$600 video editing build #firsttime

I am looking into building my own computer for the first time. I am first looking for a case and a motherboard. i know that i will have water cooling for my CPU so i need a place for a radiator the the fans for it as well. i would love to get a case with racks for hard drives as when i upgrade i will want to turn this PC into a plex server.I want to go for ddr3 ram, and I want to do 16 GB and upgrade to 32 GB later. I want to get an 256 GB boot SSD as well. This computer will be used for a lot for Photoshop an premiere pro ; with light usage in after effects. I would like to run a game or two once i a while like GTA but if this computer isn't powerful enough i will just end up using an older version like GTA 4. Totally not a big deal for me. So...... down below are a list of what i need to be at the most $600 and will give me the most out of my video editing workflow.

1. Computer Case
  2. Motherboard
  3. 16GBram
  4. 1tbHD
  5. 256SSD
  6.  2 or more GB video card
  7. CPU
  8. cpu water cooler
  9. anything else i missed

Thank you guys for all the help!!!!

PS sorry, Ithink I'm in the wrong section to post this so please don't get mad at me I'm new to the whole form world this is my first one lol

I think $600 for an editing rig is a little too less especially with the kind of specs you're looking for.

For powerful rig the CPU (i7 4790K) and GPU (GTX 970) itself will take around $600+.

I am looking into building my own computer for the first time. I am first looking for a case and a motherboard. i know that i will have water cooling for my CPU so i need a place for a radiator the the fans for it as well. i would love to get a case with racks for hard drives as when i upgrade i will want to turn this PC into a plex server.I want to go for ddr3 ram, and I want to do 16 GB and upgrade to 32 GB later. I want to get an 256 GB boot SSD as well. This computer will be used for a lot for Photoshop an premiere pro ; with light usage in after effects. I would like to run a game or two once i a while like GTA but if this computer isn't powerful enough i will just end up using an older version like GTA 4. Totally not a big deal for me. So...... down below are a list of what i need to be at the most $600 and will give me the most out of my video editing workflow.

1. Computer Case
  2. Motherboard
  3. 16GBram
  4. 1tbHD
  5. 256SSD
  7. CPU
  8. cpu water cooler

PS sorry, Ithink I'm in the wrong section to post this so please don't get mad at me I'm new to the whole form world this is my first one lol

First off, with such a tight budget, I'd forget water cooling. It's a luxury thing and not cost effective. There are better things you can put money on that will equal more real performance gains. 

1. Computer Case
  2. Motherboard
  3. 16GBram
  4. 1tbHD
  5. 256SSD
  7. CPU
  8. cpu water cooler

Yeah you dont have the budget for what you want, Better to get 8 gb DDR3, 128 gb SSD, just buy a 212 cpu cooler, you cant afford water cooling at that budget  nor would oyu make good use of it. Also if your new to pc building water cooling is not recommended aswell. Video card shouldnt be a problem. I'd say youd be looking at a r9 280. Maybe look into buying some refurbished parts like the cpu. If you buy the 280 you might have enough money to buy a decent I5, I do like AMD but intel just has better CPUs... For the case, buy the cheapest mid ATX you can find. Also is that 600 with peripherals? Cause then its just impossible to do, unless you want a 240p screen. Save up more money and youll be able to afford this pc.

You can probably afford 16gb MHZ ram but im not sure. DDR2 is pretty cheap aswell.

EDIT: summer is around the corner, get a job in the summer and buy your beast of a pc

EDIT2: Please note on top of the raw parts you may need to buy some thermal paste, sata cables and other small parts, alone they dont cost much but they can add up. Also dont forget you will need  a OS, windows7 on a good day is 60$. Unless you want windows 8 which is even more pricy. Dont forget about those little things, they add up real quick. Hense why it is never a bad idea to have like a 50$ bumper zone

My article on subscription based services and why they are the way forward http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/382625-what-the-future-holds/

Yeah you dont have the budget for what you want, Better to get 8 gb DDR3, 128 gb SSD, just buy a 212 cpu cooler, you cant afford water cooling at that budget  nor would oyu make good use of it. Also if your new to pc building water cooling is not recommended aswell. Video card shouldnt be a problem. I'd say youd be looking at a r9 280. Maybe look into buying some refurbished parts like the cpu. If you buy the 280 you might have enough money to buy a decent I5, I do like AMD but intel just has better CPUs... For the case, buy the cheapest mid ATX you can find. Also is that 600 with peripherals? Cause then its just impossible to do, unless you want a 240p screen. Save up more money and youll be able to afford this pc.

You can probably afford 16gb MHZ ram but im not sure. DDR2 is pretty cheap aswell.

EDIT: summer is around the corner, get a job in the summer and buy your beast of a pc

EDIT2: Please note on top of the raw parts you may need to buy some thermal paste, sata cables and other small parts, alone they dont cost much but they can add up. Also dont forget you will need  a OS, windows7 on a good day is 60$. Unless you want windows 8 which is even more pricy. Dont forget about those little things, they add up real quick. Hense why it is never a bad idea to have like a 50$ bumper zone

With that budget, I don't even think an SSD is feasible if I'm honest. 

This is what you can get with that budget closest to what you want i think:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($163.95 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($54.75 @ OutletPC) 

Storage: PNY CS1111 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Micro Center) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.99 @ Micro Center) 

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280 3GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: Fractal Design Core 2300 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($36.99 @ NCIX US) 

Total: $603.53

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-25 18:39 EDT-0400

This is how much it would take for your wishes:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($279.99 @ Micro Center) 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 280L 122.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($104.99 @ NCIX US) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($92.99 @ Amazon) 

Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Micro Center) 

Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($80.98 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280 3GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 

Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ NCIX US) 

Total: $1028.90

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-25 18:47 EDT-0400

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

With that budget, I don't even think an SSD is feasible if I'm honest. 

Yeah not really, I mean especially a 256, You can buy a sandisk 128gb for like 50 bucks and thats pretty decent for fast boot up. But this low end editing build dont think the SSD what be that big of a boost

My article on subscription based services and why they are the way forward http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/382625-what-the-future-holds/

This is the closest I could get and it make a LOT of sacrifices to hit your wish list.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($163.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CLP0556 39.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($9.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($51.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($97.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.64 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($148.96 @ Amazon)
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($37.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $679.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-25 18:06 EDT-0400

Remove the SSD and the HD and replace it with a SSHD and get quite a lot of improvements for close to the same price.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($229.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CLP0556 39.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($9.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($51.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($97.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card ($166.98 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($37.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $699.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-25 18:12 EDT-0400

To get a "Wonder build for pennys" you need to have most of the parts already on hand or buy used.

With a non overclocked cpu you do not need watercooling (the only reason there is a cooler is that the tray processor + cooler is cheaper than a box processor of the same cpu.

4core/8thread, better card and some of the benefits of an SSD

however, this is way to low-spec for serious video editing (if you are going to be a content creator) you should expect to spend upwards of 1k or more for a good video edit rig.

If however you are wanting to know what order to buy I would go

1. Case                          to cover what you want you would need a large full tower case that will accommodate the number of drive you foresee running. (4,8, 20) get any case fans at this time

2. Motherboard/cpu        Get both at the same time as they are co dependent.

2a. Heat sink                   Choice is dependent on the above items

3. Memory                      Depends on the Motherboard/cpu

4. Video card                  (can also come first if you can use it in an existing system while getting the other items)

5. SSD/HHD                    (same as the video card)

6. Power supply               You need to know the total power draw of the above items to be able to get the proper Power Supply rating. (total amount needed + 1/3 usually is a good rule of thumb)

This is what you can get with that budget closest to what you want i think:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($163.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($54.75 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: PNY CS1111 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Micro Center) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.99 @ Micro Center) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 2300 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($36.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $603.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-25 18:39 EDT-0400

This is how much it would take for your wishes:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($279.99 @ Micro Center) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 280L 122.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($104.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($92.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Micro Center) 
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($80.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1028.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-25 18:47 EDT-0400

Lovely build the first one a good idea of what he realistically needs to pay in order to get the PC he wants. Yeah like I said, r9 280 and a 212 is probs what he will need to settle for

Lovely build the first one a good idea of what he realistically needs to pay in order to get the PC he wants. Yeah like I said, r9 280 and a 212 is probs what he will need to settle for

He could probably use something less than a 280 like a 270x but the 280 is a good deal right now.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)