New build freezes all the time

zivkovicjan
Go to solution Solved by JamGorby,

The PSU is from THRUST and its like 4 years old.

Its this one: http://www.trust.com/en/all-products/14461-450w-hightech-psu-silent-big-fan-pw5770

That would be my first suspect. Hell, I can't even find a spec sheet on it. Their own product page doesn't have any specs on it that would be useful. 

PSU's can cause these kinds of problems. Especially if it's one based on an old project that has been reworked with modern connectors which is a common practice on cheap PSU's. You end up with high amps on the 3 and 5 volt rails and low amps on the 12 volt rails because that's what old PC's needed back in the day. These will have trouble running modern PC's that rely more on 12v rails. Considering you've upgraded your CPU to a more power hungry one that may very well be the culprit. I would replace it with something reliable of a good brand name at either rate. 

Hello guys, i recently build a computer for my brother and now I'm having some problems. I bought new cpu, motherboard and ram, only old components left were the case, dvd unit, PSU, graphics card and the hard drives. Basicly the computer is freezing even on simple tasks. It freezes while in windows and opening a folder, while using chrome, takes 6-10 minutes to start up windows completely. The temperatures on the computer are all under 60 °C, so it cannot be overheating.

Heer is some info:

System specs:

motherboard: asus m5a97 r2.0

cpu: amd fx-6300

ram: 2x 4gb samsung ddr3 1600mhz pc3-12800 M378B5173QH0-CK0

graphics card: amd radeon hd 5850

PSU: 450 watt

bios version: 2501

I did clean install of windows 7, yet the problem persists. I have also ran memtest86 and got 0 errors.

Here is also CPU-Z report: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_vgeVfKfAtPeXZUQXN0UjVRZHc&authuser=0

If you need anything else tell me.

Thanks, Jan

Hello guys, i recently build a computer for my brother and now I'm having some problems. I bought new cpu, motherboard and ram, only old components left were the case, dvd unit, PSU, graphics card and the hard drives. Basicly the computer is freezing even on simple tasks. It freezes while in windows and opening a folder, while using chrome, takes 6-10 minutes to start up windows completely. The temperatures on the computer are all under 60 °C, so it cannot be overheating.

Heer is some info:

System specs:

motherboard: asus m5a97 r2.0

cpu: amd fx-6300

ram: 2x 4gb samsung ddr3 1600mhz pc3-12800 M378B5173QH0-CK0

graphics card: amd radeon hd 5850

PSU: 450 watt

bios version: 2501

I did clean install of windows 7, yet the problem persists. I have also ran memtest86 and got 0 errors.

Here is also CPU-Z report: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_vgeVfKfAtPeXZUQXN0UjVRZHc&authuser=0

If you need anything else tell me.

Thanks, Jan

What kind of PSU is it and how old? 

The PSU is from THRUST and its like 4 years old.

Its this one: http://www.trust.com/en/all-products/14461-450w-hightech-psu-silent-big-fan-pw5770

That would be my first suspect. Hell, I can't even find a spec sheet on it. Their own product page doesn't have any specs on it that would be useful. 

PSU's can cause these kinds of problems. Especially if it's one based on an old project that has been reworked with modern connectors which is a common practice on cheap PSU's. You end up with high amps on the 3 and 5 volt rails and low amps on the 12 volt rails because that's what old PC's needed back in the day. These will have trouble running modern PC's that rely more on 12v rails. Considering you've upgraded your CPU to a more power hungry one that may very well be the culprit. I would replace it with something reliable of a good brand name at either rate. 

Ok, I will try that on monday (can't do it any sooner, since the problematic pc is at my brothers house...), I'l let u know how it goes.

Thanks!

Though you stated you have purchased new RAM still run memtest as you could have got a lemon. Definatly run a hard drive scan to ensure that HDD isn't to be blame. Two tools i use off Hirons boot CD is Vivard and Seagate sea tools.

Though you stated you have purchased new RAM still run memtest as you could have got a lemon. Definatly run a hard drive scan to ensure that HDD isn't to be blame. Two tools i use off Hirons boot CD is Vivard and Seagate sea tools.

As i have said in my first post, i have already ran memtest and the ram is fine.

As i have said in my first post, i have already ran memtest and the ram is fine.

Oh sorry I must had missed that part. Are you able to try different ram though? I have come across situations where memtest didn't pick up a fault and I changed out the ram and it fixed it. But since you also stated it take 5 - 10 minutes to fully load windows it's possible that it's the HDD. I'm currently working that one out on my partners PC but haven't gotten around to purchasing a replacement drive for her.

The pc has 2 drives inside, had windows on both and it took the same time to boot. Thats why I dont think its the drives. I will try different ram on monday aswell. I will let u all know the outcome.

I'm calling fault on the two hard drives which were migrated over.

Run the HDTune benchmark: http://www.hdtune.com/on both drives and post screenshots back.

While you are at it, post the SMART data for both drives.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

This really sounds like a Hard Drive issue..

Have you consider buying a SSD and use that mainly for your OS and then get a good Western Digital Black or Blue Edition Hard Drive 7200rpm  for all your other applications to run from..

My suggestion is to ether get a SSD that is at least a 250gb or 128gb, my self I prefer a 250gb SSD as it is only few more dollars to have extra space and I would also suggest on getting a Samsung 850 EVO SSD you can get them now at a very good price..A SSD will really increase your boot up time so much faster then a hard drive will..

Thanks for all the sugestions. I have tried replacing the PSU and that stopped all the freezing. Looks like the PSU was after all the problem. I also checked the hard drives with HDTune and they are at the end of life. I will replace them as soon as posible. Thanks all!

Thanks for all the sugestions. I have tried replacing the PSU and that stopped all the freezing. Looks like the PSU was after all the problem. I also checked the hard drives with HDTune and they are at the end of life. I will replace them as soon as posible. Thanks all!

Glad you got it sorted. Good luck.