You can ask Gabe personally about paid mods on Reddit

Bouzoo

Gabe Newell, the co-founder of Valve Corporation, is taking questions in an AMA on Reddit right now regarding Steam's introduction of paid mods in its Steam Workshop.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/polygon?ref=ts&fref=ts

Reddit link: https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/33uplp/mods_and_steam/

Give it a shot

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Eh, don't use Reddit.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

/r/pcmasterrace is not pleased with Gabe's answers, accusing him of damage control, which, based on his posts, he is indeed doing.

Thread

Thats all he is doing, and the redditors are tearing him a new one. 

What was that famous saying that fat bastard once uttered? Don't lie to the internet? 

Its different when you're caught with your pants down and everyone wants to castrate you, eh Gabe? 

What was that famous saying that fat bastard once uttered? Don't lie to the internet? 

Its different when you're caught with your pants down and everyone wants to castrate you, eh Gabe? 

Is it raining blood? Is the sky on fire? Because we agree on something.

I'm trying to read this reddit thread, but I don't really understand reddit's layout as far as responses etc. go. I'm used to forums like this, where quotes and responses are kind of obvious, the primary reason I avoid reddit like the plague.

But it seems like Gabe cares what we think, regardless of his motivations for caring. I have to say I agree with some of what Linus and Slick said. If the modders were getting the larger share of the price of their mods, this could be a good thing. It could offer people a chance to turn something they love and do in their free time, into a career, which is something that should always be supported. However I think an "encouraged donation" "scheme" would be better than a pay-wall. That, or some form of dynamic pricing system, where prices are set automatically based upon popularity and (probably not possible) popularity.

Then again, I'm drunk, Valve//Steam customer support is almost as much of a joke as Comcast customer support, so Gabe can care all he wants, without any significant action or change in policy, his "caring" is meaningless.

/drunk

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Ya know, I honestly never thought I'd see Gabe be so heavily downvoted upon until now. With a statement like that, he honestly deserves it.

Dear Gabe, your being retarded:
post-155575-0-33343100-1430005142_thumb.

Just look at the amount of games that won't work without steam, making them exclusive to steam.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Rule #1 in being a CEO: you don't say SHIT until PR and HR tell you it's safe. Because reasons like that.

In glad he's getting flak. He had so many childish temper tantrums in the past, especially against MS who he had the balls say that they were "ruining gaming".

Guess what Gabe? MS didn't support a initiative that makes people pay for mods. Mods that have always been free for a reason. MS didn't over night break the community over this issue. MS isn't the money grubbing whore right now - you are.

Console Master Race FTW. We don't even have mods, so we can't get shafted by Gabe and Beth and anyone else.

Can you please explain the situation? I don't really know what this whole thing is even about

that fat bastard

Well isn't that a little excessive? ^^

The way I see it, of course this is damage control, but there are worst ways of doing it. Of course he can't answer everyone, or even a tiny percentage, but the fact that he's willing to answer any questions at all is nothing to scoff at. If people really don't want it it will probably go away, it was a mistake and they'll realize that pretty soon. Other companies have been given a free pass for worse (which is not to say people shouldn't complain).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well isn't that a little excessive? ^^

The way I see it, of course this is damage control, but there are worst ways of doing it. Of course he can't answer everyone, or even a tiny percentage, but the fact that he's willing to answer any questions at all is nothing to scoff at. If people really don't want it it will probably go away, it was a mistake and they'll realize that pretty soon. Other companies have been given a free pass for worse (which is not to say people shouldn't complain).

Free pass 24/7 from fans=Nintendo (I just had to say it)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Rule #1 in being a CEO: you don't say SHIT until PR and HR tell you it's safe. Because reasons like that.

In glad he's getting flak. He had so many childish temper tantrums in the past, especially against MS who he had the balls say that they were "ruining gaming".

Guess what Gabe? MS didn't support a initiative that makes people pay for mods. Mods that have always been free for a reason. MS didn't over night break the community over this issue. MS isn't the money grubbing whore right now - you are.

Console Master Race FTW. We don't even have mods, so we can't get shafted by Gabe and Beth and anyone else.

Well good thing the Nexus is still free then!~

And remember that this was Microsoft's vision of the future of gaming a few years ago. I don't think we'd be any better off with them.

Free pass 24/7 from fans=Nintendo (I just had to say it)

Yup, that's often the case. Although usually when you buy from nintendo it's for a very specific use scenario which is rarely affected by their retrograde policies. If all you want to play is mario kart and zelda, it's hard that you'll be bothered by the creator's program on youtube or the rest of the nonsense.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Dunno about all this... I think mods should be free but if they are paid they should have to pay a licence fee or similar to the game / engine.. Just like any other game would.

As for how much they should get.. Well that should be determined by whatever they can negotiate.. just like any music artist or other small games studio has ever had to do with publishing / distribution.

I do think 25% is a bit on the low side though... 35 - 40% would be better and about 50% would be ideal. (Really, look at any small games cut of the price, I doubt it'll be much more than this depending on how they do it)

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Isn't it a bit silly to expect official answers on behalf of a company from an AMA thread on Reddit?

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

I think this was the most positive thing out of that thread was this: Gabe doesn't agree with censoring people speaking out against paid mods.

0uunJZf.png

It's just going to be a bunch of excuses anyway, why waste time on this.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

calling a CEO a "Fat bastard" is wrong,you are nothing in front of his talent and skills so watch you tongue.I agree what he did was wrong,but he atleast care's and that's the only reason he did an AMA.Yes MS did try to ruin gaming.I bet you wont be able to run that company for even a day.

You think he cares? He doesn't give a fuck. 

Everything he said was corporate double speak and PR fluff, he said nothing of substance. Don't think he cares, he doesn't. The companies bottom line is all that matters to a CEO. Don't ever think a billionaire is your friend. 

Go back to reddit and the circle jerk that /r/gaming has over pretending he did nothing wrong. Even PCMR has had it with Valve at this point in time, and thats saying something.