Zero Compromise Wireless Headphones (Range, SQ, Latency)?

cloneman

What if I wanted to throw 300-700$ at a problem that's bothered me for years?

So I have some experience with Bluetooth and Proprietary solutions, and there are 3 main points on which I evaluate these products

- Latency for watching video (varies a lot with bluetooth)

- Sound quality (again, varies a lot with bluetooth based on the source device's codec)

- Range (really sucks with bluetooth, these things are designed to be within a few feet of you)

As far as bluetooth goes i'm fairly satisfied with my bluebuds x (especially when using them with a mac, my windows BT 2.1 adapter is disappointing), and the Steelseries H provides more range (I can listen from another room)

But, both options are still limited.

Wireless headsets I've tried:

- Range is either low(BT) or mediocre (Proprietary)

- Latency is either 'Meh' (BT) or  "probably" insignificant (Proprietary)

- SQ is usually 'good enough' but there aren't many devices to choose from. Logitech G930 seriously lacked bass.

- Not many options for open wireless headphones.

TL;DR.

Criterion 1: Seriously impressive range, even if the source is in the basement. Like, averge-sized House, some backyard coverage, etc. Has to work mostly everywhere, not just across 2 1/4 rooms.

Criterion 2: Latency. If possible, has to be wired headphones grade. I'm not a pro gramer, but I hate A/V sync issues for TV and moties

Criterion 3: Sound quality. I'm not an audiophile. Koss portapros and Bluebuds x (when used with a Mac) sound great to me. I like heavy bass and otherwise "normal" sounding 50$ headphones. There are many expensive wired headphones which I've tried and don't like.

Interesting non-solutions:

- Airplay/WiFi which provides unlimited range with wifi access points, but of course there's 1 second lag, it's not for video.

- FM headphones, which provide zero latency, possibly decent range with an expensive source, but probably are lacking in terms of SQ.

Welcoming any interesting suggestions that don't meet all my criteria... seems like meeting just 1 is hard anyway :)

I think we're still a few years out from a 0 compromise solution.

as for range I have serious doubts.

when using wifi to remotely listen to computer audio with rogue amoeba software it cuts out with range. even inside my house and this is WIFI audio paired to my phone. bluetooth is always going to remain small form factor and energy saving which is opposite of what you want if you want range.

Sennheiser has some expensive models that don't use Bluetooth. I think the RS195 is the top end. Dunno about range, but latency should be good. Also not gonna find an open backed wireless headphone - all the components which make it wireless would get in the way anyways.