Time Warner Cable Pursued By Charter? *Rumor*

Time Warner Cable Being Pursued Again

2.22631510.jpg

"Comcast is out, but that doesn't mean Time Warner Cable is off the market. Charter, which already cast a losing bid for the provider in 2014, is considering trying to acquire TWC again, according to the Washington Post" -Engadget

So after the fallout of the comcast-TWC buyout, another company is pursuing them. According to the rumor. This time it's Charter, "the 4th largest internet provider." As an internet user myself, (and all of you are, I mean you're here aren't you?) this infuriates me. Does anyone here actually think that this is a good thing? Competition is the greatest thing for consumers in business. Also, if this was already posted, excuse me. I didn't see it on the front list.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/24/charter-eyes-time-warner-cable-again/

"Gaming is the greatest gift of modern artists"

Competition is a good thing, but in a country where there is literally no competition between ISPs, a buyout hardly matters. #shotsfired

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Competition is a good thing, but in a country where there is literally no competition between ISPs, a buyout hardly matters. #shotsfired

While that is true, we still have to prevent things like this. It might not mean much, but the idea alone is enough to warrant precaution.

"Gaming is the greatest gift of modern artists"

It very much does matter. There may not be a ton of regional overlap between the major ISPs but what there is is important and it is also important to keep the power spread out. Charter buying TWC isn't as much of a concern as Comcast doing it but it would move the 4th place company into 2nd and remove even more people from the playing field. I've been mostly happy with Charter over the years I've had them (though their support is complete shit) but I'd hate to see them buy TWC and only further magnify their issues. Being in 4th place seems to have really pushed Charter the last couple years to really improve their services and speeds, not to mention prices are rather reasonable (at least in my area). I can't imagine how much end users would suffer if they spent $40+ billion buying TWC.

Beyond that there is the issue of TV access and these large companies having so much control over pricing and other deals. Can you imagine if a Charter/TWC worked with Comcast to fuck over HBO Now to try and force them to drop the stand alone service?

Anyone feel like we are dealing with a Hydra when it comes to ISP's and corporations in general?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs