IPS Monitor vs. IPS TV

Hey guys, so I need some on advice on what type of display to spend my money on.

It’s either between the LG 34UM95 MONITOR or the LG 42LB6300 TELEVISION.

LG 34UM95 MONITOR: http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM95-P-ultrawide-monitor

LG 42LB6300: http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-42LB6300-led-tv

The main devices I will be using are my Retina Macbook Pro and my PS4/PS3.

This is the spec sheet of my MacBook: https://support.apple.com/kb/sp653?locale=en_US

They both have IPS panels, which is one of the main features I really want.

Here are my uses:

Gaming on PS4, PS3, and a little bit of Xbox 360. I might use my 2012 Retina Macbook Pro 15 inch with the monitor to try and run Final Fantasy XIV ARR on the 3440x1440 display, if that’s the one I purchase.

On my MacBook I will be using software such as Photoshop, Unreal Engine 4, AutoDesk Maya, Final Cut, GarageBand, Photoshop, etc. Note that I don’t use any of these professionally, just as a hobby and for fun projects.

I am a college student, so there is that whole “I need infinite amount of MS Office space” scenario that comes up every now and then :P

I’ve been looking into both of these products for like the past 2 months now, and it’s like every time I go online to do a bit more research my opinion switches as to which one I should buy. One really important thing that I did realize is that the spec sheet for the MacBook says that it only supports an external display output of “2560 by 1600” so even if I get the LG UltraWide, I may not even be able to experience the “Full Beauty” of it.

In terms of what my actual “desk” setup is, that just depends on what product I buy. If I get the TV, then my old 36 inch Plasma Visio TV will just get replaced (which is currently just sitting on a computer desk as a make shift TV trolley). If I get the LG 34UM95 display, then I’ll just rearrange my room to where I’ll have the New 34um95 display on the actual computer desk, and then bring in a cheap TV trolley and stick the Visio TV next to my computer desk.

I guess I’m kind of at the point where I just want the screen to look good, provide good performance while gaming (regardless of black bars or not) and be a legitimately good display with the technology that is being advertised (for example if it says 60 Hz display, I expect it to be native not some software gimmick). I’m just exhausted from trying to compare “back lit” vs “edge lit” vs “native refresh rates” vs “gimmicky software refresh rates” vs etc etc etc. And then it’s even harder because manufacturers sometimes list “manipulated specs” which I then have to go to 3rd party websites and then learn true specs from.

Sorry for the long read. But I thought I’d give the Forum a shot and see if I can get any outside opinions on the matter. Any input is appreciated. 

If you guys have any further questions please feel free to ask :)

Consoles don't support the 21:9 aspect ratio.

IMO a good 16:10 display like the ASUS PA248Q is a better option if you're going to be doing lots of vertically-oriented work like word docs and browsing. 21:9 is nice for content creation involving timelines, but other than that 16:10 is better for most types of work.

Consoles don't support the 21:9 aspect ratio.

IMO a good 16:10 display like the ASUS PA248Q is a better option if you're going to be doing lots of vertically-oriented work like word docs and browsing. 21:9 is nice for content creation involving timelines, but other than that 16:10 is better for most types of work.

i thought they discontinued 16:10

I use 2 1080p screens, one in landscape for general stuff and one in portrait for word doc. It's marvellous, don't rule it out!