Ubuntu: Changing which windows accept background input?

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone knows of a way to set a windows to accept input even if it's not in focus. AKA, in the background.

So say I have Firefox open. I'm typing in Firefox. But I also have Text Editor open and it's also getting the same input. So if I type www.linustechtips.com in Firefox's URL bar, it will also type www.linustechtips.com in Text Editor. 

I was wondering if Unity or some other Windows Manager could do that. 

Thanks,
Vitalius.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

snip

first of all doing it in unity would be counterproductive(well not really. you'll just get better results with lesser file sizes using simple programming w/o using a game engine)

anyways dude I think what you're looking for is a keylogger program. I made one back then when I was ~11 but it was really simple not many functions and a horrible GUI interface but it was functional enough to fool my parents into changing the password. Where I can easily grab it using the keylogger.

here are some free ones. https://www.raymond.cc/blog/free-and-simple-keylogger-to-monitor-keystrokes-in-windows/some of these have really extensive options like scheduling and turning on keylogging whenever a specific program(s) is/are running

edit: oh crap forgot that this was for ubuntu, pretty sure some of those have linux compatible versions http://askubuntu.com/questions/14180/how-can-i-install-a-keylogger-software

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

-snip-

That example was just to show what I wanted: Where input is registered by a window in the background. 

I actually want to do this with some gaming stuff, so that two people can play games on one computer at the same time (two different games). A keylogger wouldn't help with that, unless I don't understand how that works. 

Thanks though.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

That example was just to show what I wanted: Where input is registered by a window in the background. 

I actually want to do this with some gaming stuff, so that two people can play games on one computer at the same time (two different games). A keylogger wouldn't help with that, unless I don't understand how that works. 

Thanks though.

now that's complicated. hmm as far as I know windows doesn't allow that and I never encountered such a program before.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]