new ASUS ROG G501JW-DS71 Gaming Laptop

denniS_redbeast

Awesome.. Manufacturers pairing a GTX 960m and 4k is getting real old though, this will be a mobile workstation and not a gaming laptop

Some of the ROG laptops are ripp offs, for the same price and with the same specs (plus a touch screen) you can get a standard consumer version of their gaming laptops. Which is better in a few ways, and the same in all others.
Edit: Looking at newegg, that's the exact laptop I'm talking about (saw it at JBHfi, and the physical build quality of the screen doesn't look that good).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

How is this a direct competitor for the razor blade? it's bigger, no touchscreen and less powerfull gpu... Only thing that's similar is the price tag

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

Why can't everyone use names that are easier to remember.... like ROGbook or something. 

How is this a direct competitor for the razor blade? it's bigger, no touchscreen and less powerfull gpu... Only thing that's similar is the price tag

The normal version for the same specs and price is the one with the touchscreen.

PMSL

4k with a 960m why O god why?

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

4k with a 960m why O god why?

That's a disturbing trend: Virtually all high end laptops feel like they need to include a 4k display even if there isn't a single mobile GPU (or dual gpus for that matter) that can hope to drive it for gaming, meaning that it will never get utilized (Yeah have fun watching 2 shows on Netflix on 4k and maybe the occasional 4k video on youtube and that's about it)

-------

Current Rig

-------

That's a disturbing trend: Virtually all high end laptops feel like they need to include a 4k display even if there isn't a single mobile GPU (or dual gpus for that matter) that can hope to drive it for gaming, meaning that it will never get utilized (Yeah have fun watching 2 shows on Netflix on 4k and maybe the occasional 4k video on youtube and that's about it)

Agreed but I begs the question why not a more powerful GPU and a lesser screen 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

It's difficult to fit a more powerful GPU within the constrains of a laptop's form factor and battery. 1080p screens however would work a lot better. I suppose you could just downscale but again, it feels like a waste since neither the content nor the games are 4k ready.

-------

Current Rig

-------

if only it was 13"

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Some of the ROG laptops are ripp offs, for the same price and with the same specs (plus a touch screen) you can get a standard consumer version of their gaming laptops. Which is better in a few ways, and the same in all others.

Edit: Looking at newegg, that's the exact laptop I'm talking about (saw it at JBHfi, and the physical build quality of the screen doesn't look that good).

Their standard consumer version is actually more expensive.

Asus UX501.

Nvm. It's $2000 as well.

http://store.asus.com/us/item/201504AM250000011/A17602

It has pretty much the same specs, just different looks. Better IMO.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Their standard consumer version is actually more expensive.

Asus UX501.

Nvm. It's $2000 as well.

http://store.asus.com/us/item/201504AM250000011/A17602

It has pretty much the same specs, just different looks. Better IMO.

This is the only real difference: 

• 15.6-inch 10-point touchscreen IPS 4K UHD display

PMSL

Adding a 4k screen doesn't take any extra effort while cramming in another gpu or figuring out thermal issues for a more powerful gpu is a lot harder. You get a 4k screen for normal every day use and then when you want to game you change your resolution to 1080 or 1440.