looking for a good 4k monitor for gaming

zacksr

im looking for a good 4k monitor that i can use for gaming at a good price, i really don't know much about the subject so i will appreciate any recommendation and tips.

TN: Samsung U28D590D, Asus PB287Q

IPS: Dell P2715Q, Acer B276HK YMJDPPRZ

These monitors are roughly $500 ~ $550

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

Samsung U28D590D - What I use and I love it!

CPU: Intel Core I7 4790k @ 4.0ghz MOBO: Asus z97-A GPU:  EVGA 970 SSC SLI  RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB 1866  PSU: Corsair HX850W STORAGE: Kingston SSD 120GB, 1TB WD, 500GB WD CASE: NZXT H440

The Dell P2715Q is the way to go. It has a far superior panel to all the 28" 4K options like the ASUS PB287Q and Samsung 28UD590D while staying in the same price range.

No review from Linus on it??

CPU: Intel Core I7 4790k @ 4.0ghz MOBO: Asus z97-A GPU:  EVGA 970 SSC SLI  RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB 1866  PSU: Corsair HX850W STORAGE: Kingston SSD 120GB, 1TB WD, 500GB WD CASE: NZXT H440

are the tn panels good ?

i heard mixed reviews on them 

are the tn panels good ?

i heard mixed reviews on them 

TN: Samsung U28D590D, Asus PB287Q

IPS: Dell P2715Q, Acer B276HK YMJDPPRZ

These monitors are roughly $500 ~ $550

Pretty much this, but avoid the samsung one, the asus one doesn't cost more (usually) and is better built.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Pretty much this, but avoid the samsung one, the asus one doesn't cost more (usually) and is better built.

Why avoid the the Samsung one xD I don't see why people bash this monitor...

thank you james x    for info very much appreciated 

a lot of people told me to stay clear of the tn panels, my friends tell me that it gets kind of yellowish on the side and i very picky i can notice even the tinny things.

a lot of people told me to stay clear of the tn panels, my friends tell me that it gets kind of yellowish on the side and i very picky i can notice even the tinny things.

Just get the Dell P2715Q, there's no reason to consider the ASUS or Samsung when there's an IPS monitor which is better in every way in same price range

Why avoid the the Samsung one xD I don't see why people bash this monitor...

It's not that the monitor is bad, but it really doesn't have a place with the pb287q around anymore. The pb287q uses the same panel, but has a superior stand, more built-in functionality and a vesa mount. At pretty much the same price, there's no reason to go for the samsung.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

but im reading the specs of the dell P2715Q and its says that is TN panel

Yeah you where rigth i was looking AT the wrong one

Hi there!!

I've been looking around for a couple of days and just before buying the Dell P2715Q, I've found the Asus PB279Q that a lot of people say is better.

What do you think guys??

Hi there!!

I've been looking around for a couple of days and just before buying the Dell P2715Q, I've found the Asus PB279Q that a lot of people say is better.

What do you think guys??

It's not really better, people just like ASUS. It does have some really basic built-in speakers if you need them, but that's about the only advantage. It has additional HDMI inputs, which are pretty useless since they only take up to 30Hz input. It also doesn't handle up-scaling of lower resolutions very well, if you decide to run any games at a lower resolution for better performance. If the ASUS is cheaper then it's a decent option, but otherwise the Dell is probably a slightly better choice.

It's not really better, people just like ASUS. It does have some really basic built-in speakers if you need them, but that's about the only advantage. It has additional HDMI inputs, which are pretty useless since they only take up to 30Hz input. It also doesn't handle up-scaling of lower resolutions very well, if you decide to run any games at a lower resolution for better performance. If the ASUS is cheaper then it's a decent option, but otherwise the Dell is probably a slightly better choice.

Hi, thanks for aswering.

While I prefer Dell, there are some interesting points to bring up here.

Dell vs Asus

99% sRGB vs 100% sRGB

8 bit?? vs 10-bit color

350cd/m vs 300 cd/m

2M:1 (CDR) vs 100M:1 (ASCR)

9ms vs 5ms (grey to grey response time)

IPS vs IPS

1000:1 both (Contrast Ratio)

1.07Billion colors both

I think I still prefer the Dell but just saying that the 9ms response time is a great drawback. It hast a fast mode (6ms) that I have no idea how works.

Are we expecting any better/new monitors soon??

Thanks

PD: Looks like the Dell HDMI 1.4 supports only 30 hz. No idea about the ASUS.

Hi, thanks for aswering.

Dell vs Asus

99% sRGB vs 100% sRGB

8 bit?? vs 10-bit color

350cd/m vs 300 cd/m

IPS vs IPS

1000:1 both (Contrast Ratio)

1.07Billion colors both

I think I still prefer the Dell but just saying.

Thanks

The 10 bit colour doesn't matter- unless you are using a quadro GPU, you won't be able to drive all those colours. I also can vouch for Dell's great customer service, and their monitors come very well calibrated straight out of the box. Just something to think about. 

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

Hi, thanks for aswering.

Dell vs Asus

99% sRGB vs 100% sRGB

8 bit?? vs 10-bit color

350cd/m vs 300 cd/m

IPS vs IPS

1000:1 both (Contrast Ratio)

1.07Billion colors both

I think I still prefer the Dell but just saying that the 9ms response time is a great drawback. It hast a fast mode (6ms) that I have no idea how works.

Thanks

All of these are very minor points.

99% vs 100% sRGB is extremely minor and not noticeable.

Both monitors support 10-bit color (1.07B colors) not just the ASUS, but again this doesn't matter to the average user.

Both monitors are HDMI 1.4

Dynamic Contrast Ratio (CDR/ASCR) and response time are both basically meaningless, just read my FAQ at the top of this section for a more detailed answer.