Skylake CPU's leaked with specs

I understand this:

i7-4790K 4Ghz base, 4.4Ghz boost, 88watt

i7-6700k 4Ghz base, 4.2Ghz boost, 95watt

How does that work lol ?!

And why lower the boost clock (were there any issues with refreshed haswell chip ?)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Why even release broadwell -.-?

For lower power consumption on mobile chips and better iGpu performance.

But this skylake looks on the paper like another line of haswell chips. Nothing worth upgrading to.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

It may be time to upgrade from z77, but these specs aren't exactly mind blowing....

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

On what planet are basic specs considered, when buying a CPU?

That chart shows just clock speed, cache and TDP...so we can't know what architectural improvements have been made.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

I understand this:

And why lower the boost clock (were there any issues with refreshed haswell chip ?)

Core i7-4770K  3.5 GHz base, 3.9 GHz boost, 88W TDP.

The 4790K was just shoved in there to fill the gap when Broadwell got delayed.

I understand this:

Higher TDP should allow for better overclocking. The Haswell chips have been notoriously reluctant to overclock like Sandy did. 

I don't know why they lowered the boost clock. I see no reason that Skylake shouldn't be able to hit 4.4 GHz reliably.

That's true, it's no fault of intel's if IPC hasn't improved much - but at the same time, thermal and size improvements should allow for more cores in the same die. Intel is currently filling that space with better igpus, which may make sense in i3s, but are pointless in i7s (more powerful ones are, of course some sort of igpu needs to be in there). I doubt manufacturing a 5960x costs them a lot more than manufacturing an i7 2600k did, so at least 6-cores should probably be a thing by now. Instead  content producers who want a significant upgrade need to step up to the x99 platform, with all the extra expenses it carries.

I too would love to have seen a 6-core i7 that isn't an enthusiast CPU but it's just not necessary yet. Plus you can buy the 5820K for only $40 more than the 4790K. Intel is probably figuring (and correctly so IMO) that anyone who wants or needs more than 4 physical cores with hyperthreading is also interested in the enthusiast chipset and have a discrete GPU in their system.

Most games today are limited either by the GPU or by lack of multi-threading. Going above an i5 is still unnecessary for the majority of users and in most cases will perform identical to the i7 in gaming. Those who need more processing power for other things than games will already be looking at the enthusiast line or Xeons.

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

On what planet are basic specs considered, when buying a CPU?

That chart shows just clock speed, cache and TDP...so we can't know what architectural improvements have been made.

True story. 

So many armchair experts drawing conclusions from that chart. Complaining about IPC, about no six core and the iGPU.

My advice, go buy the 5820K.

I for one am looking forward to the LGA-1151 chipset and the improvements it brings.

Looks like another skip. Intel haven't done a thing since sandy bridge that I care about, other than replacing the soldered IHS with toothpaste to save a few pennies and make temps far worse. Wish I never "upgraded" to a 4670K from my 2500K, what a complete waste of time and money.

There are some leaked benchmarks already if you google around.

Oooh it has slightly higher numbers in cinebench yet performs exactly the same in every game! Look at me crawling my way to the counter to buy one! /sarchasm

Why such low base clocks? I get that they will have better ipc etc. but even my 4440 has a higher clock speed (which is also quite important)

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

I'm liking the turbo of the 6700. Pretty good for a chip that you can theoretically run fine off a stock cooler.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

My 3570K is still good. I'm thinking I'll run out of features(USB/PCIe/sata/etc) before I actually have to replace the chip xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I remember upgrading from an i7 920 cpu to my current i7 4770k I had that processor for like 5 years plus. And it still ran games maxed out years after with decent GPU. CPU leaps are nothing to write about and put in your last will and testament tbh. I reckon anywhere between 10% to 20% increase over Haswell. Even from my i7 4770k. Might as well keep my current CPU. But until the processors are released to the general public and benchmarks are done we will have to wait and c. Anyone upgrading from 920 etc or i7 2500k generation it will be a very good improvement in performance.

Anyone on Haswell might as well save your money and upgrade something else. This is my personal option from years of waiting for new cpu's.

Even with lets say for example its a 20% increase in performance. That's good and all but how does that play when it comes to gaming. I will tell you, you will not see an 20% increase in peformance in games maybe an extra 5%, in most games with a heavily GPU based. Better performance for MMO online games and games like Planetside 2, which you might get a good 15% increase in FPS because them games are heavily CPU bound.

All in all when they are released and your after a new build then sure get this you will properly love it. Anyone on Haswell well it depends on the person. Will it worth the upgrade that's the big question to ask yourself. :)

Of course this is just based on previous generations of CPU which intel have released over the years and nothing is certain so take my option as just a theory for now.

As long as Intel's quad-cores are competitive against AMDs top FX processors, Intel can reserve 6+ cores for the enthusiast platform for a nice upsell.

this is exactly what intel wants if you dont want iGPU move up to enthusiast grade hardware. just have to hope AMD has something to push intel forward

Which is exactly what I said earlier.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

According to the source above, the skylake processors are nothing spectacular.

Higher clock speed does not mean it's faster :) nor core count does :D

LOOK at AMD they have 8 CORE 5 GHZ CPU which is slower then 3.4-3.9 GHZ 4 core i7 3770  LOL

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

That's true, it's no fault of intel's if IPC hasn't improved much - but at the same time, thermal and size improvements should allow for more cores in the same die. Intel is currently filling that space with better igpus, which may make sense in i3s, but are pointless in i7s (more powerful ones are, of course some sort of igpu needs to be in there). I doubt manufacturing a 5960x costs them a lot more than manufacturing an i7 2600k did, so at least 6-cores should probably be a thing by now. Instead content producers who want a significant upgrade need to step up to the x99 platform, with all the extra expenses it carries.

IPC is ans is not Intel's fault. For SIMD instructions it's gotten much faster since SB. Legacy code stuck in SISD mode because no one will compile with attributes is the problem of developers.

Where do you see more cores being used outside professional software, much less saturated? Intel will provide more cores when there's an actual need and demand for them.

Actually the iGPU makes far more sense for content developers. Heterogeneous accelerations trumps more raw CPU cores. You, like many people here, are far too narrow-minded when it comes to Intel's and AMD's strategies and pushes for heterogeneous compute.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

IPC is ans is not Intel's fault. For SIMD instructions it's gotten much faster since SB. Legacy code stuck in SISD mode because no one will compile with attributes is the problem of developers.

Where do you see more cores being used outside professional software, much less saturated? Intel will provide more cores when there's an actual need and demand for them.

Actually the iGPU makes far more sense for content developers. Heterogeneous accelerations trumps more raw CPU cores. You, like many people here, are far too narrow-minded when it comes to Intel's and AMD's strategies and pushes for heterogeneous compute.

Of course content creation software is the only one that would benefit from more cores, but at the same time, where else do we need improvements? Games don't benefit as much from cpus after a certain point, because they tax the gpu more, and on top of that more cores don't exclude SIMD performance improvements.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I remember upgrading from an i7 920 cpu to my current i7 4770k I had that processor for like 5 years plus. And it still ran games maxed out years after with decent GPU. CPU leaps are nothing to write about and put in your last will and testament tbh. I reckon anywhere between 10% to 20% increase over Haswell. Even from my i7 4770k. Might as well keep my current CPU. But until the processors are released to the general public and benchmarks are done we will have to wait and c. Anyone upgrading from 920 etc or i7 2500k generation it will be a very good improvement in performance.

Anyone on Haswell might as well save your money and upgrade something else. This is my personal option from years of waiting for new cpu's.

Even with lets say for example its a 20% increase in performance. That's good and all but how does that play when it comes to gaming. I will tell you, you will not see an 20% increase in peformance in games maybe an extra 5%, in most games with a heavily GPU based. Better performance for MMO online games and games like Planetside 2, which you might get a good 15% increase in FPS because them games are heavily CPU bound.

All in all when they are released and your after a new build then sure get this you will properly love it. Anyone on Haswell well it depends on the person. Will it worth the upgrade that's the big question to ask yourself. :)

Of course this is just based on previous generations of CPU which intel have released over the years and nothing is certain so take my option as just a theory for now.

20% wouldn't be something to sneeze at for people running CF/SLI 1080p 120 Hz systems though, since they'd often be CPU bound in that scenario.

According to the source above, the skylake processors are nothing spectacular.

Specs dont tell everything because if specs told everything. Its a new architecture and therefore different performance. It should'nt be too significant but still. And, I dont know what you are expecting. Cpu are not going to get a lot better from a day to another. It probably takes a lot of R&D to get that little performance boost

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Of course content creation software is the only one that would benefit from more cores, but at the same time, where else do we need improvements? Games don't benefit as much from cpus after a certain point, because they tax the gpu more, and on top of that more cores don't exclude SIMD performance improvements.

I don't know, games (especially new games) have LOTS of tasks that can be threaded (maybe not multi-threaded, but off-loaded into other threads) allowing the entire workload per frame to get completed quicker. The main problem with multi-threading games is synching it all up to be drawn at the end. Luckily DX12 should help alleviate some of that.

As usual, S means Slow and T means Terrible. :P

(low-power and very low-power versions, with lower clocks)

They would be very suitable for HTPC's and basic workstations because a quad core at that tdp is pretty amazing and the performance is probably not something to snort at too much either. Plus, are you expecting everyone that buys a new cpu to be gaming or doing really intensive stuff. Probably most people have very simple and basic needs for their pc's. So basicly what I am saying is drop your hammer, we dont need it

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Luckily DX12 should help alleviate some of that.

Let's hope developers actually use the new features

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's great that they're able to get a higher base clock and boost clock with the same TDP.

Core i7 4790K has a base clock of 4GHz and can turbo up to 4.4GHz with a TDP of 88w. The Core i7 6700K has a base clock of 4GHz, but can only turbo boost up to 4.2GHz and has a TDP of 95w.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

not impressed at all.. seems my 4790k is gonna have a VERY long life

I don't know what you were expecting. Most people running Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge wouldn't get much real benefit from moving to Haswell.

Idk why so many people are complaining about iGPUs. They are so helpful when it comes to troubleshooting.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Another tick in Intel's tick/tock cycle. We can expect ~5-10% increase in performance at best. I guess the real news for Skylake is the iGPU.