Razer Kraken Pro Review

MblaZe7run

Hey guys, just thought I would get my toes a little wet with doing a user review. So here it is, a Razer Kraken Pro user review! :D (Full technical specs can be found on Razer’s website.)

Preface:

I was browsing Best Buy yesterday with money burning a hole in my pocket. I came across the “gaming” section, and saw these ugly, snot green headphones laying around. I’ve tried them on a few times, and I remembered them being fairly comfortable, so I decided to pull the trigger. Before running to the register, I pulled out my phone, and promptly said “Ok, Google,” followed by “Price check on Razer Kraken Pro” to find the cheapest price I could match. I walked out of the store with the headphones for about $45 USD (full retail $79)

Build Quality:

Overall, I’ve noticed that Razer seems to have some pretty nice build quality for their devices. I’m typing this review on their Black Widow Ultimate 2013 edition that I got, well, in 2013. (We’ll leave that story for another time.) The headphones have a moderately tactile adjust on the arms of the headphones, and they stay in the position I lock them in very well. They also sport a seemingly useless hinge on the arms. I’ve been trying to figure out how these things are supposed to fold up properly, but when I close them both, a very light jerk causes the cans to fall back into place. The frame seems quite durable as well, withstanding twisting and bending (while not trying to break it at least). Luckily, most people aren’t trying to turn their headphones into a helix, so we should be safe there. The microphone also retracts nicely into the left ear cup. I can only assume that it bends to wrap around the circular cup, as it extends to about five inches from the base, then closes to be nearly flush with that ear piece. Both cups feature X and Z axis swivel (is that even the right terminology? Oh well, that’s what I’m using), which aid in them sitting properly on your head.

Accessories:

These seem to be lacking. In addition the non-removable 3.5mm, 4-pole, 90 degree audio cable (about 4.5 ft in length), you get a roughly 6.5 foot extension cable that breaks the headphone 3-pole 3.5mm connector and 3.5mm microphone connector. After that, the only other things are the product information, warranty, user guide, and “Welcome to the cult of Razer” bullsh*t that you find with every Razer product.

Sound quality:

Well, to put it lightly, these buggers are bass cannons. The bass is pretty nice. They sound about spot on with my Pioneer HDJ-1000 Limited headphones that I use for my daily audio drivers. They isolate noise mildly well. With volume relatively low, I can still notice some HDD activity from my computer about 3 feet away, and when I ramp my fans up, those are more than audible (and they are barely audible while kept at their lowest RPMs). The drivers themselves are 40mm drivers (10mm smaller than my Pioneers), frequency range is 20-20,000 Hz. They also have an impedance of 32 ohms. The impedance and frequency range appear to be pretty much standard from what I can remember from other headphones I’ve looked up in the past. Back to the actual sound quality itself, as I said, they are bass heavy. Mids and highs almost seem washed out from some of the music I’ve listened to, and YouTube videos I’ve watched. You can still hear the mids and highs clearly, but playing with an equalizer easily remedied these complaints.

Microphone Quality:

There’s not much to say here. Most of us agree that, where applicable, you should use a standalone microphone. The integrated microphone gets the job done. Doing a little self-test with a Fraps recording (because nobody wanted to let me call them on Skype :(), it worked fine. You could clearly hear what I was saying (which was pretty much just some random crap, trying to get as many “p” and “s” sounds in as I could), and the pops and sizzles (that’s what I call the “s” sounds, let me know if there is a technical name for that as well) plosives and sibilants (Thanks to @Zah for the correction) were moderately well isolated. As far as sound quality, I can only say it is pretty good for being integrated. I do like how the mic retracts into the headphones instead of folding up, as it keeps it even more out of the way.

Overall Opinions:

They’re Razer headphones. Not many Razer products are all they’re cracked up to be. The audio is nice, it’s listenable, and I can’t complain too much, especially for the price I paid for them. At full price, I probably wouldn’t recommend them, but if you can get them for half off or more, I say they’re pretty damn good. I also HATE the 90 degree plug that they have, as it just doesn’t sit as well with my OCD as a straight plug would when connected to the adapter. I love, as I said before, how the microphone retracts. It makes the headphones a lot nicer to use for just everyday use when connected to a mobile media player. It’s also quite handy in the sense that you can just brace that ear cup, and pull the sucker out, and boom. You’re ready to answer that incoming call. They are also quite comfortable, weighing a little over half a pound. I’ve had them on for about five hours now, and I’m just barely starting to notice the strain on the top of my head, and on my ears. The cushion around the ear cups is also quite nice. Rather soft, but I’m not certain as to if it is memory foam or another material. The Razer green color, while expected from Razer, is also an eye-sore. Luckily, you can pick them up in white or black, so you aren’t restricted to green (not to mention the many other variants, such as the 7.1 Chroma edition).

Overall, I think I’ll rate them 7/10 as compared to other headphones I’ve used (which is a very small selection). Thanks for tuning into my very first user review guys, I hope it was well executed. Leave your feedback, opinions, and constructive criticism down as a reply below (and if it’s not too much of a hassle, include the area to be critiqued in a quote).

EDIT: Going to try to add glamor shots after the black model arrives. Oh, yeah. I returned the snot-green model and ordered the black model. Got it for even cheaper than the green ones! The new total is $35, including a 2-year warranty.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

No pictures?
What is this, college?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

No pictures?

What is this, college?

I'll likely add some later :P It's my first review, man. Cut me some slack! ;)

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

I'll likely add some later :P It's my first review, man. Cut me some slack! ;)

at this price range u whould rather get a m20x with mod mic who agrees??

I rather like mine, with a digital mic input dac the mic sounds sexy.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Forgot to mention these are so uncomfortable 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

I didn't find them that bad, actually. I even said that in my overall opinions. I had them on for several hours with minimal strain.

at this price range u whould rather get a m20x with mod mic who agrees??

Nobody, because you can't. The modmic costs more than what he got these for. 

OT: I have kraken pros, and they really seem flat now that I have shure se-215s. The bass is actually decent on the krakens, but everything felt very enclosed, and some music I listened to on them just sounded terrible. I'm not sure how they compare to other things in the price range, but they were pretty similar the my ath-m30s, which I got for $30. The mic on them is also slightly worse than my laptop mic, and then the mic just died.

You could clearly hear what I was saying (which was pretty much just some random crap, trying to get as many “p” and “s” sounds in as I could), and the pops and sizzles (that’s what I call the “s” sounds, let me know if there is a technical name for that as well) were moderately well isolated.

Plosives and sibilants, respectively.

Also I've never really liked Razer headsets, but nice review.

review is good :)

although ill give my input as well

i had these, let alone razer failed to send me a working pair (2 times, sent back the first broken pair, then they sent another broken pair) and either way i was not impressed AT ALL with the quality, they felt cheap and plastic and the felt and padding on them felt really bare let alone the sound wasnt really that great compared to past headphone experiences ive had.

also, they hurt like hell to wear, idk if im the only one that feels that way but they were super duper out of control uncomfortable for me, my head is normal, not weird shaped or anything. they felt really tight and after like a 10 minute session of playing csgo, i wanted to take them off already.

so overall, i cant recommend these

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I can agree, when I got ming a really long time ago, they were so uncomfortable I instantly bought something else.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

I tried them on for literally 5 seconds and thought OUCH. But then again... I have some uber Gemini HSR 1000's. SO good.

No pictures?

What is this, college?

Canucks are so lazy and point the finger so fast. ;)

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

Razer does blow a lot of smoke up our backsides with this is how gamers like it BS.. It must be there personal gaming staff. LOL Although I love my Carcharais . had some USB noise going through vent on my MSI z97 Gaming 5. Replaced the board with the Sabertooth z97 S . Perfect sound and mike . They also fit any size of head out there. No matter how BIG or small it is. Also it is not 100% plastic like other models that squeeze what peanuts you got out in that dome. :D

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

Overall, I’ve noticed that Razer seems to have some pretty nice build quality for their devices. 

Ermm.. but... oh... 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

I used to own a Kraken pro but i t broke after 2 years of intensive care ( left ear doesnt work anymore). I end up using my Steelseries siberia v2 again (7 years i guess). If you want a good and long lasting product you should never consider their mouse and headset  because i already replaced my Deathadder 2013 twice. (but i would really recommend their mechanical keyboards and mousepad). IMO 

“Your transformation is not a disease. You were just given the key to the door in front of you. There’s no need to know the cause. No need for sorrow or sadness. What comes next is up to you. You can use your keys to open the door… Or lock it tight. And if you do choose to open it… You can still decide not to pass through.” -Kisuke Urahara

Plosives and sibilants, respectively.

Also I've never really liked Razer headsets, but nice review.

Thanks you, I'll try to remember to edit those corrections in :D

review is good :)

although ill give my input as well

i had these, let alone razer failed to send me a working pair (2 times, sent back the first broken pair, then they sent another broken pair) and either way i was not impressed AT ALL with the quality, they felt cheap and plastic and the felt and padding on them felt really bare let alone the sound wasnt really that great compared to past headphone experiences ive had.

also, they hurt like hell to wear, idk if im the only one that feels that way but they were super duper out of control uncomfortable for me, my head is normal, not weird shaped or anything. they felt really tight and after like a 10 minute session of playing csgo, i wanted to take them off already.

so overall, i cant recommend these

I can agree, when I got ming a really long time ago, they were so uncomfortable I instantly bought something else.

I tried them on for literally 5 seconds and thought OUCH. But then again... I have some uber Gemini HSR 1000's. SO good.

I still don't think they're that uncomfortable. I've clocked another two, three hour sessions with these on, one of witch was me sleeping in a vehicle, and I still can't complain. I had my HDJ-1000 Limiteds on for about half an hour during the convention I attended, and those hurt like hell. The Kraken Pros though, they're easily one of the most comfortable "gaming" headsets I've used.

Ermm.. but... oh... 

Could you elaborate a little bit? If you doubt my statement, then all I can really say is what I said before. From what I've seen, the build quality of their devices seems pretty nice. Not premium, but about as good as you can get for the price range of their devices. My keyboard is one of the more rugged keyboards I've seen, with almost no flex. My brothers Naga feels more than premium considering we got it for $35-40. These headphones don't have the best build quality, but they hold up well. Much better than my Pioneers. I know Razer seems like an over-price, over-hyped brand, and they certainly can be, but I feel they can be like the Apple of peripherals. You may not pay an assload of money for the best, but you pay for (more or less) quality, and a name. I like their products. You don't have to, but I choose to.

I used to own a Kraken pro but i t broke after 2 years of intensive care ( left ear doesnt work anymore). I end up using my Steelseries siberia v2 again (7 years i guess). If you want a good and long lasting product you should never consider their mouse and headset  because i already replaced my Deathadder 2013 twice. (but i would really recommend their mechanical keyboards and mousepad). IMO 

This is my first experience outside of their keyboards. My brother has had his Naga for about two years now, with no problems aside from him forgetting to plug it is from time to time after getting home from school (he usually carries his laptop with him, and leaves the mouse at home). As far as the headset goes, I don't know if I'll keep these long enough to see how long it takes for them to break, as I'll likely return them since they are nice, but there are better options. If I do keep them though, I'll be trading in for the black model. I hate this green color, but it was all they had in store.

You ever own a quality headset? I used to think razer stuff was comfortable too but after getting some real stuff, I can't stand them anymore.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

You ever own a quality headset? I used to think razer stuff was comfortable too but after getting some real stuff, I can't stand them anymore.

Own? No. Use? Yes. I don't know models of the headphones I've used before, but I remember using some Bose, Sennheiser, Astro, and HyperX. However, you don't have to own or use quality headphones in order to think something is comfortable. Some of us don't have the money to buy more premium equipment, so we have to deal with the lesser. Comfort is nothing but an opinion, and mine is that these feel nice. They're light, the padding on mine (ear cups at least) is very comfortable, and (it may be a decent layer of hair), but I think the headband is comfortable as well.

Sorry for not living up to your expectations, I guess. I've done my review, stated my opinion, and fortunately, you don't have to agree with them.

Own? No. Use? Yes. I don't know models of the headphones I've used before, but I remember using some Bose, Sennheiser, Astro, and HyperX. However, you don't have to own or use quality headphones in order to think something is comfortable. Some of us don't have the money to buy more premium equipment, so we have to deal with the lesser. Comfort is nothing but an opinion, and mine is that these feel nice. They're light, the padding on mine (ear cups at least) is very comfortable, and (it may be a decent layer of hair), but I think the headband is comfortable as well.

Sorry for not living up to your expectations, I guess. I've done my review, stated my opinion, and fortunately, you don't have to agree with them.

higher quality doesn't mean it has to be higher priced, razer headsets are meh and overpriced, just asking if these were your first headsets you've bought..

higher quality doesn't mean it has to be higher priced, razer headsets are meh and overpriced, just asking if these were your first headsets you've bought..

Not my first. Had Plantronics RIG (being RMA'd after 3 5 months for a faulty hub, 10/10 would not recommend) for about $10 on Black Friday ($99 full retail), and those are damn good for $10, just like these Razer ones are damn good for the price I payed. Like I said, I've never owned a premium headset, and am open to (preferably private, for now) recommendations of a more premium headset. These are just the first ones I've taken a close enough look at to give my personal feedback on. I'm starting to lean more towards returning them, they're nice to have laying around, but the money could be much better spent. I plan on keeping them until about day 13 of their 14 day return policy. I do want to keep them, in black though, because I like the microphone mechanism. It may not be a nice mic, but I don't have the desk space to use my ATR-2500USB at the moment, as I'm having trouble finding a boom and shockmount that will fit my current setup.

EDIT: Realized it's been a bit longer than three months since Black Friday...

I recently got a pair of the Kraken Pro's (refurbished from NCIX), and I have to say, they are pretty darn comfy after a while, just not to start out with, sometimes I even forget I'm wearing them! The sound isn't the best (obviously), but the mic quality is pretty good. The rubberized cord sucks, it just gets tangled all the time but the single jack cord is really short and I can even use it with my phone. 6.95/10

I recently got a pair of the Kraken Pro's (refurbished from NCIX), and I have to say, they are pretty darn comfy after a while, just not to start out with, sometimes I even forget I'm wearing them! The sound isn't the best (obviously), but the mic quality is pretty good. The rubberized cord sucks, it just gets tangled all the time but the single jack cord is really short and I can even use it with my phone. 6.95/10

You just had to knock that 0.05, didn't you? ;)  The cord was something I completely forgot about, to be honest. Razer has braided cables on so many of their other peripherals, you have to wonder why they wouldn't include it here as well. That's for sure something I should have included. As I stated in my last reply, I'm still trying to decide where or not I want to trade these in for the black model, or return them all together. Honestly, the largest reason influencing me to keep them is the mic. It's not wonderful, but I love the entire mechanism behind it. When you need it, it sits in just the right spot (right at the corner of your mouth), and is very flexible. When you don't need it, it retracts beautifully back into the headset. I freaking love it. However, I have two cardioid condenser mics that I could use for far superior quality, so there's that as well. I'm really up in the air about it :/

I own these - sadly. IMHO I've never had a worse feeling headset ever. They're uncomfortable to wear, and feel like a vice clamp on my head. The build quality is almost a joke.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Canucks are so lazy and point the finger so fast. ;)

Haha, what?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red