gigabyte gtx 970 g1 gaming vs sapphire R9 290 trix vapor

Hey, so i been recently doing some recearch on the gtx 970 and i found out that there is a hardware problem and the card does not have 4 GB RAM but instead 3.5.

does it still worth it comparing to the sapphire r9 290 trix vapor, considering that it costs a lot more than the r9 and came out with a hardware deficiency?

the 970 is still a great card and by the time it gets to 3.5 gigs anyway the GPU reaches its limit anyway from what I've seen

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

yes it has 4GB of vram

its just that some people get a performance decrease when using over 3.5GB

NOT EVERYONE seems to have this problem

also its very unlikely that you will EVER use over 3.5GB unless youre gaming at 1440p or 4k and ultra quality

the 970 performs better than the 290x, and will perform even better then the 290, so unless you plan to game at 4k in the future (which you would not be able to do with only one 970 or 290) the  the 970 will definitely be a better choice

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

G1 Gaming will ruin it.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

290?

i would not get a regular 290 over a 970 any day of the week

290x maybe its just a little slower than 970

What resolution are you playing at? The vram "issue" ios really no big deal, but at higher resolutions the r9 290 performs very close to the 970 (trading blows), so since it's usually much cheaper it would be a better choice.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'll personally go with the 970. But if was vs a 290x then it would be a better match. The only significant advantage of the 290 is its price.

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

the 970 is still a great card and by the time it gets to 3.5 gigs anyway the GPU reaches its limit anyway from what I've seen

yes it has 4GB of vram

its just that some people get a performance decrease when using over 3.5GB

NOT EVERYONE seems to have this problem

also its very unlikely that you will EVER use over 3.5GB unless youre gaming at 1440p or 4k and ultra quality

the 970 performs better than the 290x, and will perform even better then the 290, so unless you plan to game at 4k in the future (which you would not be able to do with only one 970 or 290) the  the 970 will definitely be a better choice

290?

i would not get a regular 290 over a 970 any day of the week

290x maybe its just a little slower than 970

What resolution are you playing at? The vram "issue" ios really no big deal, but at higher resolutions the r9 290 performs very close to the 970 (trading blows), so since it's usually much cheaper it would be a better choice.

so generally the 970 outperforms the R9 the higher the resolution, does the extra cost of the 970 make it more futureproof, mostly in 1080p???

what abou the potentials of the crossfire/sli? which one is better, (considering the price and the performance)??

so generally the 970 outperforms the R9 the higher the resolution, does the extra cost of the 970 make it more futureproof, mostly in 1080p???

what abou the potentials of the crossfire/sli? which one is better, (considering the price and the performance)??

at 1080p the 970 is far better

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yep, the 290X can pull ahead a little bit at 2K, and at 4K the 290X performs even better.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Yep, the 290X can pull ahead a little bit at 2K, and at 4K the 290X performs even better.

so in other words, the R9 is no match for the 970, i wonder if  Gsync is added as well, the R9 is eating the dust of the 970.. and besides the price the R9 has nothing to show

so in other words, the R9 is no match for the 970, i wonder if  Gsync is added as well, the R9 is eating the dust of the 970.. and besides the price the R9 has nothing to show

The R9 290X is a match, with FPS that are pretty close in most games at 1080p (don't forget that both cards are killers of the old Titan). Its just the small problem of shitty memory bandwidth that stops the 970 from edging out the 290X at all resolutions.

PMSL

No. First of all, "future proof" is a void concept and makes no sense. You can't do it, and you'll only result in wasting money if you try. A 970 is overkill for 1080p, so since the R9 290 is much cheaper it would be a better choice. At 1440p and especially 4k the R9 290 pulls ahead in performance.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

i use my 290x for 1080p 

works like a dream

Most people forget that, which is a shame. Heat is a non issue as well-my room is a lot warmer than the rest of the house due to folding with my GXT 970 (down clocked to reference-stability problems at factory settings).

PMSL

OP is talking about a 290, not 290x

Spoiler

Its still a similar deal, its better for 2K and 4K, 1080p it falls behind a bit but not by too much.

PMSL

No. First of all, "future proof" is a void concept and makes no sense. You can't do it, and you'll only result in wasting money if you try. A 970 is overkill for 1080p, so since the R9 290 is much cheaper it would be a better choice. At 1440p and especially 4k the R9 290 pulls ahead in performance.

you are prety much right about the whole futureroofing concept (from now on i ll use the term only to describe easier what i want to say) . i my case though i ment that spending less money on the R9 could be the actuall futureprof thing that i could do, by saving money and maybe adding one more R9. 

you are prety much right about the whole futureroofing concept (from now on i ll use the term only to describe easier what i want to say) . i my case though i ment that spending less money on the R9 could be the actuall futureprof thing that i could do, by saving money and maybe adding one more R9. 

That's actually not a bad idea, the R9 290/290X are both very capable cards, and in crossfire they would be perfect  for 2K and maybe 4K gaming (plus crossfire scales a lot better than SLI since its going through the PCIe lanes instead of a bridge)

PMSL

Its still a similar deal, its better for 2K and 4K, 1080p it falls behind a bit but not by too much.

although similar the 290x is better, but from what i have researched, i found out the the 290 is a better money to performance deal. so i kinda consider them the same.

That's actually not a bad idea, the R9 290/290X are both very capable cards, and in crossfire they would be perfect  for 2K and maybe 4K gaming (plus crossfire scales a lot better than SLI since its going through the PCIe lanes instead of a bridge)

in this case, would a EVGA supernova g1 650w be enough for 2 R9 (hungry cards) and an intel 4690k , with not many peripherals be enough?

although similar the 290x is better, but from what i have researched, i found out the the 290 is a better money to performance deal. so i kinda consider them the same.

Either way, they are both good cards despite what Nvidia fanboys say about them. (Note that while I own a 650 ti nd 970, and last owned an ATI card in 2003-which was a 9000igp mobility radeon, I used my friends AMD rig-8350+ 290X and noticed none of the 'space heater' issues).

PMSL

i use my 290x for 1080p 

works like a dream

did you notice any problems? Not necessarily something big, but usual screen tearing or other not so sagnificant problems??

screen tearing happens when your card is way better than your monitor

vsync is your friend

i use a tv so anything above 60 will cause it

if u use a gaming monitor with a high refresh rate u wont get that prob and can use vsync off

i only paid 340 cad for my 290x 

I don't really recommend crossfire setups for 1080p 60hz, you're better off saving for an upgrade in 3 years or so. Spending less money on an R9 290 could mean having more money for that upgrade, or in general not having spent 80 bucks for 10% more performance, which is a pretty good deal if you ask me.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*