Movin' from a Core2Quad Q8200.

Hello everyone, my name is brian, it's my first time here and i have a doubt for a very long time that i want you guys help me to solve.

i have a little old PC:

CPU: Core2Quad Q8200

RAM: 4GB DDR3  1333

Motherboard: MSI G41M-P26

HDD: 1tb WD caviar black

SSD: kingston 128gb

GPU: Nvidia GTS 450.

Monitor: LG 22" E2260

I want to upgrade my CPU and my motherboard, (and probably my RAM) but if is worth it to upgrade to a FX 6xxx and a new mobo (keeping the other components) or i just wait and upgrade them all. 

i mostly play League of legends (and i feel it's start to feel a little slow) and i want to play Resident evil 6, also i like to see HD movies, although i don't have problem with that.

PD: low budget :) and thank you :)

No, it's not worth upgrading to an FX 6-core. Get another 4GB RAM and a better GPU first, maybe an R9 270 or GTX 750 Ti/GTX 760. I would worry more about the CPU in the future, but for now I would suggest trying to overclock it given your motherboard could handle it and you have a decent cooler.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I wouldn't upgrade if it meant spreading my purchases over multiple years.  By the time you save enough for the next part, your newly upgraded low-mid range component (which the FX-6xxx series is) will be outdated.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

honestly, those core2quads are little speedbeasts for their age, i doubt an FX processor could beat them in single-core performance (been a while since i had a core2quad in my hands tho)

i guess your build is mostly fine as it is, and would suggest to add 4GB ram (try and find as similar to what you have as possible)

and upgrade that poor old GPU, i'd suggest getting either a 750Ti or a 960 depending on budget.

You can consider an FX 6 core a server CPU. It's not meant to play games. Upgrade your graphics card first, then later get an i3/ if you can afford it i5. I own an FX-6300 OC

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

You current CPU is faster than an FX 6***, so you'd be downgrading.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

League is a game that performs best when you have strong cores and high frequency. You'll see much, much better performance going Intel rather than AMD. Back when I had my overclocked i5 750, it would absolutely demolish my friend's P II x6 getting at least 4 times higher framerates. 

For a game like LoL, you would be better using a cpu that has a strong IPC so you should rather consider going for a i3-4160 or 4130 if you have a pretty tight budget. If you can go a little bit higher, a i5-4460 would be a good choice. With both, you could purchase a budget h97 motherboard and be fine.In terms, you should upgrade to 8 Gb of ram

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

-snip- 

PMSL

Looking at your motherboard's specs, its really weak for an LGA 775 motherboard, only supporting 4GB RAM, PCIe Gen 1 and having barely any overclocking room with a quad core. You could always buy a better motherboard that supports at least 8GB DDR3, but they aren't exactly cheap and boards that support 16GB DDR3 (4GB DDR2 sticks are really expensive still) aren't any better. Your CPU is still fine for gaming, but you really need a better motherboard.

PMSL

thank you very much for all your answers, i'll take your advices and move to a new motherboard, 

gracias desde venezuela :)

(thanks from venezuela)

thank you very much for all your answers, i'll take your advices and move to a new motherboard, 

gracias desde venezuela :)

(thanks from venezuela)

You should get an Intel CPU, but not because you'll get bad framerate on an FX6 in league of legends xD that's hilarious. I get around 200fps with my FX6/GTX 970 if I uncap it. Don't even worry about CPU for League it's one of the easiest games to run

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

You should get an Intel CPU, but not because you'll get bad framerate on an FX6 in league of legends xD that's hilarious. I get around 200fps with my FX6/GTX 970 if I uncap it. Don't even worry about CPU for League it's one of the easiest games to run

His CPU can run any current game, and a newer motherboard with support for more RAM and possibly an overclock makes the Q8200 worth keeping, its got a better IPC than any FX CPU to go with the fact that few games use more than 4 threads.

PMSL

His CPU can run any current game, and a newer motherboard with support for more RAM and possibly an overclock makes the Q8200 worth keeping, its got a better IPC than any FX CPU to go with the fact that few games use more than 4 threads.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/554/AMD_FX-Series_FX-6300_vs_Intel_Core_2_Quad_Q8200.html

"In single-threaded programs, the AMD FX-6300 is 4% faster. The performance advantage is application specific. In some of them this CPU could be up to 16% faster." FX isn't THAT bad. Just don't buy them for gaming, because they ARE NOT GAMING CPUs

When going clock for clock the FX 6300 will fall behind by a lot.

PMSL

When going clock for clock the FX 6300 will fall behind by a lot.

Yes, it has better IPC. But the Core 2 Quad can't go to as high of clock speeds, it kind've evens out in this case tbh, and there are games that support 6 threads. Still this isn't AMD vs Intel, AMD makes server CPUs. Upgrade the graphics card first then get an i5 or i3 eventually

well, new information, i can't find a decent motherboard on amazon or ebay (here is "mercadolibre"), too bad, btw, my motherboard suports up to 8gb, not 4.

well, new information, i can't find a decent motherboard on amazon or ebay (here is "mercadolibre"), too bad, btw, my motherboard suports up to 8gb, not 4.

MSI's website said 4GB.

PMSL

Hello everyone, my name is brian, it's my first time here and i have a doubt for a very long time that i want you guys help me to solve.

i have a little old PC:

CPU: Core2Quad Q8200

RAM: 4GB DDR3  1333

Motherboard: MSI G41M-P26

HDD: 1tb WD caviar black

SSD: kingston 128gb

GPU: Nvidia GTS 450.

Monitor: LG 22" E2260

I want to upgrade my CPU and my motherboard, (and probably my RAM) but if is worth it to upgrade to a FX 6xxx and a new mobo (keeping the other components) or i just wait and upgrade them all. 

i mostly play League of legends (and i feel it's start to feel a little slow) and i want to play Resident evil 6, also i like to see HD movies, although i don't have problem with that.

PD: low budget :) and thank you :)

I'd recommend an i3 build with a 270

Something like

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($103.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($41.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270 2GB DirectCU II Video Card  ($143.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $426.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-24 19:24 EDT-0400

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

200fps might seem fine, but the minimums are crucial in team fights. Having 400 fps on a stock 4690k and 40% gpu usage on my 7950 shows how much a fast cpu still bottlenecks in league. When I overclock to 4.4ghz, fps increased by 25%, to 500fps and gpu usage only went to around 60%.

200fps? omg...i play at 60fps medium setup.