?

The h80i is quite a bit thicker than the H80. The reason the H80i outperforms the 212 Evo is due to the density of the fins. 

Depending on pricing and your specs, there may be better alternatives though. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The h80i is quite a bit thicker than the H80. The reason the H80i outperforms the 212 Evo is due to the density of the fins. 

Depending on pricing and your specs, there may be better alternatives though. 

Well you see, in my current situation, I actually have both the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus and the Corsair H80i. The H80i was a RMA replacement for my old H80. I haven't opened the H80i yet thinking it might be a good idea just to sell the H80i since the 212 is working pretty well. However if actually out performs the 212, I think I would be inclined to keep it.

If I understand correctly, H80i > 212 plus > H80?