Is this a bottleneck, or something else?

Go to solution Solved by mapegl,

Thanks again for the information. Based on what you just said, I think I already have my voltage on fixed as it goes down while idle. Anyway, I'm sorry if this turned into a overclocking thread, not what I expected. Before I put the nail on the coffin, so do you think my voltage is to High for 4.4 ghz? I do want to get a 4.2 but it's so confusing beacuse there's no way to define my actual voltage, unless I'm missing something here, no idea what the negative values are when changing voltage

(edit) just did some research and people are saying I can read vCore through TouchBIOS. I'm assuming that's a downloadable program?

Nah you probably use offset since you said you can use +0.something in your bios. That is definitely offset.

I would say 1.36 is too high for 4.4Ghz, BUT this is the silicone lottery and maybe yours need that voltage to stay stable. Mine is fine with less. Though as I said before: Voltage doesn't kill a CPU, temperature does. So if temps are fine there is not much to worry about.

I use CPU-Z and openHardwareMonitor to look at temps, speed and voltages. Works out well for me.

Hey guys, lately I've been experiencing some low FPS on GTA V, with most of the settings put on high-very high I'm getting around 45 FPS in the city and 60 in the country, what's worrying is when I had a look in my GPU TWEAK, my GPU usage is peaking at 60%. Yesterday night everything was going smooth, I got my new 970 and I was getting 99-100% GPU usage and pretty good FPS, so all of this started today for some odd reason. I tested shadow of mordor and on max except AA I was getting a solid 60-70 FPS, and normal usage on my GPU. My i5 2500k at 3.30 ghz is pretty much topping in usage, so could this be a bottleneck? I got a screenshot down below. 

If this is a bottleneck, will overclocking help? Or will I need a new CPU?

post-189518-0-57954000-1429990287_thumb.

Does look like the CPU is bottle necking the gpu, Overclock will help at least somewhat.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Does look like the CPU is bottle necking the gpu, Overclock will help at least somewhat.

A Quad Core i5 bottlenecking a 970?

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

A Quad Core i5 bottlenecking a 970?

Possibly.. If he overclocks it and gets an increase in frames / gpu usage it would suggest that it is.

Also he should look at what is using the cpu at those times.. If it's just the game or something else.

It may be your cpu but I doubt it. Are all drivers up to date?

All drivers are up to date

@Ooxaz Can you tell us your temps?

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

Possibly.. If he overclocks it and gets an increase in frames / gpu usage it would suggest that it is.

Also he should look at what is using the cpu at those times.. If it's just the game or something else.

I have a 212 evo but I'm scared to overclock beacuse my bios is super old, and it's a gigabyte bios. Is there anything I can do to fix this? And even if it was a bottleneck. Why aren't other games effected?

I find it strange that you get a higher FPS in the country, with me i get higher FPS in the town. 

I find it strange that you get a higher FPS in the country, with me i get higher FPS in the town.

Well i found that turning down grass quality solves that for the most part.

Seriously, call me an asshole but I don't really understand why people keep saying this game is so optimised, either my luck with PC's is rubbish or this games optimisation is really just hyped up.

My gpu temps never go above 70'C and my CPU stays between 45-50

That's some sexy temps!

Try to play a wide range of games. For example, try an MMORPG (Like Guild Wars 2), a 2D puzzler (Gunpoint) and a FPS (Battlefield 4).

Look if their FPS's are normal. If not, than somethings wrong with your PC. If their FPS's ARE normal, than you just have the FPS problem that some people in GTA V have. I think ADZ_123_!"£ has a fix for it, if I recall correctly. (Can't use @[MemberName] on him, sorry).

Basic guide to CPU's!

That's some sexy temps!

Try to play a wide range of games. For example, try an MMORPG (Like Guild Wars 2), a 2D puzzler (Gunpoint) and a FPS (Battlefield 4).

Look if their FPS's are normal. If not, than somethings wrong with your PC. If their FPS's ARE normal, than you just have the FPS problem that some people in GTA V have. I think @ADZ_123_!"£ has a fix for it, if I recall correctly.

Lol thanks man, I will test out some games and get back to you tonight as I'm not at home atm. Please keep an eye on this thread later on..

@Ooxaz Just use the Nvidia experience tool and the slider to tweak if you want better visuals / performance.

There is probably some setting in there thats been cranked and it's hammering on your CPU.

Lol thanks man, I will test out some games and get back to you tonight as I'm not at home atm. Please keep an eye on this thread later on..

Will do! I followed the topic, and I suggest you do too (otherwise you won't always get a notification if someone posts something here).

[spoiler=The button is here (it says unfollow as I already followed it :P)]M8H9Db4.png

Basic guide to CPU's!

@Ooxaz Just use the Nvidia experience tool and the slider to tweak if you want better visuals / performance.

There is probably some setting in there thats been cranked and it's hammering on your CPU.

I find it to be terrible tbh, I already used it but all it gave me is a result of 30 fps which is apparently optimal. I already went through the settings twice and configured them accordingly using the nvidia gta v guide on their website.

Will do! I followed the topic, and I suggest you do too (otherwise you won't always get a notification if someone posts something here).

[spoiler=The button is here (it says unfollow as I already followed it :P)]M8H9Db4.png

"virtual high five "

Hey, how you doing?

So I benchmarked shadow of mordor and arma 3 today, unfortunately that's the only games I have installed atm. Shadow of Morder was doing flawless, GPU usage was right up there never dipping below the 90's and cpu usage was averaging between 50-80-90 percent. HOWEVER there was a problem in arma 3, big one. I used the Geforce recommended settings for it and GPU AND CPU usage were both in mid 30's, every now and then going to 70 percent but fps was shit as garbage. I was running the highest settings I could get on SOM and was getting a rock solid 60 FPS, it was like heaven. 

[EDIT]: I also noticed today that my CPU usage was set to low on task manager on GTA 5, so I turned that up to high and it helped the FPS dips, not by a ton though. I also noticed that the GPU usage at night time goes up on my GPU in gta, resulting in no more frame dips, but in daylight the gpu usage spikes between 80% and 40% while the cpu usage is almost always at 100%.

[EDIT 2]: I also forgot to mention that I turned up my power limit on MSI afterburner all the way up, I wonder if that will help anything..."Shrugs"

I'm thinking of just returning my Graphics card right now, I'm sure 99% it's not the GPU's fault, however I'm kinda feeling like i wasted my money you know? All it gave me thus far was headaches in gta 5.

Hey, how you doing?

So I benchmarked shadow of mordor and arma 3 today, unfortunately that's the only games I have installed atm. Shadow of Morder was doing flawless, GPU usage was right up there never dipping below the 90's and cpu usage was averaging between 50-80-90 percent. HOWEVER there was a problem in arma 3, big one. I used the Geforce recommended settings for it and GPU AND CPU usage were both in mid 30's, every now and then going to 70 percent but fps was shit as garbage. I was running the highest settings I could get on SOM and was getting a rock solid 60 FPS, it was like heaven. 

[EDIT]: I also noticed today that my CPU usage was set to low on task manager on GTA 5, so I turned that up to high and it helped the FPS dips, not by a ton though. I also noticed that the GPU usage at night time goes up on my GPU in gta, resulting in no more frame dips, but in daylight the gpu usage spikes between 80% and 40% while the cpu usage is almost always at 100%.

[EDIT 2]: I also forgot to mention that I turned up my power limit on MSI afterburner all the way up, I wonder if that will help anything..."Shrugs"

That's some f**** up s***. It could indeed be the GPU, because logicically, the CPU can't work too much harder than the GPU. Do you have an old GPU lying around, or iGPU which you can replace your current GPU with for a second? Try Arma III with that. If the CPU usage increases, than there's probably a problem with your GPU.

Basic guide to CPU's!

Hey, just for the lolz... check your Cpu settings in the bios. I had a pretty similar problem some months ago, couldnt get above 40 fps in BF 3 with 100% cpu utilisation, where before i hade like an average of 80 fps with 60% cpu utilisation or something. Turned out my cpu was set to max 16x mutliplier in the bios... i have no idea why that was, but it was...

shadow of morder is an heavaly GPU bound game, so its not that strange that your gpu ussage is right there.

Arma 3 is a cpu bound game, thats a diffrent story.

I think that your cpu is bottlenecking, or according to your provided screen shot.

i see that you are sitting damm high on ram ussage.

Maybe you are running out of system memory?

Maybe some applications running in the background, that take allot of cpu and ram ussage?

malware? or what not?

shadow of morder is an heavaly GPU bound game, so its not that strange that your gpu ussage is right there.

Arma 3 is a cpu bound game, thats a diffrent story.

I think that your cpu is bottlenecking, or according to your provided screen shot.

i see that you are sitting damm high on ram ussage.

Maybe you are running out of system memory?

Maybe some applications running in the background, that take allot of cpu and ram ussage?

malware? or what not?

Well, I'm about to go to bed so don't expect a response until tommrow. Anyway, thanks for replying. U doubt it's Malware since i reinstalled windows not long ago on my ssd. However my ram speed is set to 1300 mhz so maybe that has a role? Sometimes windows does automatically change my theme to basic saying I'm using to much memory to.