LG 34um94 worth getting?

EpIcPoNaGe

I saw that the monitor was on sale and was wondering if it'd be worth getting. I currently am using dual 1080p 60hz monitors and sometimes I just feel like there isn't enough room. I really like the concept of an 21:9 1440p monitor but I'm just worried about the fact that it's 60hz. With the same amount of money I could get the acer predator but I like having extra screen real estate. This is a pretty big purchase and if I do end up getting this, I won't be upgrading my computer for quite a while.

Desktop: The Bluez | CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.5 ghz 1.296V | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: P8Z77 M-Pro | Memory: 16 GB 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX  

GPU: Asus GTX 780ti DirectCu II | HDD: Some Random Hitachi 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, 850 EVO 500GB | PSU: Rosewill Hive 750W | Case: Enermax Ostrog GT (Blue Ver.) 

Laptop: Razer Blade 14 2013 256GB

Absa-freaking-lutely.

Probably the best monitor on the market right now, IMO. For gaming, editing, rendering, design, professional work, movies, entertainment, I don't care.

Period.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

If its a 50:50 split between working and gaming, then definitely worth it. If you are looking for something for just gaming, the Predator would be better. Does also depend on games. If you are into FPS, the 60Hz and lack of G-sync might be a deal breaker, while your simulators and action games are better suited to the ultrawide. Lastly is the graphics card- 780 might not be enough to hit a consistent 60Hz on ultra, so might want to consider upgrading that as well while you are at it.  

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

Absa-freaking-lutely.

Probably the best monitor on the market right now, IMO. For gaming, editing, rendering, design, professional work, movies, entertainment, I don't care.

Period.

Haha I think it'd be a really good monitor. I'm just wondering if its worth the 800(including tax) price tag...

If its a 50:50 split between working and gaming, then definitely worth it. If you are looking for something for just gaming, the Predator would be better. Does also depend on games. If you are into FPS, the 60Hz and lack of G-sync might be a deal breaker, while your simulators and action games are better suited to the ultrawide. Lastly is the graphics card- 780 might not be enough to hit a consistent 60Hz on ultra, so might want to consider upgrading that as well while you are at it.  

It's actually more 75:25 working and gaming. I personally haven't used gsync but from what I've heard, its amazing so I'm not sure if I want to get a non gsync monitor. I think the 780 ti should be sufficient for most of the games I play. I'm willing to turn down the AA anyways. 

Desktop: The Bluez | CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.5 ghz 1.296V | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: P8Z77 M-Pro | Memory: 16 GB 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX  

GPU: Asus GTX 780ti DirectCu II | HDD: Some Random Hitachi 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, 850 EVO 500GB | PSU: Rosewill Hive 750W | Case: Enermax Ostrog GT (Blue Ver.) 

Haha I think it'd be a really good monitor. I'm just wondering if its worth the 800(including tax) price tag...

It's actually more 75:25 working and gaming. I personally haven't used gsync but from what I've heard, its amazing so I'm not sure if I want to get a non gsync monitor. I think the 780 ti should be sufficient for most of the games I play. I'm willing to turn down the AA anyways. 

Sounds like you are in a similar boat to me. I'm looking at the Dell U3415W (same LG panel, but $100 less), but for a similar price I can get the Predator, which looks amazing for gaming. I guess it's just a balance between what you value more- productivity or gaming. I'm leaning towards productivity, just because I do so much more work than game and it seems like the best way to get value your money. Seems a shame to spend that much on 144Hz G-sync and only get to make use of them occasionally.

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”

Albert Einstein 14 December 1930

Haha yeah I know about that monitor but its just so much more expensive.... Also I heard its only going to run at max of 75hz anyways  :(

Sounds like you are in a similar boat to me. I'm looking at the Dell U3415W (same LG panel, but $100 less), but for a similar price I can get the Predator, which looks amazing for gaming. I guess it's just a balance between what you value more- productivity or gaming. I'm leaning towards productivity, just because I do so much more work than game and it seems like the best way to get value your money. Seems a shame to spend that much on 144Hz G-sync and only get to make use of them occasionally.

Same. I'm leaning towards more productivity. I just don't want to buy it and then regret it... 

Haha yeah I know about that monitor but its just so much more expensive.... Also I heard its only going to run at max of 75hz anyways  :(

Same. I'm leaning towards more productivity. I just don't want to buy it and then regret it... 

If the words of our High Lord Linus means anything- if you are using the monitor for 50:50 work and gaming, ultrawide is the better buy. To be honest, I've read into ultrawide for gaming quite a bit, and everyone says its incredible, so I don't think you'll regret it. It's just a question of whether it is the BEST investment compared to the Predator. If you have the opportunity, I would try both in person. Might help make up your mind.

just so much more expensive.... Also I heard its only going to run at max of 75hz anyways  :(

Best of both worlds, 21:9 1440, IPS, G-sync. The LG is only 60hz. But yes if the g-sync isn't worth the premium to you than the LG is a great choice.

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

If the words of our High Lord Linus means anything- if you are using the monitor for 50:50 work and gaming, ultrawide is the better buy. To be honest, I've read into ultrawide for gaming quite a bit, and everyone says its incredible, so I don't think you'll regret it. It's just a question of whether it is the BEST investment compared to the Predator. If you have the opportunity, I would try both in person. Might help make up your mind.

I'd love to try both but I don't know anywhere that has either monitor. I've also read that ultrawide is amazing for gaming too. I'm going to mull over this for a few days and make sure its not an impulse buy  :P I do have until the 30th before the sale is over. 

Best of both worlds, 21:9 1440, IPS, G-sync. The LG is only 60hz. But yes if the g-sync isn't worth the premium to you than the LG is a great choice.

Well the LG is only 750 compared to the expected release price of 1300 for the Acer... I just don't know if I could justify the extra $550. 

Well the LG is only 750 compared to the expected release price of 1300 for the Acer... I just don't know if I could justify the extra $550.

Oh wow last time I looked at that lg it was about 1200. Seems like a steal at 750.

Oh wow last time I looked at that lg it was about 1200. Seems like a steal at 750.

Yeah it does seem like a steal. Only thing is that 750 is still quite a bit...  

The LG for $750 is totally worth it.  I wish the Dell U3415W was that low since it has a much better stand.  The Acer for $550 more is not worth it at all.  You only get a mere 15 Hz more.  

The LG for $750 is totally worth it.  I wish the Dell U3415W was that low since it has a much better stand.  The Acer for $550 more is not worth it at all.  You only get a mere 15 Hz more.  

and g-sync. Its the only 34" ultrawide with g-sync, so they can charge what they want.

and g-sync. Its the only 34" ultrawide with g-sync, so they can charge what they want.

Still sucks though :L

Still sucks though :L

Hopefully other companies will want to earn some of those profits too and gives us some competition

Hopefully other companies will want to earn some of those profits too and gives us some competition

That is indeed the hope!

Ill be buying one regardless