Nexus owner Dark0ne taking payment from Valve for the Nexus in association with Payed Mods

The_Strict_Nein

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/33qcaj/the_experiment_has_failed_my_exit_from_the/cqnetu9

Yeah. Saying one thing, but doing another.

Modding is dead to me as an art. Not when people are thinking about the bottom line.

No matter what Dark0ne says, he is trying to pass off the Nexus as neutral on the issue but taking Caesar's Silver in the process.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Good read.

Man, I don't like what Valve is trying to do..

The whole thing about mods is that they are free. Now they are just DLC's..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Amount of money and where it's going to matters here.  If it's all being used to host the nexus site, would that change your mind?

Knee jerk reactions are rarely helpful, UNLESS they're Linus Lambo youtube cash money related .

People will still suck Gabe's fat one for this. 

Valve has taken mods, a labour of love, and turned them into paid DLC that has zero quality assurance. 

Good work fanboys. Your insistence that Valve was supreme let them build their monopoly on the marketplace. Good fucking job. You let them believe they can get away with this kind of shit. Reap what you sow. 

Valve definitely done goofed on this one... but have you seen the subreddit lately? They haaate GabeN now, its hillarious.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Amount of money and where it's going to matters here.  If it's all being used to host the nexus site, would that change your mind?

Knee jerk reactions are rarely helpful, UNLESS they're Linus Lambo youtube cash money related .

I'm calling the Dark0ne out for this, have deleted my mods from the Nexus, and once I get my affairs in order, deleting my nexus account.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Dark0ne excepting payment from Valve is the same as Mr Linus joining Vessel, don't ya think?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Valve definitely done goofed on this one... but have you seen the subreddit lately? They haaate GabeN now, its hillarious.

The only question is will their anger actually allow them to see how harmful Valve has been to the gaming community or will they just go back to the jerking in circular motions. 

Dark0ne excepting payment from Valve is the same as Linus joining Vessel, don't ya think?

Nope, it'd be more akin to Linus joining a cable network.

Exactly, and people need to stop coming up with differing examples that have nothing to do with the issue at hand. 

THIS IS ALL ON VALVE. Don't conflate it with other shit. Valve. Valve. 

Bethesda might have proposed it, but who accepted it? Who implemented it? Gabe. He wants more profits. He doesn't give a shit about YOU. Or me. Or any gamer.

I'm calling the Dark0ne out for this, have deleted my mods from the Nexus, and once I get my affairs in order, deleting my nexus account.

Okay, so I'm missing some concrete facts somewhere i guess.  Still I feel compelled to point out that this hasn't even been a day yet and think that emotional decisions are being made hastily, and that's never helped anyone, fixed anything or been the best course in my experience.  I'd change the permission right away on my mods though as a better precautionary step.

Good read.

Man, I don't like what Valve is trying to do..

The whole thing about mods is that they are free. Now they are just DLC's..

Frankly I don't mind the idea of paying for cool content, but the way this has gone is kind of ugly. The whole way through I was kind of grumpy, but then the fact that the modders got the smallest cut of the whole deal at 25% (!) killed it off entirely.

1. Overclock until the magic smoke comes out. 2. Modify until broken. 3. Fix and repeat.

4670k - 16GB - 290X - 1440p Freesync

I was just contacted by Valve's lawyer. He stated that they will not remove the content unless "legally compelled to do so", and that they will make the file visible only to currently paid users. I am beside myself with anger right now as they try to tell me what I can do with my own content. The copyright situation with Art of the Catch is shades of grey, but in Arissa 2.0's case, it's black and white; that's 100% mine and Griefmyst's work, and I should be able to dictate its distribution if I so choose. Unbelievable.

Praise GabeN, am I right? Disgusting fucking behaviour by them. Valve has no right to someones content like this. Oh god, if they get DCMA'd and lose safe harbour status, they will get fucked. 

Where do you plan on making your mods available to users? We can't let this scatter us into unreachable holes across the net.

1. Overclock until the magic smoke comes out. 2. Modify until broken. 3. Fix and repeat.

4670k - 16GB - 290X - 1440p Freesync

Well... Both get cuts from different companies and both make content free (Well dark0ne doesn't make the mods but hosts it for free)

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Valve is getting shittier every day, I think CSGO and DOTA 2 spoiled them.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Where do you plan on making your mods available to users? We can't let this scatter us into unreachable holes across the net.

Nope. Mods I spent 2 years working on will be gone from the Internet.

Burn it all down.

Praise GabeN, am I right? Disgusting fucking behaviour by them. Valve has no right to someones content like this. Oh god, if they get DCMA'd and lose safe harbour status, they will get fucked. 

Link?  That's crazy!  I've used Arissa and she the most complex and complete follower mod I've seen.  She beats out sofia in so many ways IMO.  I can't image the amount of work that just got taken away if this is as it seems.

Link?  That's crazy!  I've used Arissa and she the most complex and complete follower mod I've seen.  She beats out sofia in so many ways IMO.  I can't imaging the amount of work that just got taken away if this is as it seems.

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/33qcaj/the_experiment_has_failed_my_exit_from_the/

Bless Reddit, always coming through. Valve is screwing over the people they bribed to be a part of their program in the first place. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/33qcaj/the_experiment_has_failed_my_exit_from_the/

Bless Reddit, always coming through. Valve is screwing over the people they bribed to be a part of their program in the first place. 

Okay, so people that bought it on steam during this episode are getting some measure of protection.  Or it looks at least in part that way to me.  I'm going to hope (for the moment) that valves lawyers is buying time for GabeN to think about what to do to unwind this.  AKA calculate how much $$$ or pressure they will use to fix or force things.

Think there are 2 modders that might have interesting input as well.  ENB and pinup poser authors are both independent and I don't know why.  Perhaps they may have some sage advise/experience to share with other modders...

Burn it all down.

Sounds like a huge knee-jerk to me... Seems everyone is all "something bad happen so fuck everything!"

Alright, so there's a lot of bullshit happening for years with dlc and unpolished/unfinished games but do you still buy and play games?

Burn it all down.

So I get why you are mad at Valve, but why would you punish the people who enjoyed your mods by removing them from the internet? What about people who may want to use those mods in the future? 

I say have users have the option to make their mods free no matter what, as always was. But have a price limit on mods so people cant sell them for the price of a game, Like maybe make the max price for a mod like $2-5? And also limit how popular and big the mod is for it to be put for sale. For example a mod that just adds a few swords will not be eligible for sale. And the mod should require positive reviews.

People will still suck Gabe's fat one for this. 

Valve has taken mods, a labour of love, and turned them into paid DLC that has zero quality assurance. 

Good work fanboys. Your insistence that Valve was supreme let them build their monopoly on the marketplace. Good fucking job. You let them believe they can get away with this kind of shit. Reap what you sow. 

Well, they sure ain't fanboys anymore.

I can understand wanting to compensate mod developers for doing a good job, but paying upfront for mods is not the way to do it, especially when Valve and Bethesda are taking the lion's share from sales.