April 24, 2015 - The WAN Show Document

Soundcloud Link: https://soundcloud.com/thewanshow/the-wan-show-valve-you-suck-right-now-google-a-carrier-april-24-2015

News

Skylake CPUs leaked with specs [RUMOR]

Source 1: linustechtips.com/skylake-cpus-leaked-with-specs… OP: Lord Sparklebottom

Source 2: sweclockers.com/tio-modeller-av-intel…

• ten Skylake CPUs leaked with specs

• LGA 1551 socket

• 7 i5 variants, 3 i7s

• expected release in Q3 2015

The First USB Type - C Phones (3 of Them)

Source 1: linustechtips.com - the first usb type c phones 3 of them OP: Mroooozi

Source 2: stuff.tv - worlds first phone usb type c port here and youve probabl

• units from LeTV (Chinese Entertainment company)

• a number of benefits over microUSB (reversible, connecting devices to an external display, supporting different display standards)

• low-end version has 5.5in 1080p Full HD screen, Mediatek Helio X10 64 bit processor, 3GB RAM, 13MP camera, 3000mAh battery

• midgrade is 5.5in 2K display, Snapdragon 810, 13MP camera, 4GB RAM, no comment on battery size

• high-end (phablet) 6.3in 2K display, Snapdragon 810, 4GB RAM, 21MP camera (Sony sensor, 4K video), Custom DAC with AKG Audio, Wireless HDMI, 3400mAh battery

OnePlus One available to buy whenever, OnePlus Two will have invite system

Source 1: linustechtips.com/oneplus-one-available-to-buy… OP: TopWargamer

Source 2: androidcentral.com/you-can-now-buy-oneplus…

• “In our first big celebration of the One's successful year, we are opening up sales globally for everyone, every day of the week.”

• stated that they now “feel confident” to handle the “increased complexity that comes along with opening up sales completely”

• OnePlus 2 set to launch in Q3 of this year

• Will initially have invites.

• “We're committed to maintaining razor-thin margins in order to give as much value as possible back to our users, and this drastically increases our risk.”

• Rumoured OnePlus Two specs:

• Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 processor

• 5.5in display with comparatively better resolution than the current-gen OnePlus One

• Android 5.0

• Dual SIM-card support

• 4GB RAM onboard

• MicroSD card support; for expanding internal storage

• 3300 mAh battery.

Oneplus Lite

Source 1: linustechtips.com/main/topic/351646-oneplus-lite/ OP: Coolkingler1

Source 2: ibtimes.co.uk

• One Plus is expected to launch a smartphone called OnePlus One Lite.

• An affordable alternative to the high-end OnePlus Two.

• Expected to feature updated technical specifications than the current-gen OnePlus One.

Google Project Fi - Google's Own Network Officially Launched

Source 1: linustechtips.com - google project fi googles own netwo OP: Ilikemacandpc

Source 2: theverge.com/2015/4/22/8467433/google-launches-mobile-service

• for now only available for Nexus 6 owners

• running on both Sprint and T-Mobile, intelligently switching between the two as well as Wifi based on whoever has better coverage in an area

• $20/month gets you talk, text, Wi-Fi tethering and international coverage in 120+ countries

• flat $10 per GB for data in the US and abroad!

• get credit for the full value of your unused data eg. if you go with 3GB for $30 and only use 1.4GB in the month, you get $16 back

• and if you go over, you only pay that same $10 per GB

• pay only for what you use

• requires a special SIM card for Project FI

• works on both existing Nexus 6 devices and new ones

• no family plans available

• no contract

• phone numbers “live in the cloud,” according to Google, meaning you can call and text from your laptop or tablet without your phone nearby

• calls can also seamlessly transition from Wi-Fi to LTE

• seems that they are using the combined Hangouts/Google Voice infrastructure to power Project FI

• sending out a small number of invites every week starting now

DOJ Could stop Comcast-Time Warner Merger for violating anti-trust laws

Source 1: linustechtips.com - doj could stop comcast time warner merg OP: Syntaxvgm

Source 2: bloomberg.com - u s antitrust lawyers said to be leaning against com

Source 3: wired.com/comcast-drops-bid-time… UPDATE bid has been dropped

• finally realizing that this merger could hurt consumer interests

• senior officials of the antitrust division were set to decide whether a federal lawsuit seeking to block the tie-up was necessary

• it is now being reported that Comcast has dropped its $45.2-billion bid on Time Warner in light of these developments

• “Today, we move on. Of course, we would have liked to bring our great products to new cities, but we structured this deal so that if the government didn’t agree, we could walk away“

• if the deal had gone through they would have controlled 30 percent of the market for payTV

• would have controlled more than 50 percent of the broadband internet market

• the Stop Mega Comcast group stated that this news is a great victory, and is a tremendous victory for consumers, competition, and innovation

• and it is all thanks to the hundreds of thousands of Americans who spoke out against it.

In 2017, Norway will be first country to shut down FM radio

Source 1: linustechtips.com - in 2017 norway will be first c OP: Lord Sparklebottom

Source 2: theverge.com/2015/4/19/8453165/norway-end-fm-radio-2017

Source 3: dn.no/meninger/debatt/2015/01/05/2156/Medier/dabtrollet-som-sprakk

Source 4: vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/radio/fm-nettet-slukkes-i-2017/a/23435672/

Source 5: radio.no/2015/04/norway-to-switch-off-fm-in-2017/

• getting rid of FM in favor of DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting)

• better audio quality, other functionality like showing information about the station you’re listening to and what song is playing

• dropping FM for DAB+ as the national standard on January 11, 2017

• first country to do so

• transition will cost Norway the equivalent of 1.3 billion USD (ten billion Kroner)

• 200,000 DAB radios will become useless as they don’t support DAB+

• advertising for the switch has already begun, with a logo that states “You get more radio in a digitalradio”

• speculated that the transition will be relatively easy in Norway as they are doing it regionally, may not be quite as simple in a region like the US

Google is deprecating the old Youtube API

Source 1: linustechtips.com - google to replace youtube api soon a OP: Alexgoeshigh

Source 2: support.google.com - 6098135?p=yt devicesupport&hl=en&rd=1

Source 3: neowin.net/news/youtube-will-stop-working-on-older-devices-this-may

• Google is announcing that the old Data API v2 is being deprecated in favor in a newer v3 version.

• Newer API offers better support for comments, captions and push notifications.

• Older devices that use the v2 API, such as Smart TVs, Android and Apple TVs, games consoles and iOS devices will no longer be able to stream YouTube content, until they are updated.

• Affected devices are Google TV version 3 and 4, any Apple device running something older than iOS 7, games consoles “without support for Adobe Flash or HTML5”.

• On iOS devices you’ll also be able to stream content via AirPlay.

Valve giving content creators the option to sell mods

Source 1: linustechtips.com/valve-giving-content-creators… OP: werto165

Source 2: steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent

• initiative was introduced yesterday

• pitched as a way to “support the people that made [the mods]”

• compensating these creators is a way to “inspire new modders to try their hand in creating new, higher quality items and experiences.”

• starting off with Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

• “can make cosmetic items, sound packs, custom skins, fancy houses, epic quests, entire new cities,” etc.

• “many more of your favorite Workshop games will support paid content in the coming weeks.”

• offering refunds for mods that are broken or “don’t work as promised” within 24 hours of your purchase

• seemed like a great boon to modders at first, but it was later discovered that creators only receive 25% of the revenue, which has outraged some consumers

• 75% is split between valve and the developer. Valve takes a 30% cut from every game sold so they will probably take the same amount from the 75%.

• You need to get $100 before you can withdraw the funds, so the modder must sell at least $400 worth of mods to take the money out.

• there is a lot of information coming out every hour on the topic, and probably some misinformation, so rather than give out any info here that could prove to be untrue in a few hours, we want everyone to go out, do your due diligence in research, and discuss it over on the forum

• Current petition against paid mods has 60k supporters. change.org

• Modder who decided to removed his mod from the store after the scheme launched (source = reddit) :

• “I was just contacted by Valve's lawyer. He stated that they will not remove the content unless "legally compelled to do so", and that they will make the file visible only to currently paid users. I am beside myself with anger right now as they try to tell me what I can do with my own content. The copyright situation with Art of the Catch is shades of grey, but in Arissa 2.0's case, it's black and white; that's 100% mine and Griefmyst's work, and I should be able to dictate its distribution if I so choose. Unbelievable.”

• People re-uploading free mods that they don’t own and asking money for them in the steam workshop is a big issue.

Gamers in UK showing a tendency of curbing pre-order habits

Source 1: linustechtips.com/pre-order-empire-the-consumer… OP: Linusinium

Source 2: mcvuk.com/pre-order…

• 20% of UK gamers have said they have either stopped pre-ordering or pre-order less games

Liberland - the new European nation that runs off of Bitcoin

Source 1: linustechtips.com - liberland the new european nation tha OP: Topwargamer

Source 2: cryptocoinsnews.com/welcome-liberland-bitcoin-national-currency/

Source 3: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberland

• nation was declared on April 13

• small piece of land between Croatia and Serbia

• unorthodox practices

• taxes are optional, no military, official currency is “all” cryptocurrencies (primary one is Bitcoin)

• requirements to become a citizen:

• “Have respect for other people and respect the opinions of others, regardless of their race, ethnicity, orientation, or religion”

• “Have respect for private ownership that is untouchable”

• “Do not have communist, nazi or another extremist past”

• “You were not punished for past criminal offenses”

• over 160,000 people have signed up to become residents, the land can only hold roughly 5,000

GTX 980 Metal & 980 Ti

Source 1: linustechtips.com - gtx 980 980 ti enhanced metal edition OP: Big Stroonz

Source 2: kitguru.net - nvidia to launch geforce gtx 980 ti next month geforce

Source 3: translate.google.com - translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev

• Nvidia has allegedly moved the GTX 980 Ti launch date to the 16th – 26th of May.

• Final specifications and price of the GTX 980 Ti are unknown.

• Rumoured 980 Ti Specs:

• 3072 stream processors

• 192 texture units

• 96 raster operations pipelines

• 384-bit memory interface

• 6GB of GDDR5

• Nvidia is also reportedly working on something called GeForce GTX 980 “metal enhanced version”. It is highly likely that this is based on a cut-down version of Nvidia’s GM200 GPU.

Low HBM yields may lead to limited supply of the AMD R9 390X

Source 1: linustechtips.com - there will be a limited supply of amd OP: Big Stroonz

Source 2: kitguru.net - sk hynix adds hbm dram into catalogue set to start mas

Source 3: kitguru.net - amd developers confirm radeon r9 380x with hbm memory

Source 4: tweaktown.com - amd radeon r9 390x rumored very short supply launch

Source 5: kitguru.net - supply of amd radeon r9 390 series may be constrained  ← USE THIS

• According to a report from TweakTown, there will not be enough memory available to fulfill AMD’s needs in the coming months.

• The first-generation HBM (HBM1) stacks four DRAM dies with two 128-bit channels per die on a base logic die using through silicon vias (TSV), which results into a memory device with a 1024-bit interface.

• Each HBM 4Hi stack is placed on an interposer next to the graphics processing unit, a process that has not been used for graphics cards before.

• Unclear whether yields of HBM memory is the only problem that affects availability of AMD’s Radeon R9 390s, or there is a combination of problems that involves HBM, usage of interposer, testing procedure of multi-die devices and so on.

• The new graphics processing unit from AMD reportedly packs 4096 stream processors/64 compute units, 256 texture mapping units and has a 4096-bit memory interface.

RAPID FIRE

Latest Apple Watch estimates: 3M sales, $2B revenue

Source 1: linustechtips.com/latest-apple-watch-estimates.... OP: Victorious Secret

Source 2: 9to5mac.com/apple-watch-sales-estimate

• estimated that the Edition variant sold 40,000 units for $500 million revenue

• estimated 1.8M Sport, 1.2M Steel sold

• Edition sold ~1% of overall units, ~25% overall revenue

• estimates by Think Big Analytics principal Carl Howe estimates gross margins on the Apple Watch to be in excess of 60%

iFixit: Apple Watch first impressions

Source 1: linustechtips.com/replacing-the-apple-watch's… OP: Victorious Secret

Source 2: arstechnica.com/ifixit-replacing-the-apple…

• battery, strap, and face easy to replace

• S1 chip is not, an “octopus” of cables is glued in with it and the silver cap is not a heat spread, but a “solid block of plasticky resin”

• overall repairability score of 5 out of 10

• lower than iPhone 6 (6 out of 10), higher than iPad Air 2 (2 out of 10), and Retina Macbook (1 out of 10)

Sony Announces Xperia Z4

Source 1: linustechtips.com/sony-announces… OP: tsk

Source 2: anandtech.com/sony-announces-the…

• announced on their Japanese site

• flagship for 2015

• Snapdragon 810, 32GB flash storage + MicroSDXC, 3GB RAM

• 2930 mAh battery

• 20.7MP rear camera

• Android 5.0 Lollipop

• sticking with 1080p screen

• IP65/IP68 rating for dust & water protection

AMD reveals Windows 10 will launch in late July

Source 1: linustechtips.com - amd reveals windows 10 will launch in la OP: Xsilentx

Source 2: theverge.com/2015/4/20/8456049/windows-10-launch-late-july-claims-amd

• While answering a question on inventory plans AMD CEO Lisa Su said:

• “With the Windows 10 launch at the end of July, we are watching sort of the impact of that on the back-to-school season, and expect that it might have a bit of a delay to the normal back-to-school season inventory build-up”

• Microsoft previously revealed that it’s planning to launch in the summer, but no firm date.

Steam users now have to spend $5 worth in purchases before they can add friends

Source 1: linustechtips.com - steam users now have to spend 5 worth in p OP: Daring

Source 2: support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3330-IAGK-7663

• cannot send friend invites, open group chat, vote on reviews or Greenlight, participate in the steam market, etc.

• huge stride against scammers that have been prevalent ever since in-game items have become such high-priced commodities

• You can put $5 in your wallet and spend it later.

• (LUKE) Maybe have an option that you have to turn off in order to get friend invites from people without purchases? What about the people playing on steam that just want to play stuff like TF2

Valve giving content creators the option to sell mods

Source 1: linustechtips.com/valve-giving-content-creators… OP: werto165

Source 2: steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent

• initiative was introduced yesterday

• pitched as a way to “support the people that made [the mods]”

• compensating these creators is a way to “inspire new modders to try their hand in creating new, higher quality items and experiences.”

• starting off with Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

• “can make cosmetic items, sound packs, custom skins, fancy houses, epic quests, entire new cities,” etc.

• “many more of your favorite Workshop games will support paid content in the coming weeks.”

• offering refunds for mods that are broken or “don’t work as promised” within 24 hours of your purchase

• seemed like a great boon to modders at first, but it was later discovered that creators only receive 25% of the revenue, which has outraged some consumers

• 75% is split between valve and the developer. Valve takes a 30% cut from every game sold so they will probably take the same amount from the 75%.

• You need to get $100 before you can withdraw the funds, so the modder must sell at least $400 worth of mods to take the money out.

• there is a lot of information coming out every hour on the topic, and probably some misinformation, so rather than give out any info here that could prove to be untrue in a few hours, we want everyone to go out, do your due diligence in research, and discuss it over on the forum

• Current petition against paid mods has 60k supporters. change.org

• Modder who decided to removed his mod from the store after the scheme launched (source = reddit) :

• “I was just contacted by Valve's lawyer. He stated that they will not remove the content unless "legally compelled to do so", and that they will make the file visible only to currently paid users. I am beside myself with anger right now as they try to tell me what I can do with my own content. The copyright situation with Art of the Catch is shades of grey, but in Arissa 2.0's case, it's black and white; that's 100% mine and Griefmyst's work, and I should be able to dictate its distribution if I so choose. Unbelievable.”

• People re-uploading free mods that they don’t own and asking money for them in the steam workshop is a big issue.

•  

BTW, there's a lot of free mods & cheats for any game you just need to know where to look!

BTW, Nivida needs to make a 960ti not GTX 980 Metal & 980 Ti or make the 970 75$ cheaper!

Totally agree, iknow Gigabyte release a 4GB 960 but it isn't that much better then the 2GB version. I think Nvidia should rather make a 960Ti.

Wow, what? Now I want to go to Liberland! Their coat of arms looks so awesome, and their motto is even cool "Žít a nechat žít"!

(might apply for citizen just because haha)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Most of the big companies like Google and Microsoft are trying new things this year, but i don't think that it will get the people attention so much. 

Also, what's wrong with smartphones in this year? Most of them have the same Chipset and RAM and the only difference is the battery and the style.

I have few questions here:

Why is USB-C taking so long to be launched? (I mean the current USB connector is causing a lot of problems especially the micro USB) Also, When is the estimate time to see it widely spread?

And in Norway What is going to happen to the Radio towers?  :D

Why don't linus use linux for the server instead of the windows 8 or server?

I kinda agree with what Linus brought up about phone storage. I just want a phone with all internal storage (Thanks Apple and Samsung for starting this) for a couple of reasons (and I hope we get tablets as well)

1) Some phone apps refuses to work properly with SD cards (Most notably Comixology and Hearthstone on Android for me personally) so that storage is not usable at all.

2) I once lost all photos from one weekend to a bad microSD card. And given that I store more than just photos on my SD cards (I have quite a bit of music on there), switching SD cards isn't really an option

Rergarding radio and FM, your take on it is cause radio is not important to you.
FM absolutely sucks, and you don't realize it cause you live in Vancouver.
I'm sure a i7-860 is "good enough" for you Linus?

I kinda agree with what Linus brought up about phone storage. I just want a phone with all internal storage (Thanks Apple and Samsung for starting this) for a couple of reasons (and I hope we get tablets as well)

For a long ass time I thought expandable storage was absolutely necessary.  But then I started storing photos on Dropbox, anime on my NAS so I could watch it on whatever device at home, and using as much FLAC as possible so I could convert it to 128k AAC on my phone.

I think LTE really changed the landscape more than people give it credit for.  It made all of these streaming and cloud storage services much more viable than with HSPA+.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Dude what? Linus talking about their new server setup got my mouth all foamy. I wish they'd make videos of that. Part of the reason I watch his videos his videos are these insane setups. I know they're growing, but its pretty crazy for a normal person like me lol. I'd really love to see these badass servers and new workplace.

I think Apple adopted USB Type-C because they basically funded and helped make it.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/14/apple-invent-usb-type-c/

Still, its unusual for them not to stick to their own standards.

Um... no. Apple didn't invent and didn't really fund it. They may have provided a few engineers to help with it.

It is typical however for them to take credit for something that isn't theirs. They are just the first company to release a computer with a type-c port. 

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

Instead of having to pay for mods upfront, you could download them for free and then a week later a pop up asked if you would like to pay/donate as much (or little) as you want based on how you value the mod and money is split say 60, 30, 10 between the modders, devs and valve, respectively.

You could then see the ratio of people (past that payment message) who chose to donate and the average amount paid. Would make a good way of quantifying the quality of the mods.

I understand Linus's point of view and it's basically what Totalbiscuit stated; however, your comparison to how content creators operate on Youtube isn't exactly the same thing. You don't ask for money from each and every individual viewer who watches one of your videos; on the other hand, the paid mod system is exactly like that. Sites like Nexusmods and Moddb has the donate option which is much better. I've modded games before (Mount and Blade: Warband) and it is very time consuming, but it's also a lot of fun. I understand that if modders can make a living doing what they enjoy, they can invest more time and produce better mods. But I also think that whenever money is involved with any works of passion, it has a good potential of ruining it: people will be worried about others stealing their work; people will exploit customers; people focus more on money instead of their passion. Anyways, just my thoughts on it.

End of video

"Show's over, we can make out now"

vnlYh26.jpg

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch