Tweaks For Extra Performance

Shaan5

When I first built my PC, I only made a few Tweaks(Besides Getting all of the latest Drivers)

I set DRAM To XMP and I Also set power saving options to High Performance..... That's It.

The PC Performs Fantastic but are there any other simple tweaks that I Could Do in order to Improve my Performance besides Overclocking(Which I Plan On doing)

Thanks

Case: Define R5 I GPU: G1 GTX 970 I CPU: i5 4690k I RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X I PSU:  EVGA 750B2 I Cooler: Noctua NH D15 

MB: ASUS Z97-A I SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB I HDD: WD Black 1TB

specs?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Don't use high performance. It doesn't make your computer faster, it only wastes power. Things you can do is limit your startup programs and use an ssd. Windows by default is already very fast and light. You can disable animations to make your computer appear faster as well.

Don't use high performance. It doesn't make your computer faster, it only wastes power. Things you can do is limit your startup programs and use an ssd. Windows by default is already very fast and light. You can disable animations to make your computer appear faster as well.

I Have An SSD That My OS Is on it.

How Would I limit Startup Programs or disable animations

Case: Define R5 I GPU: G1 GTX 970 I CPU: i5 4690k I RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X I PSU:  EVGA 750B2 I Cooler: Noctua NH D15 

What GPU do you have?
What Ram? what Frequency?

What Type off SSD (the Brand name  at least)

What Motherboard

What CPU

Answer those questions and there's lots we could optimize 

I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.288V                 Corsair Vengeance 12GB Cas8                          Overclocker Thug life
MSI-Gaming-7                                       Corsair Sandforce GT 120gig                             http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R2Jb6h   (Current Build)

OCZ Vertex2 60gig                               Corsair F60 60gig

What GPU do you have?

What Ram? what Frequency?

What Type off SSD (the Brand name  at least)

What Motherboard

What CPU

Answer those questions and there's lots we could optimize 

GTX 970

G Skill Ripjaws X 1866MHZ(XMP Enabled)

Crucial MX100 256Gb

Asus Z97 A 

i5 4690k(Stock...... For Now)

Thanks

are there any other simple tweaks 

Ok lets start with Nvida Settings

Go to your desktop Right click and open the control panel.

Click on manage 3D Settings and click on the Global Settings Tab next to Program settings.

Here, for best optimized performance, I'm only going to choose the settings you'll need to change, If I don't mention it, leave it as it is.
Ambient Occlusion to be set to OFF

Anti-aliasing-FXAA  OFF

Anti-aliasing Transparency  OFF

Multi-Display/Mixed GPU Acceleration SINGLE DISPLAY PERFORMANCE

Power management  Prefer Maximum Performance

Preferred Refresh Rate Highest Available

(With some Games the Shader Cache can cause stutters and hitching, so in the future try turning it on or off if your game is acting weird)

Texture Filtering Quality Performance

Triple Buffering OFF

Vsync OFF

Now look at the left column in the Control Panel and go to Change resolution, make sure that your at your native resolution and at the highest Refresh rate possible.

Okay so we tweaked our GPU software settings, Im assuming you know how to overclock so I won't bother you with the tedious teaching.

Now lets make sure alls well in the OS

So lets assume your running Windows 7 (the same applies to windows 8, or 8.1)

Click on the windows Icon and in Search, type Services,  and open the program.

Scroll down the list until you find a service called Superfetch, right click on it and open properties.

In properties change its "Startup Type" to DISABLED, apply, close and exit the program.

Next, click on the Windows Icon again (or right slick for Windows 8/8.1) and type in search CMD, NOW WAIT don't open it yet, right click on the black box program and open it as Administrator.

A black box will pop up and you only have to type this in all lower case with the spaces and all.

powercfg /h off

Hit enter and your done, exit the program.

Now lets head back to the ooh so glorious search engine in your windows icon! 

This time type in Power Options and open the program called Porwerrrrrrrrrr Options! :)

Click the circle that says High Performance next to it, if you don't see the option, click on Show additional plans

and then you should see it. Now don't close it just yet, we need to change one more thing.

Next to the High Performance option is (In all blue text) Change Plan settings, click on that!

Now click on change advanced power settings and click on hard disk.

Then click again on Turn off hardisk after, and under the setting: put in 0, then hit apply. (this will make sure your SSD never sleeps!...cause sleep is for Pussies!)

Now close all those windows and exit to the desktop after your done applying all the settings.

There is another tweak you can apply but I forgot how to do it, I just remember it had to do with Disabling Prefetching 

Finally I have to ask before I can do this next tweak, do you have 2 ssd's or just 1?

because how you optimize your Page file data will greatly impact this next tweak.

Hope all this helps, if I remember anything else I will EDIT

EDIT1: there is also some tweaking you can do , like static voltage on CPU instead of dynamic 

And also if you go to this website below and download the Set core parking Utility, you can keep all your cores clocked at 100% or w/e you feel. 

http://coderbag.com/Programming-C/CPU-core-parking-manager

EDIT2: Another tweak, to ensure that all your cores are being used when your computer boots up, that can be done is clicking on

the windows icon, and then typing in search msconfig . You can edit how applications load, and disable others from loading with this tool under the startup tab, but for this tweak click boot.

Then in the new window check mark Number of processors and set the amount of cores to 4. Remember to always hit apply to what your doing!

I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.288V                 Corsair Vengeance 12GB Cas8                          Overclocker Thug life
MSI-Gaming-7                                       Corsair Sandforce GT 120gig                             http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R2Jb6h   (Current Build)

GTX 970

G Skill Ripjaws X 1866MHZ(XMP Enabled)

Crucial MX100 256Gb

Asus Z97 A 

i5 4690k(Stock...... For Now)

Thanks

Nvidia Inspector. Get the program.

next to "Driver Version" There is a little tool symbol, click that.

Scroll down to Sync and Refresh>Frame Rate Limiter> Set your desired FPS.

Why do this?

your graphics card trying to get AS MANY FPS AS POSSIBLE BLEH! is not as important as making sure it maintains your monitors actual obtainable frame rate.

Example

Your limiter is not on, so you are getting 120+ fps, now your graphics card is running at 99% and getting hot, and stuff of that nature. (so by enabling it with this kind of results will save you some energy.)

Another example you are getting 75fps, now your graphics card is at 99% and getting hot, and also might dip down below 60fps during some craziness, and as 99% of you GPU is getting used, it doesnt have the power redily available to help keep up above 60fps.

So by enabling the cap you get somethin gliek 65fps and you are at 80% GPU load, leaving 20% ready for if something crazy goes off, your GPU can now access the resources needed to keep you above 60fps.

My monitor is 60 fps monitor, so i set my to 65 Limiter. This gives a little buffer so I dont drop below 60fps.

GL

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

How Would I limit Startup Programs or disable animations

Piriform's CCleaner has startup restriction functionality for programs. It usually doesn't populate every program or service that starts with Windows, however it does show many worst offenders.

For the things it does not find open Task Manger on startup and find the running process you do not want to run @ startup.

This may require you to click "Show processes from all users", right click the process and click "Go to services", note the name of the service.

Win key + search for "services" click the gear icon w/services, find the service, right click, go to properties.

Within the "Startup type:" toggle down from Auto and change to Manual.

Now this service will only start when you execute a program that calls for it.

If you have an iOS device that you connect to your computer this is invaluable (IMO) iTunes loads up ~5-8 of these god damn things that continuously run in the background at startup.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Ok lets start with Nvida Settings

Go to your desktop Right click and open the control panel.

Click on manage 3D Settings and click on the Global Settings Tab next to Program settings.

Here, for best optimized performance, I'm only going to choose the settings you'll need to change, If I don't mention it, leave it as it is.

Ambient Occlusion to be set to OFF

Anti-aliasing-FXAA  OFF

Anti-aliasing Transparency  OFF

Multi-Display/Mixed GPU Acceleration SINGLE DISPLAY PERFORMANCE

Power management  Prefer Maximum Performance

Preferred Refresh Rate Highest Available

(With some Games the Shader Cache can cause stutters and hitching, so in the future try turning it on or off if your game is acting weird)

Texture Filtering Quality Performance

Triple Buffering OFF

Vsync OFF

Now look at the left column in the Control Panel and go to Change resolution, make sure that your at your native resolution and at the highest Refresh rate possible.

Okay so we tweaked our GPU software settings, Im assuming you know how to overclock so I won't bother you with the tedious teaching.

Now lets make sure alls well in the OS

So lets assume your running Windows 7 (the same applies to windows 8, or 8.1)

Click on the windows Icon and in Search, type Services,  and open the program.

Scroll down the list until you find a service called Superfetch, right click on it and open properties.

In properties change its "Startup Type" to DISABLED, apply, close and exit the program.

Next, click on the Windows Icon again (or right slick for Windows 8/8.1) and type in search CMD, NOW WAIT don't open it yet, right click on the black box program and open it as Administrator.

A black box will pop up and you only have to type this in all lower case with the spaces and all.

powercfg /h off

Hit enter and your done, exit the program.

Now lets head back to the ooh so glorious search engine in your windows icon! 

This time type in Power Options and open the program called Porwerrrrrrrrrr Options! :)

Click the circle that says High Performance next to it, if you don't see the option, click on Show additional plans

and then you should see it. Now don't close it just yet, we need to change one more thing.

Next to the High Performance option is (In all blue text) Change Plan settings, click on that!

Now click on change advanced power settings and click on hard disk.

Then click again on Turn off hardisk after, and under the setting: put in 0, then hit apply. (this will make sure your SSD never sleeps!...cause sleep is for Pussies!)

Now close all those windows and exit to the desktop after your done applying all the settings.

There is another tweak you can apply but I forgot how to do it, I just remember it had to do with Disabling Prefetching 

Finally I have to ask before I can do this next tweak, do you have 2 ssd's or just 1?

because how you optimize your Page file data will greatly impact this next tweak.

Hope all this helps, if I remember anything else I will EDIT

EDIT1: there is also some tweaking you can do , like static voltage on CPU instead of dynamic 

And also if you go to this website below and download the Set core parking Utility, you can keep all your cores clocked at 100% or w/e you feel. 

http://coderbag.com/Programming-C/CPU-core-parking-manager

EDIT2: Another tweak, to ensure that all your cores are being used when your computer boots up, that can be done is clicking on

the windows icon, and then typing in search msconfig . You can edit how applications load, and disable others from loading with this tool under the startup tab, but for this tweak click boot.

Then in the new window check mark Number of processors and set the amount of cores to 4. Remember to always hit apply to what your doing!

I have a Single SSD

Will These tweaks help my in game FPS. Are any of these dangerous

Nvidia Inspector. Get the program.

next to "Driver Version" There is a little tool symbol, click that.

Scroll down to Sync and Refresh>Frame Rate Limiter> Set your desired FPS.

Why do this?

your graphics card trying to get AS MANY FPS AS POSSIBLE BLEH! is not as important as making sure it maintains your monitors actual obtainable frame rate.

Example

Your limiter is not on, so you are getting 120+ fps, now your graphics card is running at 99% and getting hot, and stuff of that nature. (so by enabling it with this kind of results will save you some energy.)

Another example you are getting 75fps, now your graphics card is at 99% and getting hot, and also might dip down below 60fps during some craziness, and as 99% of you GPU is getting used, it doesnt have the power redily available to help keep up above 60fps.

So by enabling the cap you get somethin gliek 65fps and you are at 80% GPU load, leaving 20% ready for if something crazy goes off, your GPU can now access the resources needed to keep you above 60fps.

My monitor is 60 fps monitor, so i set my to 65 Limiter. This gives a little buffer so I dont drop below 60fps.

GL

I'm Kind Of Confused. Why not just turn on Vsync and Cap your FPS at your monitors Refresh rate.

I have Nvidia Inspector

I'm kind of a Noob Though 

Thanks

Piriform's CCleaner has startup restriction functionality for programs. It usually doesn't populate every program or service that starts with Windows, however it does show many worst offenders.

For the things it does not find open Task Manger on startup and find the running process you do not want to run @ startup.

This may require you to click "Show processes from all users", right click the process and click "Go to services", note the name of the service.

Win key + search for "services" click the gear icon w/services, find the service, right click, go to properties.

Within the "Startup type:" toggle down from Auto and change to Manual.

Now this service will only start when you execute a program that calls for it.

If you have an iOS device that you connect to your computer this is invaluable (IMO) iTunes loads up ~5-8 of these god damn things that continuously run in the background at startup.

Would This improve my FPS. Seems Like a great program though so I'll get it anyway 

Thanks

Would This improve my FPS. Seems Like a great program though so I'll get it anyway 

Thanks

Highly doubtful if you're talking about CPU load on a 4690k :lol:

It'll help streamline your OS and reduce some of the outstanding bugs Windows is known for, while at the same time reducing OS CPU overhead -as little as that may be on a current gen CPU.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Highly doubtful if you're talking about CPU load on a 4690k :lol:

It'll help streamline your OS and reduce some of the outstanding bugs Windows is known for, while at the same time reducing OS CPU overhead -as little as that may be on a current gen CPU.

Whatever, Downloaded it anyway

I'm Kind Of Confused. Why not just turn on Vsync and Cap your FPS at your monitors Refresh rate.

I have Nvidia Inspector

I'm kind of a Noob Though 

Thanks

Using Vsync will limit you to your CPU attempting to sync all frames with the gpu properly and work with the monitor to reduce scren tearing. (is screen tearing an issue? Now a days, no never, in my experience anyway.)

Turning on Vsync EATS your FPS in certain scenarios.

The tweaks I explained are 100% safe, just follow them and don't mess with anything else.

Every time I load a fresh computer for a gamer I make these tweaks and have had no complaints.