Skylake CPU's leaked with specs

OPffmhP.jpg

Ten Skylake CPU's just leaked with specs that give us a clear insight in the new line-up. They will require the new LGA 1551 socket, so if you want Skylake, you'll need to buy a new motherboard.

The chart is taken from SweClockers:

gJORzIT.png

Perhaps the most interesting addition to the unlocked is the Core i7-6700T, who despite 35W TDP has a base frequency of 2.8 GHz with the possibility of stepping up to 3.6 GHz. This compares to today's Haswell-based counterpart Core i7-4785T which is more modest 2.2 and 3.2 GHz.

Translated from Swedish via Google Translate

Skylake for desktops and laptops are expected to be released in Q3 2015 

Source: http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/20399-tio-modeller-av-intel-skylake-for-lga-1151-hittar-ut-pa-natet

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

Why even release broadwell -.-?

According to the source above, the skylake processors are nothing spectacular.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

It's great that they're able to get a higher base clock and boost clock with the same TDP.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

DAMNNNNN :o

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Cos Skylake is a Tock, same process node, new architecture.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Dude, clock speeds are only one part of performance.  We won't actually know how good they are until we get real benchmarks.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Nothing very insteresting or unexpected unfortunately... I was really hoping for a z170 6-core option, but at the same I didn't really believe it would happen.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Dude, clock speeds are only one part of performance.  We won't actually know how good they are until we get real benchmarks.

You're right, but my money is on the usual 10% average increment. No extra cache, no higher clock speeds, and no rumors have indicated a dramatically better ipc (in fact according to Intel they are about to hit the physical limits of silicon, so expecting a higher ipc without moving to graphene is a long shot).

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You're right, but my money is on the usual 10% average increment. No extra cache, no higher clock speeds, and no rumors have indicated a dramatically better ipc (in fact according to Intel they are about to hit the physical limits of silicon, so expecting a higher ipc without moving to graphene is a long shot).

yeah, you are probably right.  And with no real pressure from AMD, Intel can probably afford to slow things down a bit.  But there is always a lot of room for ipc improvements just with architectural innovations, even if the sizing stays the same.  

Makes you wonder how soon they will move to a completely new technology, like graphene or whatever they have up their sleeve.  They have said they do have a plan to move beyond silicon.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

What does the T stand for now?

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

not impressed at all.. seems my 4790k is gonna have a VERY long life

Processor: Intel i7 4790k @ 4.6GHz w/ 1.27v | Gpu: ASUS GTX 980Ti Strix | MoBo: ASUS Maximus Gene VII | Ram: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz | Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D | PSU: Corsair AX860i | Cooling: Corsair H100i + 4 Corsair SP 120mm fans | Keyboard: Logitech K800 | Mouse: Logitech Anywhere | Storage (OS):Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Mass storage: WD Green 2TB + WD Blue 500GB + 1TB | Monitor: ASUS PB27Q  | Sound: Edifier C11 + Sennheiser RS 175

yeah, you are probably right.  And with no real pressure from AMD, Intel can probably afford to slow things down a bit.  But there is always a lot of room for ipc improvements just with architectural innovations, even if the sizing stays the same.  

Makes you wonder how soon they will move to a completely new technology, like graphene or whatever they have up their sleeve.  They have said they do have a plan to move beyond silicon.

Intel was saying 2017 for graphene iirc, amd has ONE shot at making their silicon work.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Intel was saying 2017 for graphene iirc, amd has ONE shot at making their silicon work.

wow that's cool.

I sincerely hope AMD can pull something off.  If not, it could be a while before another major competitor enters the market.

PC Build

Desk Build

wow that's cool.

I sincerely hope AMD can pull something off.  If not, it could be a while before another major competitor enters the market.

Yeah, me too. We really need intel and nvidia to have strong competition, otherwise they'll get complacent. Intel has increased performance by about 25% in 4 years, and that's NOT the way it used to be.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Although I was really hoping for a 6 core option, the 6700K looks promising. I can't wait to see what the IPC improvement is. I'm upgrading from a 2500K so it's going to be a decent step up regardless.

It's for very low power CPUs.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

wow that's cool.

If AMD dies it will take a company like apple, microsoft, google to force the market forward.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Where did you get that from? Leaking benchmarks are showing a 15% increase in performance over Haswell.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Yeah, me too. We really need intel and nvidia to have strong competition, otherwise they'll get complacent. Intel has increased performance by about 25% in 4 years, and that's NOT the way it used to be.

That's hardly fair given we're grinding aganst the physical limits of silicon switching speeds at high temperatures. If you look back all the IPC gains were small and paired with moderate to large clock speed gains. That era is over and it's not Intel's fault. IBM is fairing no better.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

As usual, S means Slow and T means Terrible. :P

(low-power and very low-power versions, with lower clocks)

That's hardly fair given we're grinding aganst the physical limits of silicon switching speeds at high temperatures. If you look back all the IPC gains were small and paired with moderate to large clock speed gains. That era is over and it's not Intel's fault. IBM is fairing no better.

That's true, it's no fault of intel's if IPC hasn't improved much - but at the same time, thermal and size improvements should allow for more cores in the same die. Intel is currently filling that space with better igpus, which may make sense in i3s, but are pointless in i7s (more powerful ones are, of course some sort of igpu needs to be in there). I doubt manufacturing a 5960x costs them a lot more than manufacturing an i7 2600k did, so at least 6-cores should probably be a thing by now. Instead  content producers who want a significant upgrade need to step up to the x99 platform, with all the extra expenses it carries.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Broadwell is likely going to be a 14 nanometer die-shrink, with that added efficiency rumored to go towards simple power savings. I have no idea why they're releasing it on desktop, or if they are at all.

Skylake is using that same 14 nanometer process. But instead of leaving the TDP very low like Broadwell is rumored to, the chart shows them pumping 95 Watts through the K-series SKUs instead. That [very tentatively] suggests a high clock speed ceiling. Intel hasn't released a mainstream product with a 95 Watt TDP since Sandy Bridge, which was an excellent overclocker.

That's true, it's no fault of intel's if IPC hasn't improved much - but at the same time, thermal and size improvements should allow for more cores in the same die. Intel is currently filling that space with better igpus, which may make sense in i3s, but are pointless in i7s (more powerful ones are, of course some sort of igpu needs to be in there). I doubt manufacturing a 5960x costs them a lot more than manufacturing an i7 2600k did, so at least 6-cores should probably be a thing by now. Instead  content producers who want a significant upgrade need to step up to the x99 platform, with all the extra expenses it carries.

As long as Intel's quad-cores are competitive against AMDs top FX processors, Intel can reserve 6+ cores for the enthusiast platform for a nice upsell.

this is exactly what intel wants if you dont want iGPU move up to enthusiast grade hardware. just have to hope AMD has something to push intel forward

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85